Let me put the #1 WR issue to rest...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 4, 2009.

1. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

Obviously you didn't follow the Giants at all last year as it was Plaxico who made it possible to get them to the Superbowl. OT game against GB ring any bells (11 Rec, 151 Yds)?

2. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Definitely some great points, and you have persuaded me a little bit. BUT if you look at the WRs you named who werent elite, most were at least pretty good and every team had experienced wideouts (i.e Mason, Ward, Holmes, White, Jenkins, etc.). If you look at our roster, who do we have? We have a decent #2 receiver in Jerricho Cotchery. And then we have one guy who has proven he can be a decent 3rd down threat in Stuckey. One guy who has caught one career pass in Clowney. One guy who's on the team for special teams in Wallace Wright. And one guy who has never ever seen the field before in Marcus Henry. That's a receiving corpse far weaker than the Titans' and the Titans had perhaps THE best defense and running game in the NFL. There's no doubt we can get by, if everything else comes together. But there is no doubt we need to sign/draft a guy who can come in and make plays as a 1 or 2 if we want to actually do some damage this year.

3. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

This post is a great example of how to spin things to make your point. The Texans stink, the Lions stink, the Browns stink, Romo was injured, Brady was injured, Palmer was injured, etc. etc. etc. Of course Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, Don Manynard, Plaxico Burress, Marvin Harrison, etc. etc. etc. had nothing to do with their teams winning the Super Bowl. :breakdance:

4. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

You implied Plax being gone was the reason the Giants collapsed and that's not the case. NYG got raped by Philly and Plax wouldn't have done anything to change that.

5. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Well you're spinning his words as well. He's not saying that WRs do not help you win the super bowl, obviously they can. What he is saying is that you CAN win a super bowl or be a good team without an elite WR, and WR is far from the most important position in the NFL. He's just stressing the fact that if we don't go out and get a great WR, we'll still be fine.

6. JetsFanatic389

How can you infer that lol?

OK I have a better question for you. Did Plax's absence hurt Eli and the Giants?

7. Long Time Jet Fan

You can win a Super Bowl without an elite player at any position. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a heck of a lot easier with one.

8. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I can infer that because that's exactly what you said.

Sure it hurt but that was hardly their biggest problem.

9. Long Time Jet Fan

Uh, of course it did. Even if he wasn't playing well he drew the attention of the opposition, thus creating more opportunities for other players.

10. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Then what was? What was the confounding variable that led to the Giants collapse that coincidentally occured at the same exact time that Plaxico went out.

11. JetsFanatic389

You said "NYG got raped by Philly and Plax wouldn't have done anything to change that."

My question asking how you can make that inference related to this statement made by you.

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

fact: the jets would not have gotten to the super bowl without don maynard, and although he was a decoy in the game, would not have won the super bowl without george sauer. it takes more than one reliable receiver. heck, clemens would have beaten the ravens in 2005 without another drop from mc catchless.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ok... let me add my two cents here:

It is true that the absence of Plax hurt the Giants' chance last year. In a nutshell, with Plax gone, they couldn't stretch the field, which in turn hurt their running game.

So in that regard, you do have a point.

My gripe with the argument above is that, one man does not make a whole team. There are ten other guys who needs to step up when shit hits the fan. Ok - maybe Giants receivers weren't gifted as Plax in speed and physical dimension. Does that mean Giants couldn't have done any better? To that, I have to say no. If Bill Walsh has contributed anything in offensive philosophy, it is that if you cannot stretch the field vertically, you should stretch it horizontally - this Giants could do, no doubt. If anything, they have Toomer who will give you a consistent yard if unchecked. It's just they didn't do it. If a team is as stocked as the Giants are, it takes more than one failure to collapse. I'd say the blame goes more to Kevin Gilbride than the absence of Plax.

14. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I agree, you can win a super bowl without an elite player at any single position. And it just so happens that all those teams he named that were successful happened to be without an elite player at the WR position...because its just not that important, or not as important as almost every other position.

Here is my list of the most important positions for a 3-4:

1) QB
    2) LT
    3)NT
    4) OLB
    5) RT
    6) CB
    7) ILB
    8) LG
    9) RG
    10) C
    11) WR
    12) S
    13) HB
    14) TE
    15) FB
    16) K
    17) P

15. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I just did that off the top of my head, so if i missed something, dont judge me

16. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

You really think missing one WR caused an entire offense to fail? Obviously his absence was a factor, but I think the whole dilemma itself was a huge distraction and the team lost focus and momentum. Losing his athletic presence, again was a factor, but didn't cause them to lose all those games. I mean the Giants had no trouble steamrolling Washington without him. That's just my take.

17. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

If Cris Carter isn't a first ballot Hall of Famer, no way Hines Ward will be.

18. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

trade down and get more picks, then draft ol and dl for dept or maybe a cb

19. Heavy Metal Thunder

Whoa hold up. I never said that WR was not an important position. Every position is important. In fact, I have stated before on this board that I think the Jets should draft a WR in either the first or 2nd round. I am merely saying that many of the people on this board are dillusional if they think a team cannot be an elite team without a big name, high profile WR. I think that we can be successful through the air with Cotchery, someone like Kenny Britt (maybe in the 2nd rd), and Clowney, especially since we have a great pass catching TE in Keller and since we have a RB that is capable of racking up more receiving yards ala Westbrook, Gore, Reggie Bush.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't think you ever waste your 1st round pick on a receiver unless that is the last piece of the offense you need to make it complete. They are very over rated and every year fewer are taken in the first round.