Lawrance vs Fields. Which one better for the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Oct 4, 2020.

?

Who you like for the Jets in 2021 Draft?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2021.
  1. Lawrance

94.5%
  2. Fields

5.5%
  1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It seems like the consensus is Lawrence over Fields. So I guess the next question is Fields or Darnold?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I am now of the belief that if we have the 1st or 2nd pick we should move on from Darnold.

While I think Lawrence is in another level as a prospect than either Darnold or Fields I think Fields and Darnold are rather close, although I do think Fields likely goes 1 in the Darnold draft.

I’d move on from Darnold for a couple reasons most of which are he is proving not be be durable which is a huge factor but also resetting the QB rookie contract is a very big deal and gives JD a chance to reset the clock.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

So Fields or one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL? I think it's a no brainer.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Darnold over Fields 100%
    If we get 2nd overall we need to trade back and stockpile picks. A lot of good talent out there and we have a lot of holes.

#104 Rockinz, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for whichever one Douglas thinks is best, but man, both guys look absolutely tremendous and I'd be ecstatic to start the rookie QB process all over next year with either one. Fields arm talent is amazing to watch. Dime after dime after dime, and he's also tremendously good on his feet.

6. Fields has great arm talent but will need time. Hes too passive w his feet & can be slow to go through progressions.

I much prefer Lawrence

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So will you ask for a new username?

Lawnasty or Fielnasty?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fields completes 70% of his passes and rushes for 4 yards per attempt. QBs like that succeed in the NFL these days; if Lawrence is gone, we should definitely take Fields.

SoylentGreen, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Fields has played at a level that is unheard of. If he continues, he will be the first Qb off the board.

I don’t think he can do it mind you, but he’s been as close to perfect as a Qb can be. 86.7%, 13 tds 0 int’s, and qb rating of 222... Joe Burrow’s college best ever season had him with a 202 rating.

I’d be happy with either Lawrence or Fields...
    If I had to say which one is a better pro, I’d lean towards Fields right now. There’s a lot of football to be played though...

The guy is a better athlete (both are good!) more accurate and turns the ball over less throwing and the game seems to slow up more for him vs Lawrence under pressure. Fields is more in line with the best Qb’s in the NFL today so there’s that too.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sadly I suppose I will have to.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Snatch Catch

I'm just throwing this out there because I've been thinking a lot about the Fields/Lawrence debate. With Trevor being the clear #1 selection of the majority at this point, I was wondering about his height.

I know his skills appear to be generational, and his production is phenomenal. I don't challenge any of that. With regards to his height, here is the historical list of NFL quarterbacks 6'6" or taller. It may mean nothing, but there's not a single Hall of Famer or even franchise QB in there at quick glance. Nick Foles and Joe Flacco appear to be as good as it's gotten in NFL history for QBs 6'6" and taller...

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/25-Tallest-Quarterback-to-Ever-Play-in-the-NFL
    • Justin Herbert
    • Jake Luton
    • Derek Anderson
    • Matt Blundin
    • Tyler Bray
    • Joe Flacco
    • Nick Foles
    • Josh Freeman
    • Ryan Mallett
    • Sean Mannion
    • Brian McClure
    • John Navarre
    • Tony Pike
    • Johnathan Quinn
    • JaMarcus Russell
    • Matt Schaub
    • John Skelton
    • Nate Sudfeld
    • Logan Thomas
    • Marc Wilson
    • Scott Mitchell (6'6.5")
    • Sonny Gibbs (6'7")
    • Mike Glennon (6'7")
    • Paxton Lynch (6'7")
    • Brock Osweiler (6'7")
    • Frank Patrick (6'7")
    • Dan McGwire (tallest QB ever, 6'8")

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

A good amount of first round picks here but not one (I don't think) guy who went first overall. Don't think I'm too worried about him being too tall outside of increased injury risk.

Snatch Catch and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of Fields numbers. He hasn't had to make a difficult throw all season. His line is giving him a 5 yard radius on all sides and his receivers are giving him 5+ yards of separation right now.

He won't have those luxuries in the NFL, especially with the Jets.

blackssmagic likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. It should be an advantage. He can see over the OL and incoming pass rushers better, there should be fewer chances of his passes getting knocked down at the LOS, and it should help him with seeing the whole field

15. Snatch Catch

Yeah, I'm with all that 100%. Being taller logically makes sense as an advantage for a quarterback. It's just interesting when you look at the data and see that in a century of professional football there's never been a great NFL QB who was 6'6" or taller. Thousands of QBs through the years, and not a single tall one even close to the HOF or even perennial All-Pro.

Oh, and JaMarcus Russell was a #1 overall, but he had other problems obviously.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Things evolve and change. Athletes are bigger, faster and stronger than ever before. 30 years ago it was unheard of for an Edge to be as fast as some WRs. Now some have been. 30 years ago there weren't many running QBs or black QBs. Now there are quite a few. It's not really surprising that there hasn't been a successful tall QB before. In the past, many tall men weren't that agile or fast, or they gravitated to basketball. How many really tall baseball players were there before Dave Winfield? How many one-handed pitchers before Jim Abbott?

I'm not worried about Lawrence or his height at all.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Both Clemson and Ohio State play at noon today. I am DVR’ing both games. I will fast forward and watch every throw of Lawrence and Fields.

@legler82 - Boss. Will you be watching the games today?

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is my first time watching Fields and he has made a bunch of mistakes early. We will see how he handles it the rest of the game.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, he's pretty ineffective in this game.

Gotta say though, I'm pretty big on Penix. I'd definitely reach for him. He's pretty slippery in the pocket and fits those balls into tight spots.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Fields has looked really bad this game. That last interception gave me Darnold PTSD.

Brook! likes this.