Leon Washington a no show at first day of voluntary OTA's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Keels may be a douche but he makes some good points in this paragraph. That being said to be a total team player like Keels says he is a no show doesn't look good.

2. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

i was surprised by what keels said. it actually does make sense. i just wish leon would sign the offer sheet. i highly doubt in this year with a deep draft hes gonna get a ton of interest coming off that injury.

3. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

Leon is done as a JET....IMO

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Except where he ignores the fact Leon WAS rehabbing in NY right up until he got his tender.

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Keels didn't say if the Andrews Institute was esclusive or not.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Esclusive Celebrity Rehab Party. I'll bring the Hennessey, you bring the hoes.

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

get a 2nd, or 3rd for Leon fuck it.

8. Barry the Baptist

Ah... I was not aware of that. Well that certainly changes things.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

From the Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/sports/football/26jets.html?ref=football

Looks like Rex and Leon are far apart on their opinions of Leon's worth to the team.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Looks like nothing's changed. If he signs, great. If not, get what you can for him and draft a RB earlier this year.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It looks like Rex Ryan sees Leon Washington the same way I do: a kick returner that will get a few snaps at running back.

12. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

In fairness, I don't particularly like defining what his role is at this stage; surely camp and actual game performance is what defines a player's role, especially when we've got three players in that position? Someone was talking yesterday about playing the hot hand, I think that's spot on; I don't care what the number is on the jersey, I want the player who's averaging 6 YPC on the field ahead of the player with 2.5 YPC. If you're worried about his injury not holding up for 16 or 19 games, then draft another one, but don't decide what his role's going to be until we've seen what he's going to be capable of.

13. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I think most people knew that coming off of surgery, Leon was going to get eased into whatever role he's given next year. However, I'm most certain that if LT is getting 10 touches a game and is averaging out 3.3 yds per carry while Leon gets 5 touches a game and is churning out 5.5 yds per carry, Rex will eventually have to consider giving LW just as many touches, if not more, as LT. The RB(s) with the hot-hand will play.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Do you really think Rex is that eager to get rid of Leon when he could have a 3rd down RB and Pro Bowl KR for a song at $1.7mil for a year?

Let me put it to you this way: if Rex and Tanny were planning on getting picks for Leon at any juncture before the draft, do you think Rex would be making multiple references to how terrible his injury was? Do you think that's going to give them more or less leverage in trade negotiations?

If anything, Rex's recent comments sound to me like he's trying to scare teams away.

15. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Yeah, that's the way I see it too. He's pissin' Rex off!!!

16. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Everyone knows how terrible the injury was! What Rex wants are players committed to the team and the system.

17. Barry the Baptist

That's what I was thinking, if they wanted to get rid of him he'd be saying how much a bigger role Leon is going to have and how valuable he is to the team and not how expendable he is.

18. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

TJ didn't participate in voluntary workouts last year (I think) and even tho Rex was disappointed, I don't think he managed to "piss Rex off" and went on to have a great year.

I think we're blowing this all out of proportion.

19. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

TJ wasn't coming off a season ending injury... The facility the Jets built is one of the most state of the art facilities in the country, and Rex is right... Jet Doctors etc, should be monitoring his rehab, especially if he's after a new contract... but his agent is a egomaniac who has him WAY over valued... this should be a non issue, but it is

20. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

All I'm saying is, just because Rex is showing he's disappointed that LW is skipping voluntary workouts, doesn't mean Rex Ryan is "pissed off". If anything, TJ had no reason whatsoever to sit out of VW, and yet he didn't show up. Rex didn't put him in the dog-house. He doesn't let his emotions dictate who plays and who doesn't. If you're on the field and performing, he'll play you. If you don't, he'll sit u. Plain as that. LW skipping VW isn't a sure sign that LW is a goner. It just means he's not there, period.