LASIK surgery

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by FinnishJET, Aug 22, 2019.

1. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I went to LASIK surgery earlier today to correct my vision and get rid of my glasses and contacts.. And wow, I have to say that I'm blown away by the results. I didn't have that bad of an eyesight to begin with, but still just about five hours since the procedure, I can see better now than I saw with my contacts. Doctor told me that the first day wouldn't be that good, that my vision would be somewhat murky, so I'm eager to see how tomorrow will be.

So next time when I'm visiting NYC and MetLife I can enjoy everything with clear vision :)

If anyone here is considering to correct their vision, I can strongly recommend this procedure.

Just out of curiosity, how much does this cost in the States? I had the SMILE-procedure and it cost 2700€, so it wasn't that cheap...

Murrell2878, Savatage, Poeman and 2 others like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So, just how homely is that guy in the mirror?

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Glad you like your experience. I can't even have LASIK due to my Diabetes.

4. FinnishJET

He seems to have had better days :D

stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Congrats on having a new view of the world. ;)

FinnishJET likes this.
  6. FinnishJET

That's a bummer. Just wandering, how does the diabetes prevent LASIK? My mom recently had her glaucoma fixed and she has diabetes, but I'm not sure how similar these procedures are..

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Honestly don’t know all details but my eyes have severe stigmatism. And I check my eyes more often then average person due to diabetes. And when I asked mu eye doctor if I could have Lasik he explained in technical terms why I shouldn’t but don’t remember much as this was 3 years ago

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can’t do it due to thin corneas. They basically have to do cataract surgery on me to put in new lenses

Since I don’t have cataracts, this is elective and all out of pocket. Nope.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Same. Have like 4.25 astigmatism.

Without glasses, useless now.

Brook! likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I haven't had it done but found this

[​IMG]

It looks like it is on the higher end in your neck of the woods but not by much.

FinnishJET likes this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’ve had two optometrists basically tell me the same thing. They can correct for nearsightedness really well but some of us are too far gone.

I’m still tempted though.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Probably about the same price I paid. After my surgery, I was down to 20/15 vision. As you said, just later that day I could see better than ever. It's amazing.

FinnishJET likes this.
  13. FinnishJET

It truly is amazing what modern technology can achieve. Now only nuisance is the eye drops, you need to apply them constantly to avoid dryness, even though it already feels like I don't even need them anymore.

14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The steroid drops were by far the ones that made my eyes feel better. Odd that you can taste them though.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Congrats the wife had it done years ago and she saw an immediate difference as well......as for me my eyesight is getting worse and me hearing is shot but I look and sound great lol

Brook! and FinnishJET like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Randomly searched Lasik on this board and shocked there was a thread.

I have an eye appointment in a few weeks and going to follow up with trying to get the surgery. My vision has been the same for about 5-6 years now and I've worn contacts since I was in middle school and I cannot take it anymore. I don't really like wearing my glasses so I always end up falling asleep with my contacts in and wake up in the middle of the night to take them out. Just tired of the entire situation. My vision absolutely sucks as well. -5.00 in one eye and -4.50 with a -0.75 stigmatism in the other.

I've only heard great things from those who have gotten it. I really hope I'm a candidate for it.

Poeman likes this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Highly recommend getting it, you are likely qualified for basic lasic or PRK which is when they add a lens to your as you don't have enough cornea. The science has evolved and I got mine done in 2017. One of the best decisions as I hated wearing contacts and glasses on my nose gave me a headache.

Note there is no guarantee you'll never wear glasses again, genetic aging will catch up to you and will likely need reading glasses at some point but your normal vision will be perfect.

I also had stigmatism but was only a -1.5 on each eye. My ex was a -8 near blindness, but got it corrected and fixed her eyes. My gf now got lasik done at 19 and wears glasses now, your eyes develop in 20s still so best to get it when you are middle aged