Leon Washington OUT FOR THE SEASON

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sanchizeqb, Oct 25, 2009.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Terrible Loss no doubt about that but one bright thing is that it will give Greene the chance to show what he's got and so far i really like what i see. Kids a tough nose runner who doesn't go down easy. Great game from him, but it sucks Leon is done 4 the year.

2. All Star

All Star Active Member

Maybe watching Leon's 4.5+ Million go down the drain will teach them to take the money rather than fight for every penny. I have nothing wrong with paying him, sign him to his one year RFA tender, let him prove he is still the same player, and then give him a lucrative contract offer. No reason to pay him until we have to. Don't forget, the players understand as well that this is a business. And he's not in financial limbo while he's dealing with this injury, he is still under contract.

3. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Even if the Jets showed loyalty and offered him the contract, no other player is going to remember that and show loyalty when their contract time shows up. That player will be thinking about themselves, and understandably so. The only other reason they would stay is if we are good and they like winning. No one would look at the Leon situation and say, "You know, they were so nice to Leon, I think I'll stay around because they were so nice to him". Yes, it would be a good gesture, but it would not be financially smart. You can't stay competitive in the NFL and be financially stupid. Ask the Redskins.

Again, he had his chance to sign, and for really good money. Its not like we never offered him anything. Plus, according to that article, it looks like he took out an insurance policy in case of injury with Lloyd's of London, so he has a back-up policy.

You asked what reason do other players have to show loyalty to the New York Jets? None, except if they like winning (if we continue winning) or they make really good money. Same as with any other team. The days of players sticking with a team because they are attached to them or "love the city" are gone. I don't like it either, but that's the way it is.

4. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Indeed it is a bit sad, takes some of the "magic" out of the game.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Loyalty? Puhleaze. This is about money. If you are a pro football player you are trying to make as much of it as you possibly can because your career is very short. That is why Leon kept refusing the Jets offers. He figured there was more money available. He was trying to make as much money as possible. He was not worried about loyalty.

6. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Sombody explain this to me.

It was ok for LW to pass on the standing offer. After all, he wants financial security and is a team player and blah blah blah. But NOW, when the shoe is on the other foot, it would be "evil" of the Jets to lower the offer. Are you people fucking high? He got hurt. Tough shit. You played, you lost. Get over it. Accept the shittier deal. Better luck next time. Honeslty, if he asks for $4.5 a year, I'd let him walk. Thanks for your work and good luck.

Amen.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

More good news from his agent-

"@JimmyJets he is doing well. Upbeat and ready to rehab. I will pass the word. He would love to hear that"

Sounds good to me!!

9. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

Tough loss for you guys. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

10. MadBacker Prime

Thank you!!

Kind words from a division rival, I wish phin fans had have the class.

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

He was loyal enough to PLAY....

The Jets are going to give him the money they offered already.

This is a non-issue and people are going little bonkers here.

12. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Leon was 1 of the most explosive players we have ever had. A team player who filled many roles. I hope he can fully recover from this devastating injury.

13. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Geeeez... this is 100% business and offering him any kind of a long term contract would be a dumb move. They don't even know if he can play again to begin with, let alone play the way he used to.

Like I said before, 1 year deal with incentives. As some people have already pointed out in this thread, he's a running back and he's the type that relies on making quick moves with his legs. His leg is broken, so it's really a big question mark at this point if he can still perform on a high level.

14. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

thnx..stay classy.

15. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Thats the thing, a leg fracture isn't the kind of injury that you don't come back from. If he had torn an ACL, there would be real doubt about how he'd look when he returns, and it would be a poor investment to resign him before you know. Theres no such doubt here, he'll be the same guy at the beginning of next year he was at the beginning of this year. So signing him to an extension now makes just as much financial sense as it did a month ago. Lowering your offer is just kicking a guy when he's down.

Every year we see players in contract years sit out training camp, and occasionally you'll hear guys talk about a avoiding contact in a contract year because they don't want to risk losing their payoff. Leon could've done those things, but he didn't. He came here every day and worked as hard as anybody on the team. He didn't run out of bounds to avoid contact, he ran as tough as he could, despite being the smallest guy on the field. If we want to see his buddies on the team coming to training camp and playing hard when they reach the end of their contracts, you have to let them know the team will be fair to them when things don't go their way on the field.

16. MadBacker Prime

Update:

From AP-

"FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — New York Jets running back Leon Washington has been placed on season-ending injured reserve after having surgery in which a rod was inserted into his broken right leg.
    Washington suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula when an Oakland Raiders defender rolled up on his leg after a 6-yard run in the first quarter of the Jets' 38-0 win Sunday.
    He underwent a two-hour operation at Berkeley's Alta Bates Hospital shortly after the injury, and a rod was inserted into the tibia to stabilize the fracture. The team said doctors expect the fibula to heal on its own.
    Washington will remain in California for a few days, and could return home as soon as Wednesday. The team said it expects Washington to make a full recovery"

Follow the Jets tweets too on Leon.

http://twitter.com/nyjets