Lee traded to KC for a 6th rounder in 2020 Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 15, 2019.

1. Supposedly Lee tweeted some celebratory candles or something after MAC’s annoucement was made & then quickly deleted it.

Maybe they felt nothing had changed &he was goingto be a distraction moving forward.

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Maybe he’s clearing room to sign a center?

3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I was curious as to how Lee would do as a, “designated pass rusher” role-ala what Maybin had. But guess we’ll never know.

Gotta imagine this was the best offer for Lee and it makes sense that he would do this trade. Given that teams place an emphasis on coverage LB’s like we (and only we) do on 3-4 ends, if Lee really was good (or decentish) in coverage, someone woulda given us something better. A comp pick is based on the amount of $ he would get as a FA which would be not much so forget that. Glad to see Lee go

Not sure Lee was a Mac pick btw, didn’t Bowles say he would be the next Buchanan? Who was good for one season btw, looks like Lee was good for that Detroit game only

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

For a 6th I would have at least given the guy a shot in TC, what a waste.

Ralebird likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup. All the Maccagnan critics who wanted him fired doesn't realize Maccagnan would never trade Lee for a 6th round pick.

How many 6th rounders as only a 3rd year player ranked and were rated as a top 5 LB against the pass? ala the reason why we drafted him athleticism and potential to play the pass.

Gase just wanted to make a statement by releasing Lee as a way to kick former GM Maccagnan while he's down. Without even giving Lee a CHANCE to play alongside Mosley and behind both Leonard and Quinnen. Not cool.

Didn't we trade Vilma away before adding Kris Jenkins? Farrior to Pittsburgh? lol watch Lee flourish in K.C a great franchise I bet they love the Lee addition.

Gase is not a GM. He has no right to trade kids like Lee away for crap picks. What if Williamson gets hurt? This trade screams Gase doesn't want to win this year. Another rebuild here we come.

I bet Gase secretly wants Darnold gone. For "his guy not Maccs". At least I know Maccagnan believed in Sam Darnold and failed with Petty Hack Josh Fitz etc before finally striking gold. We always say us Jet fans draft QBs until one sticks HAH! After adding Bell and an All Pro O-Lineman for his prized QB he's canned. Bet he won't like Jamal Adams in "his" locker room neither. I feel it.

Fk Gase as GM. As coach? Ok. Whatever. See what he had. But GM? Lee for a 6th? Bet he would have traded Teddy for a 5th-7th too. I'm the biggest homer and I hate this Gase situation he ain't no Big Tuna or Belly or even Gruden... He's Gase. Crazy.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s a good move. It makes a statement in the locker room and the team gets better.

He was going to be replaced anyway, that was a given. It just happened today because Lee punched his own ticket with his tweeting. Gase made a statement that that kind of childish bullshit is not tolerated anymore and traded away the backup linebacker. Good for him and good for this team. We move on

chandler likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lee won't be missed. A 6th Round Pick is nothing, but Lee really is tough to figure out value-wise. He is immature. Obviously not too great on the football field. Undersized. Bad attitude. A former 1st Round Pick, but so was Vernon Gholston. I guess a 4th or 5th Round Pick would have been more acceptable but I am not shocked that a team did not offer that for Lee. Also factor in he clearly had no spot on the Jets roster and you lose all bargaining ability.

NCJetsfan and Harpua like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes, why not get something for him? What's the hurry to do it within hours of Gase ascending to the throne? Getting a sixth rounder is almost like getting another UDFA. Gase making this move simply because he can, to show everyone who's boss, is not a valid reason. How many Jets linebackers will be injured between now and September? How many other NFL linebackers will? Look for Kansas City to end up using him successfully or getting better than a sixth rounder for him from a team that suddenly finds themselves needing an LB to fill a new hole.

9. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

What you perceive the Jets should have received for Darron Lee in a trade, and what other teams viewed his worth are two different things.

Darron Lee wasn't very good against the run , or in pass coverage despite what Profootball focus says.( he had one good year in pass coverage against some lousy Qbs) . How many teams threw short against him , and watch the RB truck him .

The Chiefs are moving to a 4-3 defense, and probably fits the best as Wlb in that defense. I don't see him having a lot of success in that division .( probably one year rental for the Chiefs).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It may well be that those of us questioning this trade are overlooking how negative an influence he might've been. His behavior, coupled with his marginal performances, may have made him a classic example of "addition by subtraction" as Branch Rickey called it.

It may also be that Lee was one of the potential pieces in a trade down offer, but Macc valued him higher than he was worth and nixed the trade downs. This might be Gase's way of showing Macc: "See buddy? You could've traded down and gotten more pieces to fill holes, but you overplayed your hand".

Anyone saying that Gase did this simply as a power play needs to provide some facts to support that claim.

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Let the Chip Kelly era begin, this organization is a complete and utter shit show, forever the embarrassment of the NFL

Cman68 likes this.
  12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i hope this is to make a package for a center or chris harris jr

13. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here....

The Jets didn't win the superbowl last year. The fact that someone was a
    1st rd pick on the Jets doesn't mean anything to begin with. But this was a
    1st round pick on a losing team who couldn't even get on the field regularly until
    his *3rd year* and then promptly violated the substance policy...what are you talking
    about?

Lee was an undersized LB, the kind of player the Pats might pick in the 4th
    or 5th round to serve on special teams and be emergency backup linebacker.
    Getting something for him was a bonus. A 6th rounder can be packaged with
    a 3rd to get a second rounder, and so a 6th rounder is a useful piece for someone
    who knows how to draft, even if they are just going to use it to get a
    special teamer, because a good set of special teamers is valuable. I have
    my doubts about Gase, but this trade makes perfect sense to me.

I think some of us have to stop thinking that the Jets are perennial superbowl
    contenders but it's only the coaches on field decisions or something else that prevents
    them from winning it all. Where are the superstars on this team? Where?
    The coach/gm has to pick good players, that's where it starts, maybe this is
    a beginnning.

Ron

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Um, this is likely a trade Mac was already working on.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It amazes me how many excuses and warped explanations I've seen in this thread alone.

Welcome back to the circus.

Feels like home, right?

SOJAZ and kevda5n9ne like this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This was likely a trade that Mac said no freaking way cause I’m not a god damn moron.

#116 Attackett, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Blake Cashman was a 5th round pick

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Doubt it. Happened to fast after he was canned.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That’s actually the complete opposite of what I said but when it comes to Lee you panic, lose control of all bodily functions and begin to flail your arms all over the keyboard.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Far too many people are missing this. Lee has never grown up. He's part of the culture the jets were supposedly trying to change for a long time. Good riddance to mediocre talent with a bad attitude.