Leon Washington a no show at first day of voluntary OTA's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That doesn't say anything about the Jets not using Chauncey Washington.

If Leon isn't on the Jets or someone gets injured, he's the next guy in line...only if the Jets don't draft a back.

2. ........

........ Trolls

No, I'm not kidding.

Greene and LT enter the season getting the vast majority of the carries, but neither one made it through the whole season healthy last year. If --IF-- one of them gets injured, which is far from an impossible event, Leon gets heavy carries. That's what he's going to have to bank on if he tries to earn a new contract this year, and it's certainly worthy of a conditional, hence the if.

IF you think you know for certain that Greene and LT will remain healthy all season and Leon's carries will DEFINITELY be limited for the full season, more power to you.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

My point is this: Alvin Keels is a moron. :-D

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Leon is 3rd string until/unless some gets hurt. If he gets back to 100%, I agree with Rex that he should return (lol) to returning kicks next year and hopefully he'll also be able to regain 3rd down duties sometime this season.

5. JJB

JJB New Member

Being a professional athlete, Voluntary should mean to every player mandatory. Over here if a footballer did that the fans would be on him and he would be pretty much pushed out the club. Need to put as much effort as you can into being the best you can be.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's still trying to catch on with another team, why would he commit to this one? It's not like Florham Park has the only workout equipment in the state, either. He's probably working with a personal trainer and still rehabbing his leg which won't be ready for him to plant and run on for at least a week.

7. NYSPORTSNUCCA

NYSPORTSNUCCA Banned

Last year everything wrong that could go wrong for Leon went wrong., an injury, the emergence of a rookie and the Jets going to the AFC champ game without him. Wow., thats a lot and now he doesn't participate in training. This spells "B-A-D" for a guy looking for a new contract.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

As Trey Ko been around at all to offer any opinion on the topic?

9. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

TheJetsStream Rex Ryan comes down hard on Leon Washington, says he's making a mistake by rehabbing away from Jets trainers.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

TheJetsStream is Rich Cimini, master of anonymous and out of context quotes.

11. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. It's why I offered it as a quote with the source and nothing else, I'm reserving opinion until I see the context.

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Don't know if this was posted or not-

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

^ I'm not quite sure what that means without context.

14. MadBacker Prime

Here is his full article- "Rex Ryan disappointed that Leon Washington decided to skip NY Jets' voluntary workouts"

#154 MadBacker Prime, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with Rex's way of handling the situation!

16. MadBacker Prime

Yeah it seems very unLeon like though.

I wish Keels broke his freakin leg, actually his mouth.

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I hope he's missing for other reasons rather than just holding his breath because of his contract situation.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Rex is not a happy camper - story from NFL.com

Rex Not Happy

19. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Keel's Response To Rex

March 25, 2010 9:17 PM 4 Comments
    Leon's agent responds to Rex »
    By Rich Cimini

It's turning into a bit of a ping-pong match, but Leon Washington's agent, Alvin Keels, responded today to Rex Ryan's recent comments. Keels' reply came in the form of an e-mail to the Daily News.

Keels didn't rip the Jets, but he made his points.

"Leon is a bit taken back about the reports of him taking a reduced role in 2010, especially since we are 4 months from the opening of camp," Keels wrote. "However, Leon is focused on rehab right now so that he can be the dynamic player in 2010 that he has always been.

"How the Jets plan to use him is totally up to the coaching staff, he just wants to be totally prepared for whatever his role will be. Leon has always been a team player and that isn't going to stop now. Coaches tend to find a way to utilize a guy with his play making ability."

Keels took issue with Ryan's contention that Washington is hurting his rehab by working out on his own and not under the supervision of the Jets' medical staff.

"Leon is currently rehabbing in Florida at the Andrews Institute, one of the best facilities in the country. He would not be able to participate in team drills at this time, so basically he would be coming back to NY to rehab," Keels wrote. "He is a veteran and is familiar with the system so his time away shouldn't hurt much. Players choose to rehab away from the facility all of the time. Leon has simply gotten into a routine that has been working well for him.

"The Jets have been in constant contact with both he and his therapist throughout the rehab process. Him not signing his tender has absolutely nothing to do with being unhappy about a contract, but more to do with the fact that rehab is going well and the deadline for RFA's to sign offer sheets in April 15th. His progression in recovering from this injury will play a large role in possible offers, so why not do as much as you can as far as rehab goes before making any decision on a contract?"

And the beat goes on.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0jFM34V9p

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Alvin - the expression is "taken aback".

You're welcome.