Late Season Favre Collapse Tracker

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Nov 29, 2009.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He played w/ it and expects people to bow down to him b/c he played through pain. he can't have it both ways. There are a million guys who have surgery after seasons, that doesn't mean they can't play during the season. They may not be 100% but they are healthy enough to perform at a high level.

That was just flat out embarrassing. Not even a Favre fellater could argue that.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

When you are a 39 year old QB and injure your throwing arm to the extent that it needs surgery it's going to effect your game, and clearly it did. If you didn't see the difference in his throws before and after than I can't help you.

Where you get the idea that he expects people to "bow to him" because he played through pain is beyond me.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Adopted by reference and incorporated herein.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The problem I have is that with all the wisdom of 18 years in the league, he didn't make the adjustment to play hurt and be effective. People here constantly rag on Pennington for the Pittsburgh playoff game he played with a torn throwing shoulder, saying he did a shitty job. Well he did, and he had a good reason like Favre did, but he was smart enough to manage the game around being hurt to the point where we had a chance to win. That's all we asked of Favre at the end last year if he was hurt, but instead he kept making silly throws and taking us out of games.

5. nyjunc

He was still healthy enough to play and perform. I saw a guy mkaing awful decisions more than I saw a wounded guy trying to play. When did this injury happen? In the Denver game?

His biggest claim to fame has been his durability that's why he expects people to bow down to him about the consecutive games played record. it's an amazing record at QB but playing when you shouldn't be playing isn't a good thing. he can't play through pain then when things don't go well whine about it.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Penningtons game has always been based on being extremely accurate, smart and being very careful.

Favres game has always been based on being able to attack the entire field on any given play and putting the ball into tight spots.

My point is that Favre losing his ability to do what his game was always based on was probably a bigger loss for his game than Penningtons injury was for his. Regardless, I don't think Penny should have been playing either if his injury was bad enough that he couldn't do what he needed to. The week before he was throwing fine with the same injury though.

Favre should have taken himself out last year. Mangini should have pulled him last year. Schotty should have called a lot more run plays last year.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He injured it against the Bengals and then re-injured it against the Raiders the following week. I was waiting for it to affect the way he was throwing a lot, but it took a while, probably thanks to a bunch of cortizone. If you watch the Raiders game again from last season, there is a segment where they point out in the Bengals game exactly when he got injured.

#67 abyzmul, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  8. nyjunc

So he was fine when he played his best from the 1st Buf game through the ten game but all of a sudden it really affetced him the week after the Ten game? I don't buy it. It's just an excuse.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The backup is Clemens, there is no way Favre was coming out unless he said he couldn't play. Pennington played largely for the same reason, because Quincy Carter was off on a crack binge and it was the playoffs.

Regardless of what his game is, Favre should know enough after 18 years in the league to either work around what's wrong with him or take himself out. Once the play starts it's up to Favre where to throw the ball or change it to a run play at the line if he can't throw, the coaches can't do that for him. To keep forcing the ball where you can't get it is just stupid. We're not talking about a bad half or game, we're talking about the Denver game, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, even the Buffalo game the defense pulled out. At what point do you get the hint to stop forcing throws you see you can't make? That's my point about Pennington in the playoffs that year, he didn't dominate or even play that well, but he didn't kill us either, which gave us a win and a chance to win the next week.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Like I said, he injured it, and it visibly degraded slowly. People were crying about his performance during the wins as well as the losses. And I don't care what you don't buy, because your medical knowledge is probably on par with your objectivitiy. Nonexistent.

As far as it being an excuse, I guess the Jets and Favre are guilty of collusion to fake an injury, were caught trying to conceal a fake injury and mentioned an MRI for the fake injury, and then got fined for not reporting the fake injury after the fact. junc, you are completely hopeless.

#70 abyzmul, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. nyjunc

He was playing the same way w/ and w/o the injury early in the year.

I'm not saying they faked it, i'm saying he used it as an excuse. Again, he played his best football w/ the injury in Novmeber then all of a sudden the week btw Ten and den it starts to bother him so bad he can't play well w/ it? Please. His arm was fine the last month, he was making poor decisions.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

actually it was a general agreement that he hurt it against Cincy.

That was way before the Titan game.

Schotty loved the pass and wouldn't use TJ and Leon correctly all the while knowing his QB wasn't healthy, and the defense sucked balls because Mangini and Sutton are an embarrassing braintrust. That was the core of the collapse. Everyone needs to understand that.

13. nyjunc

We can blame Schottenheimer but favre dictated everything last year. He shouldn't have been able to but he was.

Down the stretch last year he only threw alot vs. Den and Miami and we were behind in both- big against denver. The 3 games in btw (buf, SF, Sea) he averaged he threw 30 times once and 31 twice. Those aren't crazy #s

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

AP > TJ

Frazier > Sutton

That is all.

15. nyjunc

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ yeah everyone is waiting for it.... but he's healthy and a great QB, even if everyone on here hates him for what he did last year (I don't).

17. nyjunc

The good news for him is Minny should be playing all their playoff games in domes. if not, Minny would have no chance w/ him outside on January in cold weather.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you're right. They could play inside all January and then play in 50 degree weather if they make it all the way to Miami.

Lucky year for the Vikes. The only problem is they are the Purple Jets. They'll find a way to mess it up.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I guess Childress wanted to pull him last night. He said no.

20. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

From the stories I read, he essentially castrated "Chilly" on the sideline, then crowed about it in his presser in case there was any spare testosterone still in there.