Lee lowest graded rookie LB (according to PFF)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jedi mind tricks, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

From article reviewing all first round picks from this year's draft:

20. Darron Lee, LB, Jets (Ohio State)
    Snaps: 593

PFF overall grade: 38.8

Darron Lee has all the athleticism and measurables in the world, but it’s looking less and less likely that there is a football player operating the controls. He is the lowest-graded rookie linebacker in the league and has allowed a passer rating of 132.9 when thrown at in coverage. In fact, the only area PFF measures that Lee has graded well in is discipline, thanks to just two penalties on the season.

Article:
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season/

Idk a lot of you guys seem to love the kid and I think he still has potential but from what I've seen I agree with PFF.
    If he wasn't so athletic Idk if we'd be so optimistic and that just puts him Gohlston territory

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He has been a disappointment in coverage thats for sure. Its not a "write him off" thing because it has just been his rookie year and he looks to have the tools to compete in coverage, but the results there seem to be not following along. As he was getting burned all year in some cases by guys he shouldn't be getting burned by

I havent watched all that closely the last few weeks though, maybe there has been improvements, Idk

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Considering he's learning new things about being an NFL linebacker in terms of responsibilities / coverage, I would assume he would struggle as a 21 year old. It's like a new position to him. That doesn't mean he doesn't have potential because he has A LOT of it. Put the Gholston comparison away please.

I think Lee will be a good player.

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

And other rookie LBs aren't learning a new position?

NYJetsO12 and Jeremy2020 like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lee was a strong side linebacker at OSU, that was it. Typically a LB that flies around the field making tackles, the responsibility he had then is nothing compared to now. It's like a new position. Now he's the quintessential do it all LB. You want him to run, cover, play multiple linebacker positions. He's never been an inside linebacker in a 3-4, nickel, etc packages. Now he has to help get the defense in order.

It's a lot of responsibility. He will be much better next year.

HAYN, Mogriffjr, fansince90 and 3 others like this.
  6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Lee has already outperformed Gholston in every aspect. Absurd.

iJet, HAYN, Mogriffjr and 6 others like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like Lee. Hard to judge a rookie LB on a shitty defense completely under-performing all season. I still think he has a bright future.

8. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Landon Collins is the poster boy for this, he was down right horrible in his rookie year last year.I actually think PFF might have had him as one of the lower ranked starting safeties in the league. Now this year he's been the best safety in the league, i feel like Lees been playing well and think he can honestly grow into a Ryan Shazier type of player. Im not too worried i think he's gonna be a really good player for us. Hackenberg on the other hand, well idk about that guy

fansince90 and Red Menace like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I feel like Lee was a bit like the Pryor pick........a one dimensional player who struggles at that dimension.

hard to justify a first round pick on that.

where he differentiates from Pryor though is attitude and work ethic.
    so hopefully he can still grow in this league...

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I like the kid. I think once the game slows down a bit for him he will be a player that this team can build around on the defense side, along with Leonard. I have seen multiple times in coverage where he was in good position, but the TE made an excellent catch. We're not talking horrible coverage like K-Dub who was constantly trailing the receiver and NEVER could get his head around. Lee has enough of a varied skill set that he should be a solid player going forward. Is he a future star? Who knows. I just temper my expectations that not every first round pick is a future pro-bowler right out of the gate...

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This is gona sound stupid but we're Jet fans and we're all stupid....in coverage, though he did give up a lot of lays, he was in a lot of situations, right there and in pretty good coverage. Love his speed and he can go sideline to sideline. I think we have a player in Lee

fansince90 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I know its only 1 year, but Mac could be in a lot of trouble soon. If Lee is a bust and Hack shows nothing then 2016's draft could be another complete and total whiff. This is why I fear we could be heading towards being the Cleveland Browns very shortly...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I'm not at all surprised by this. Darron Lee was a pure WASTE of the 20th overall. The Jets could have gotten 66 tackles and 1 sack from a FA making the league minimum.

The following is what Bowles told us right after Mac drafted Lee... "Lee will play inside, outside, and cover TE's". Just about every dingbat, delusional Jets fan fell for that crock of shit (not me) hook, line, and sinker.

Here are the objective FACTS:

Lee cannot play inside no matter what defense Bowles is playing, 4-3 or 3-4. Whenever he's making the defensive calls, the entire defense is caught out of position. He's been completely torched in coverage. Whenever he gets engaged by a Tackle? He gets tossed aside like dirty laundry.

So if we're catching up with what I just said, he cannot under any circumstances, cover anyone, least of all TE's. He also cannot play inside period. He's simply too small.

I want to think he'd be good as an OLB in a strictly 4-3? But he simply lacks the lean muscle mass necessary to play outside, so even then the pick is an absurd reach.

The best way to get something out of Lee and Mac can simultaneously save face, is to switch Lee to Safety. That's really his only chance at making it in a 3-4 hybrid. Otherwise, he'll be cut or traded by the end of the 2018 season.

IDFjet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Would this solve our problems?

Lee plays SS
    Pryor plays ILB

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+10 000

LMAO at the inept excuses that the GG is coming up with for a lame ass first round pick ....oh its another guy who plays Defense for a change Pathetic

Shame on MM for listening to the Toilet master on this one

Your Ofense never had a decent OL and can be shooting blanks but lets neglect this department another year ...great

Bowles has been in Macs ear from the get go and these are the results ...feh and poop

Sorry guys but a few future draft picks may have to be sacrificed to get a good Ol and perhaps a quality QB

Live and learn

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

At least he's been around the ball and has had chances to break up the passes when he did get beat in coverage. He's had some Kyle Wilson-esque problems locating the ball while in coverage, which is more understandable for a LB than a CB.

I think this kid will be alright for us but just my opinion.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You follow up your statement of being objective with tons of subjective speculation. He hasn't impressed, but him being an unsuccessful player still remains to be seen.

I agree in that you don't take a guy that can only PROJECT to being a good inside linebacker in the first round. Inside backer is a position you need sure things at if you're spending a first round pick on them and we went against that completely by taking him.

First round inside linebackers need to be studs and day one starters, much like runningbacks. It's a position that relies so much on instincts that it's usually either there or it's not and we fucked up taking him there. He also projects much better as a 4-3 weakside OLB.

I don't think all hope for him is lost, but definitely was not the correct selection. With all that being said, there aren't a ton of players taking after him experiencing a ton of success.

Noah Spence probably would've been a better addition with his 5.5 sacks or Artie Burns who has slipped into the starting lineup for the Steelers. The three wide receivers taken right after him have had trouble getting on the field and OT Germain Ifedi is a starter on one of the worst lines in football.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

HE IS A ROOKIE DEFENSIVE PLAYER UNDER TODD BOWLES!!! HAS ANYONE LOOKED GOOD?

NOT USING THIS SEASON TO EVALUATE OUR PLAYERS SOMETHING WENT WAY WRONG AND IT WAS HARD TO TELL WHO STILL EVEN CARED ANYMORE AFTER THE KC GAME.

OUR SECONDARY WAS PLAYING 15 YARDS OFF OF RECEIVERS WHILE WE WERE BLITZING LMFAO...

WE ASKED QB'S TO PASS FAST AND ALSO PURPOSELY GAVE THEM ENOUGH ROOM TO GET A QUICK PASS OFF EVERY TIME..

WE PRESSED UP WITH NO SAFETY HELP AND GOT BURNED UP TOP RELIGIOUSLY..

OUR PHILOSPHY OR LACK THERE OF SUCKED ASS.

CAN YOU REALLY BE MAD AT 21 YR OLD POSITION TRANSITIONING LEE FOR BEING CONFUSED IN ALL THE CHAOS? BLAME THE COACH!!!

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I AGREE

THE SYSTEMATIC BREAKDOWN AT MULTIPLE POSITIONS POINTS TO COACHING