Lawrance vs Fields. Which one better for the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Oct 4, 2020.

?

Who you like for the Jets in 2021 Draft?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2021.
  1. Lawrance

94.5%
  2. Fields

5.5%
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whoa! What might have been...

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A bust 3 years in because the Jets would have hired Adam Gase.

4. NCJetsfan

No, Mahomes wouldn't have busted even because of Gase. He was and is too good.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's something we will never know the answer to, I said that tongue-in-cheek.

Personally, I believe Mahomes landed in the right spot with the right talent and coaching staff around him to become what he is today. That isn't to take anything away from him though, the dude has all-world level talent and will go down as one of the greatest, if the not the great QB to ever play the game.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Watched QB1 on Netflix with Justin Fields in it. I still haven't seen him play much but not the hugest fan of his personality based on the show. Seems hyper arrogant which I guess could be a good thing but I got a sense of entitlement which makes me think he's not the hardest worker in the world. Seemed quite athletic and talented though.

Granted this was all in High School so I'm sure he's changed quite a bit since then. Just my 2 cents.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Bummer but I can't seem to get too excited about who the Jets may draft as far as QB goes until they figure out who their next coach is. I think Lawrence is still the top of the pack since I haven't seen Fields play at all. The coach is the key if they pick #1.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I can see that. I was similarly put off by his attitude at first, too. But then as the season went on it seemed like it wasn't cockiness, but more apathy or indifference - it was almost like he was a sociopath with no conscience. He never got high, he never got low, he just went out and destroyed. I ended up actually liking his personality when framed in the context of being a high-level quarterback. Nothing ever seemed to bother or excited him beyond the initial reaction, good or bad. He was just there to be the best, dominate, and then leave.

9. legler82

His pops looks like he has him in line.

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah I was encouraged by his dad. Seems like a very law and order type guy. Just hope that continues into Fields' pro career and the dad doesn't just see making it to the NFL as him finally cashing out.

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm torn on who I want more. Lawrence has the generational prospect label attached to him while two of this site's QB gurus say Fields is the better prospect.

Brook! likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I don't care which one, as long as we get the right one. I've seen Lawrence play quite a bit and believe in what he can do. I haven't seen Fields play, but did see that highlights video from last season and he looks pretty darned good. I truly respect the opinion of our resident QB gurus as well. If we wind up with the #1 pick, I think we need to take whichever one there. Unless the Bengals wind up #2, whomever is the #2 team will take the other QB, and I see no possibility of trading down to #3 or #4 and getting one of Lawrence/Fields.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the Jets end up with the top pick they take Lawrence without hesitation. The real interesting decision comes in with the 2nd pick with Fields vs Darnold. I’m really not sure which direction I’d want them to go in at this point.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. legler82

I think Wilson is a 1st rounder too. It’s a real nice class.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So legler. If we collect money among ourselves and pay for your grocieres and bills for a month, can you just watch all these QB's you deem first round worthy and do an analysis for us?

If Fields is the choice by you, why do people go crazy about Lawrence? You said Mahomes before anybody. You said Josh Allen better than Darnold and you were right once again(even though both are still avg at best). I need hope man. I need hope. Give me hope.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Been watching more Fields, I do think he needs to speed his game up quite a bit. He does everything ridiculously well, but he does it too slowly. Part of me worries that when he gets sped up at the NFL level he could fall apart. I’m torn between calling his playstyle “calm” or “lethargic”.

I’ll be watching him closely the rest of the year to see if he picks up his pace as he gains more experience.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Btw, like Legler I completely stopped scouting QBs when we drafted Darnold because it stopped being relevant to the Jets, but for fun I’ve been going back and watching some of the ones I missed...

Hot damn, Joe Burrow. I think he overtakes Mahomes as my favorite QB prospect I’ve ever watched. You wanna talk about “best QB prospect since Andrew Luck”? We just saw him, last year. The fact that he only started 1 year is probably the only thing that kept him from getting that narrative around him.

blackssmagic and Brook! like this.
  18. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Bump...Fields looked outstanding tonight. If we end up with the 2nd pick, I think we have to take Fields.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No he doesn't. Give me Lawrence. Fields ain't special. Done with him no matter what our QB guru @legler82 says. Give me Lawrence please.

20. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member