Labor Negotiations News

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BK_Jetsfan, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Read an article today stating the union won't give up another cent until the NFL opens up its books so they can see what is really being made. I'm not an accountant does anyone know if there is any reason for the NFL not to open up the books other than them lying about what their earnings really are?

2. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

I'm not an accountant either and I really don't understand all the ins and out of this mess but I do know this: Not once have any of my bosses ever shown me their profit or loss ledger.

#162 The Great American, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

What's your point? Idk what you do/did for a living but I'm sure you are/were easily replaceable.

Not calling you out in particular but people really need to stop trying to relate their professional situations to that of a pro sports player.

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

So they shouldn't have to do it because that sort of thing is generally not done? Good reason.

5. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Yet another pointless post from the grand wizard.

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

The last 3 posters summed it up quite nicely.

SHOW THE DAMN BOOKS! (audited too)

The union knows what baseball teams have done (lie about losing money) when their statements were leaked to deadspin...

I'm shocked the NFLPA isn't acting like a poodle like the previous guy in charge.

7. The Great American

Yes, I am easily replaceable as most of us are. But guess what? Pro sports players are replaceable too. Maybe I'm over-simplifying things a bit but business is business. Doesn't the same principles apply? They are in business to make money.

Edit: Found this quote and I think its worth sharing:
    "If I hire someone to mow my yard for $30.00 I'm not gonna open my bilfold for him to renegotiate. The offered price is $30.00, take it or leave it. What I have in my bilfold is no one's business but mine. The same line of thought would apply to the NFL owners. It's their money and their business. I hope they break the union. I have question about that someone may be able to help me with.
    If you are in a union they are to be your sole reppresentative . So how come professional athletes all have individual agents? Union my ***."

#167 The Great American, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No they're not... or better... if you replace the players the value of the final product ("quality of the game" if you prefer) goes down significantly. If you replace most of us in our jobs we aren't going to have such an impact on the final product.
    That's because there are way more people that can do our job rather than athletes that can play pro football at a high level.

As for being in the business for making money... that is true, but players (just like employees) don't have to agree to any wage reduction just because owners want to make more money! Using the leverage they have (the fact they're not easily repleacable) they're saying "show me you're not making enough money and we can discuss a wage reduction". The NFL is setting records in revenues and the only team that has open books is making a lot of income in a small market... I can see why the players are thinking WTF is going on here...

Also may I add if it's true the league isn't making enough money who's at fault, the owners that run the franchises and offer the contracts or the players that play on the field and sign the contracts offered to them? Mmm...

#168 Mambo9, Mar 9, 2011
  9. The Great American

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Everyone is replaceable and will eventually be replaced. The quality may or may not be better but the public is still buying it.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

unless you are in a union and your compensation is colletively bargained this statement is irrelevant.

11. The Great American

I will admit I have never belonged to a union and I will also admit I don't understand everything about this situation But from what I've read, the owners are not legally required to open thier books.

Here's what I don't understand. Most if not all players have agents to negotiate their salaries and benefits. Why would the players demand more if they have already agreed to work for a certain amount?

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Pretty much that is the reason. If they are telling the truth, then there shouldn't be any reason why they can't open their books.

Any public company has to open their books. That's why you can go online and find the consolidated balance sheet, income, and cash flow statements to just about any publicly held company.

The NFL and their teams are private companies and do not have to open their books to anyone unless they're getting audited (which isn't very common unless they do it on their own or the IRS comes calling).

#172 LeonNYJ, Mar 9, 2011
  13. FJF

the players are not demanding more.the owners are trying to get them to take less.the players responded by saying "show us where the current structure isn't working and we will discuss it."

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

And again all the numbers available show there has been an increase and not a decrease in the NFL total income.
    If the numbers showed a decrease in revenue then maybe it would've made sense to go to the players and tell them they couldn't make as much money as they did before.

But you can't go to a guy and say: "the product you're making is making us reach record incomes... would you please agree to take less money?"

15. FJF

exactly.thats why there's an impasse.although if the players agrre to a rookie cap they could concede some of the split and still break even.but right now theres no reason for them to accept less then the status quo

16. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

NFL offered some half ass crap "profitability data"...what the fuck is that?

That's just cherry picking some data to make it seem favorable to the owners perspective.

Only the audited financial statements shows a true picture of what's going on.

17. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Lock out is a guarantee this is all about money , greed on top of greed.

As my clueless wife said " they are all billionaires anyway so what is the issue"....I assumed she wasn't talking about Jets draft bust and meant the owners.

In the current financial climate this greed is embarrassing and deserves all the negative press it gets.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.

19. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

You only just realised that......:eek:hmy:

20. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

I am a member of IATSE. Recently, one of the biggest Scene shops for Broadway houses was in major financial trouble. Our union stepped in and helped by offering concessions without losing jobs. It was a win-win, IMHO, that will help ease the pain for this scenic shop. The shop was more than willing to open their books.

Those that have nothing to hide and are genuine in having a respectful agreement have no problem with transparency. The owners should just open their books. Problem is, if they do, the networks will realize they've been paying too much and will pay less, or the players will get paid. Either way, the owners will be getting less profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.