Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You’re delusional if you don’t think cousins, a guy was established himself as a top 10–15 quarterback, is going to get equal money or more. That’s the way quarterback contracts work. Every time a “big name“ quarterback is due for a new deal they become the highest paid player in history.

The lazy fans will run to the Internet to bitch and complain about it. The people who do their research and homework know that what you see on the surface isn’t what actually goes down in the salary books.

FJF likes this.
  2. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Okay, I don't think he's that good, you like him you take him... I wouldn't touch him.

3. BroadwayAaron

I will gladly take Cousins on a front loaded contract that gives us an out in the fourth year like most of those gigantic contracts do.

FJF likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I feel something that is missing in this conversation is the development of such FQB.

We all want a FQB but developing one is the challenging part of the equation. I'm not trying to turn this into a Bowles bashing fest but does anyone feel he or this CS can actually develope one?

A perfect example of a good QB who was mired in mediocrity was Alex Smith, how many bad HC and CS was he stuck with until a good offensive minded HC came along and implemented a system that allowed him to thrive?

The jets have changed the OC 3 times already, that is a sure fire way of never developing any QB they draft.

If they sign Cousins who I believe is better than any QB they can draft, it will give them a better chance to focus on getting talent around Cousins.

If they draft a QB like Falk or Jackson in later round, they can sit and maybe develop as long as the offensive system stays the same.

Presently I don't believe they are capable of developing a QB. The prudent option would be to sign a guy who is turnkey ready.

If the Jets had a good offensive minded HC like Shannahan then I would be more confident in their ability to develop a young QB.

#1044 Red Menace, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    nicg4360 and Big Cat like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

While it’s not exactly the best excuse in the world, this can’t be ignored. You’re going to tell me that anyone has faith in this coaching staff and front office when it comes to developing a quarterback? Especially considering who will be available when we pick assuming we don’t do the dumb thing and trade up to get one of the top two. Mayfield and Allen need a ton of work... do you really want the future success of this franchise hinging on the development of a quarterback that isn’t ready yet? I sure as shit don’t.

So many signs point to Cousins being the most logical choice. Can only hope the front office realizes it. And I think they do.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Red Menace

I was just adding this to the reasons why Cousins make sense. The Jets should still draft a QB, but to draft a guy at 6 and HOPE that this staff can develope him is a reach from my perspective.

They still need to add talent around any QB they either sign or draft.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

With what Glennon and Brock got on the open market, I think it’s pretty clear cut that multiple teams are going to be willing to make Kirk the highest paid player ever. It’s likely going to take $30M to get it done.

The Jimmy G deal is actually a pretty good blueprint for the Jets with the way the 49ers front loaded the shit out of it to take advantage of their boatload of cap room now without handicapping it in the future.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is the only reason why I could be on board with signing Cousins, and I still don't like it. But you're right, this CS has shown no ability to develop a QB or a good offense for that matter. Sure, McCown (and Fitz) had career years, but it was that more than game plans or system that allowed them to succeed to the extent they did. But in crunch time the offense disappeared. And Woody/Chris went and extended these guys!

If we had a competent, offensive-minded HC and CS I would hold fast to the idea of drafting one of the top QBs in this draft. In fact, I still want them to, but unless it's Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield, who I believe can overcome the lack of coaching, I have to admit they're probably better off signing Cousins and maybe take a QB later to replace Petty/Hack. I don't like it, but I think that's what's going to happen.

And if it does, we can all "look forward" to having yo-yo seasons - one year, when all the pieces are in place and fall together they'll contend for the SB; the next year when they lose a piece or two, they'll sink to mediocrity (or worse) just like the Ravens with Flacco. A SB appearance every decade or so, the rest of the time 6-10 to 10-6. If that's good enough for the fans, then that's what they'll get. For me, that's not good enough. I want to see a sustainable winning franchise, contenders nearly every year. It can be done because other teams have done it. I doubt that the Jets can.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Red Menace

I believe that if they sign Cousins, they can use the draft and still build the team. That should provide 4 years of low wage, productive young players with the occasional skilled FA signed to fill the void.

That should eliminate the extreme swings in records from 6-10 and 10-6.

The foundation would still be made up of drafted players. The key is the QB spot, once it's set then the rest should fall into place barring injuries and consistency should follow.

#1050 Red Menace, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    nicg4360 and FJF like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

MAYBE. And it's what I'm left hoping for. But here's the thing: once you get an above average QB like a Flacco, and your team is competitive, that seems to be where improvement stops, at "just good enough". And a team with a Flacco needs virtually every piece in place to get to, let alone win, a SB. Lose a piece and the floor drops out because a Flacco can't carry a team by himself, and when he tries he gets worse and multiplies his mistakes digging holes the team can't get out of. If they sign Cousins they'd better be prepared to pony up for all the other pieces too, and not just for one season, but for the long haul. Do they have the vision and commitment for that? I haven't seen that yet, but as a Jets fan hope is pretty much all we ever have.

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

One other bonus you have to having a very good QB like cousins and not struggling for a year or two or more (this is the Jets) with rookie development is you can attract free agents who otherwise would have to be overpaid to come here.

Pepsiguy5 and Red Menace like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold my breath on a cease fire. The purpose of this site is to voice our opinions, frustrations, ideas, vent, etc. I agree that we shouldn't attack each other, but some of us are vehemently opposed to signing Cousins. Why should we have to remain silent about it for two years?

I can pretty much guarantee that if Cousins proves to be only average and doesn't elevate the Jets' play, or if Rosen, Mayfield or whichever QB falls to #6 quickly proves to be a rising star, someone will start a thread (as they should!), and even some of those who were in favor of signing him will turn against him.

#1053 NCJetsfan, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Brad i guess I would be wrong though. Even if Denver bows out and chases Keenum there are teams like Cleveland, Buffalo but mostly Arizona which will likely go after Cousins as well.

Amazingly, Arizona doesn't have a single quarterback under contract for 2018. They would have to be in the Cousins sweepstakes I would think

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yup. Idk which of the many Cousins threads it was in but there are some people who seem to think giving out large contracts comes with no financial risk to the Jets which is just crazy

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Exactly. If Cousins' price really dropped down to $20 million I would think that teams like Buffalo, Arizona, and Minnesota would jump in. Minnesota ($53 million in cap space) is only going to stick with Keenum or Bridgewater if they're cheaper than Cousins. Buffalo gets an additional $9.5 million in cap money by cutting Tyrod Taylor (which brings them to $39 million), and can restructure or cut Incognito ($6.5 million). Arizona has a problem with only $23 million available, but if Cousins was cheap enough I think they'd try to work it out by cutting other people. That is going to naturally drive the price up until those teams can't afford it.

It seems to me that people who want the Jets to sign Cousins should be rooting hard that Minnesota believes in Keenum, because they have both enough cap money and a much better team than the Jets to entice Cousins. That would mean that what the Jets have to offer is money.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This bolded section is extremely misleading if not an outright lie.

The 5 games before Jimmy G stepped in included losses of 9, 10, 23 and 30 points. Jimmy G's 5 games were wins of 1, 10, 2, 11, and 21. This was not a minor change by him coming in. He completely flipped the state of play of that team.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team/san-francisco-49ers

09/10 Carolina L 3-23 Home 0-1 0-0
    09/17 Seattle L 9-12 Away 0-2 0-1
    09/21 LA Rams L 39-41 Home 0-3 0-2
    10/01 Arizona L 15-18 Away 0-4 0-3
    10/08 Indianapolis L 23-26 Away 0-5 0-3
    10/15 Washington L 24-26 Away 0-6 0-3

10/22 Dallas L 10-40 Home 0-7 0-3
    10/29 Philadelphia L 10-33 Away 0-8 0-3
    11/05 Arizona L 10-20 Home 0-9 0-4
    11/12 NY Giants W 31-21 Home 1-9 0-4
    11/26 Seattle L 13-24 Home 1-10 0-5

12/03 Chicago W 15-14 Away 2-10 0-5
    12/10 Houston W 26-16 Away 3-10 0-5
    12/17 Tennessee W 25-23 Home 4-10 0-5
    12/24 Jacksonville W 44-33 Home 5-10 0-5
    12/31 LA Rams W 34-13 Away 6-10 1-5

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its not misleading. Not by a stretch, it supports what i saw and said. He didnt come in and completely change everything. Tho honestly i dont really care if yoy believe it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Actually that came out kinda dicky. Didn't mean it like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

There is one fact is he won every game he played in and that was with a new team and new system he only had 2 weeks to get familiar with. Those wins did not happen before him although close but they were still not wins. He may yet get figured out but that's the chance you take . He is young and if it works out they have a FQB for a decade. I'd say worth the risk.

ColoradoContrails likes this.