Let us Never Compare Peyton to Brady again

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by nyjunc, Feb 3, 2014.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Peyton is an all time great w/o a doubt, obvious 1st ballot HOFer and one of the 10 best QBs to ever play this game but let's stop putting him among the select few that have a legit argument for greatest of all time.

I don't base it on one game, his team was badly outplayed, he wasn't the only one to play poorly(and PLEASE don't bring up his comp % or completions) but this is a continuing trend throughout his career. He played great in the AFC playoffs, he was on the verge of the greatest single season in NFL history and he and Denver blew it.

On his resume he now has 3 games where he led his teams to less than 10 pts in playoff losses:

ZERO at NYJ 2002
    3 at NE 2004
    8 vs. Sea 2013

He has consistently had the best talent to work with yet only 1 SB title in a postseason where his D dominated and he threw 3 TDs and 7 INts and had one great half in 4 postseason games.

In his 12 playoff losses, he has led his high powered O's to 14.3 PPG

In Brady's 2 SB losses he left the field late w/ a lead, in manning's 2 SB losses he was trailing by 7 late and driving and threw an INT for a TD to end it. In the other one he was almost shut out.

All time great QB, stop comparing him to Brady, Montana, etc...

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He will never be the greatest of all time after last night, when I envision the greatest of all time, I dont envision a performance like that on such a big stage. His legacy doesn't change though, he still is one of the greatest ever.

3. nyjunc

absolutely one of the best ever, just not in the discussion for greatest of all time.

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Please, he had not had the greatest talent to work with. His offensive talent around him was great at times, but at the expense of a running game or other parts. Don't give me the James was a great running back nonsense. He was good because of Manning. Manning had also had some lackluster defenses around him. I'm not saying he isn't pay off the reason they lost yesterday, but give Seattle some credit here. There isn't a qb ever who at that stage last night beats that Seattle defense. They were just prepared to play. Peyton is still the greatest ever, Brady won because they cheated, and he hasn't won since.

5. nyjunc

:lol::lol: good response.

6. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

I dont see any QB in the history of the game having much success against that defense. It's that good and arguably the best of all time.

Peyton stunk yesterday(as did the entire team) but Seattle was the much, better team.

7. nyjunc

Seattle's D was great but Denver's O was awful. This wasn't the '85 bears, NO and SF had their moments on the ROAD at Seattle where it is near impossible for road teams to win w/ half the talent Peyton had to work with.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

9. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Peyton was shook, no question. But yeah this Seattle defense is the best I've ever seen though...I was too young to watch the Bears. The speed is unreal...theer's no crazy blitzes or anything they are just bigger/faster/stronger.

Their dline took away Peyton's presnap reads...the mobile QB is a better bet against this type of team.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I really don't care where he falls on the best of all time list, he's still one of the best of all time. And yes, top 10 puts him on the list of best of all time.

Despite his losing years, Brady still holds Best Ever tittle, IMO.

11. nyjunc

Sea played a great game, they have a great D but again at home in the playoffs against less talented Os they allowed more pts. This D is not in the conversation w/ the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens or '02 Bucs who are the 3 best Ds I have seen. That doesn't meant hey aren't great b/c they are just not quiet on the level of the other ones.

Do Jet fans see what a real great D looks like by the way? please don't ever say the 2009 & 2010 Jet Ds were great.

12. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Adjusted for schedule the Seahawks rate higher than the 00 Ravens and 02 Bucs. The 02 Bucs are the closest.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

THATS WHAT IM SAYING, now people should realize Sanchez wasnt carried by the defense. If we had that defense it would have been defined as "carried" but our defense never resembled a defense that good.

14. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

The Super Bowl loss was hardly Manning' fault. The football gods were pissed at Denver for being mean to Tim Tebew.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Just depends what you put more weight on: individual records or playoff victories. To me it's a bit of both. I don't think you can say a QB with the most passing yards is be default the best QB of all time but I don't think you literally rank QBs in order of most rings to least rings and that's it. It's a combination of the two. For example I would say Peton is better than Eli even though Eli has more rings but, as much as it pains me to say it, Brady is better than Peyton despite not having as many individual records as Peyton.

So, I guess in general I concur that Peyton isn't the greatest of all time, especially after yesterday.

16. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Manning just took Bradys pants off last week...Imagine the score of Seattle vs New England.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Peyton Manning was a better QB than Tom Brady in their primes. He's aging now and he's had surgeries and he's not able to play against the kind of pressure the Seahawks brought last night.

If the Pats had somehow made the Super Bowl the result would likely have been just as lopsided. The only thing that was going to win that game for the AFC last night was Russell Wilson having a bad game and instead he was an excellent game manager for the Seahawks.

I expect both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to be retired headed into the 2015 season.

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

No point in discussing it really but I think NE would have done a little better because Brady's short game is better but they still would have lost handily

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

History dont lie though, losing a Super Bowl sets a franchise back 5+ years.

I can definately say that the Denver Broncos will not be winning the Super Bowl anytime soon. The window shut last night. They might make noise but they wont be hoisting the trophy. I said the same thing about the 49ers last year and the Patriots the year before, (Colts, Bears, Cardinals, Steelers etc.)

#19 soxxx, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

just reaffirms the Jets are cursed. Denver only spent a week in Florham Park and it ruined them.

I'm now amazed the Jets went .500, Rex is the best coach of all time.