Lets Judge Kellen Clemens On One Throw!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, May 2, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Exactly. That is why I made the post to begin with. He won't be a great QB because of that one play, but it does to prove to all of us he has the deep ball that the Jets haven't had in a long time.

2. lightning

lightning Active Member

we had that deep ball a few years back with 16, it was just a dumbass throwing it

3. PennyandtheJets

Haha...exactly

4. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Exactly. His arm strength of NFL caliber. Durablilty should be the Jets biggest concern.

5. Tight

Tight Active Member

He did not have a great combine. Ankle was still bothering him. Couldnt push off properly.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

From what I've gleaned, from both highlight films and scouting reports, of the top 4 QB's drafted, arm strength from one to four is:
    Cutler
    Clemens
    Young
    Leinart

The thing with Clemens is that he does have to set his feet and throw on deep passes. He doesn't have the "pure" arm strength of Cutler, throwing off the wrong foot or on the move the way Cutler can. He has to set up first, but once he does, he's got plenty of arm to throw long.

I did find it interesting the way the Clemens pick went down. Apparently, there were quite a few teams that had the Croyles and Whitehurst's ranked in the 5 to 10 range on their boards..... Minny wanted Clemens, and when the Jets jumped them, they went with Jackson instead of the "consensus" QB draft rankings. Omar Jacobs almost went undrafted.

Clemens was still not recovered from the broken ankle at the combine....and his stock on the consensus draft boards dropped because of that, and the fact he missed almost half the season due to the injury at Oregon.

Other than the Clemens quasi-bashing in the thread starter, I agree with the other points. I still would have liked Cutler at 4, regardless.

7. MarquetteJetsFan

MarquetteJetsFan New Member

My bad. I thought I had read that somewhere...

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I think that JV just learned a lesson that I learned way back last week:

Never ever say anything bad about Kellen Clemens ever.

It doesn't really matter anyway, he's never going to start for the Jets anyway.

9. azjet

azjet New Member

Because the only winner the Jets can call their own wore that "gunslinger" tag and a misguided love affair with Vinnie and his arm. It was before my time but didn't Namath take a hell of a beating from a diminished O-line in the years after the SB. I always saw VT as a self-centered pr**k who never won the big one at any level and rode the MNM for a long time. Has he retired to the Natural History Museum yet? The important slot this year is RB cause nobody wins without that threat. Anybody see a timed 40 for Clemens this year? He didn't run at the combine because of a knee strain not the ankle. Probably from busting all those broncos and all that rootin tootin roundup stuff.

10. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

second strongest he wasnt far behind Cutler

11. PennyandtheJets

Yup. He wasn't even 100% healthy at the combine.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So you either think:

A. Penny will fully recover
    B. Ramsey will all of a sudden learn how to be a Qb
    C. We have the #1 pick in the draft and draft Brady Quinn

Which one is it? I say none of the above and Kellen Clemens is our starter by wk 12..

13. PennyandtheJets

So we wasted a second round pick on Kellen Clemens just to be a backup for his entire career as a Jet? Doesn't make any sense bud...

14. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

Are you sure about that? Kellen Clemens had a horrible combine, couldn't make any throws and lacked velocity because of his ankle still healing. At least thats what I heard, but I also heard he has the 2nd strongest arm in the draft behind Cutler (maybe not better then Brodie). Idk I remember reading something about him having a horrible combine.

15. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

What that shows you is that often it is the coach and the system rather than the QB. Look what Vinnie did in '98.

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Thank you for proving my point.

17. PennyandtheJets

Well your point is wrong. We DIDN'T waste a second round pick on Kellen to ride the pine. That doesn't happen. Even Philip Rivers is going to play after they had a QB go to the probowl.

18. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Actually, my point was that people will freak out if you say anything negative at all about Clemens.

I don't understand this emphasis that people put on arm strength. Clemens does not have good arm strength, and anybody who watched a full one of his games (like vs. USC or Arizona State last season for example) would see that. If he is going to be a winning QB in the NFL then it will be with his head and his accuracy (which he can hopefully improve,) not with arm strength.

BTW I don't understand your point about Rivers and Clemens. The Jets moved down in the second round to take Clemens and the Chargers drafted Rivers with the 4th overall pick. Rivers was never intended to sit on the bench, he just happened to come to camp late and see Brees take off in front of him.

The Jets hope that Clemens will develop into a franchise QB, but they have not invested their future in him.

19. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Everyone is missing the most important point...

In PATJ avatar, Clemens looks a lot like Chuck Norris!

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You don't take Qbs in the 2nd round if you think they are gonna be a career back up. Our FO thinks he is the future at the QB position and chances are the future starts next year at some point...