Kick the tires? Dez Bryant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Is it worth it to give him a shot?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2019.
  1. Yes

16.9%
  2. No

83.1%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Depends on which OL position. If he were a guard, there wouldn't be much interest. On the other hand, center is our biggest need on offense, so we'd be interested in him as a center. Also people are concerned about his personality and rightfully so.

2. I get it believe me lol

Just jet fans always seem to be ok w attitude or potential personality clashes at positions EXCEPT for offensive skill. And surprise..our skills are always below average if not terrible.Great skill players that become available almost always have a “diva” label..and jet fans never want any part but then wonder why we have no playmakers.

We have Bell now & some pieces in Herndon & Enunwa so the need isnt quite as acute but still need a rebounder that can optimize Sam’s accuracy on the boundary as well as coming back to the ball & boxing defenders out when Sam leaves the pocket & goes off script.Dez is not that guy & that should come via the draft.

This was merely an observation & a pet peeve

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thanks for the response! i do think though i addressed every issue in the OP though. yes we have 3 number 2 guys (say i agree with that) but that isn't the issue. the issue is in todays NFL your 3rd WR is pretty much a starter. and your 4th and 5th WRs can see some good playtime too. out top 3 have all missed quite a bit of time. So they way i see it, there is a very good chance as of now tay/peake starts a game or 2 for us in 2019 as a WR3. i mean last year we started off with 4 number 2 WRs according to many here, and wound up starting tay at 1 point who we upgraded off the PS and signed a WR off the street too. darnold by the end of the year had pretty much nobody to throw to. corwder and Qs injury history concerns me, and anderson has been known to pull a hammy here and there too.

also at this point in his career, i don't think dez will command anything. he's fighting to be on a roster right now. he isn't the superstar he once was

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Having to go to the bench to cover injuries is how you identify and develop young talent. Signing guys hanging on for one more year is how you end up having to spend big in free agency because you don’t trust or don’t know if you have anything g in the bench . Signing guys like Bryant shortens the contender window if it ever opens. Those types of signings are for teams that have a rash of injuries during camp/preseason and just need a guy to run a functional offense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

that's a valid point but usually talent shines in camp. i mean anderson came right out as a rookie and shined. peake has been on the team for 2 years now and hasn't cut it at WR. and tay was with the team all last year and hasn't inspired any confidence in the coaching staff clearly and probably wouldn't be here if not for darnold. out top 3 WRs are a good group, but one that is injury prone and we have 0 depth behind them. unless you want it like least year with peake, tay, roberts, and matthews who we signed mid season were all out there trying to play WR while darnold got killed. The more targets we can give darnold the better. and we can't afford to draft 2 more WRs. i think drafting one and signing another for 1 year cheap that is a vet gives us good insurance. doens't have to be dez. there are a few aging WRs out there like jordy and DT coming off bad seasons who could be helpful as well

6. FJF

So Anderson showed signs right away, enunwa went from practice squad to role player to starter , shining when he got a chance due to injury. Something he wouldn’t have been able to do if they went running to sign the Dez Bryants of the world.
    There’s a time and place for everything and this is not the time nor the place for dez. Let’s let some young guys get some reps. We have some potential in tay and Bellamy and maybe we add another young receiver next month. Dez Bryant should be behind the emergency glass and hopefully we won’t have to break it

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your thinking, but would rather we develop the young players' abilities that we have rather than signing someone older.

Crowder is excellent in the Red Zone, and imo we need to develop Herndon's and Anderson's abilities in the Red Zone. Hopefully, we draft a tall WR in the draft and he should be developed as well.

Also, let's not forget that we now have Bell. Why take snaps receptions away from him and give them to Dez?

#67 NCJetsfan, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  8. GasedAndConfused

not really. i mean Q was a 5th round pick. we did PS him as a rookie but he was promoted at the end of the season. then in season 2 he was suspended 4 games (conduct policy) but played in all 12 and started 6. by year 3 he was our starter and had a good season and showed flashes in games. I have 0 faith peake could be that at this point and highly doubt tay does either but would be nice if one of them proved me wrong

9. FJF

He was a 6th. Was suspended 1 game, started when Marshall and decker got banged up . In the meantime he was practicing and developing. Again he wouldn’t have gotten those chances if they kept signing vets. There’s only so many snaps to go around. We don’t need washed up, injured hanger in’s taking those away from talent we are trying to develop. Even if it’s not tay or Bellamy there could be another young guy in the mix you are keeping down by signing Dez now.

10. GasedAndConfused

that is very true and a good point. I just don't see it in tay or peake at this point (peake is 3 years in and proving to be nothing more then a special teams player) but i guess tay has a chance to be something. hopefully we draft a WR early this year who is good and can be the number 4. i'd really like to get deebo sanders if he slips to the 3rd (not likely) or we acquire a 2nd rounder. he's a perfect slot guy and returns kicks.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm pretty sure at this point if you kick those tires, you're going to need to call AAA

Harpua, jetophile, abyzmul and 4 others like this.
  12. FJF

Peake will probably stay on as a gunner. Bellamy is probably the 4 and Burnett 5 right now but there is definitely room for upgrade . It’s need to be a long term upgrade though.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There’s a tie here...

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, how many disruptive diva offensive linemen have you ever heard of? I’m sure there are a few in history but realistically bringing partly washed up pro bowl right tackle is not likely to be a disruption to the locker room. If he’s no good he get’s cut in camp. Whereas Dez would be in the media, and in Darnold’s ear distracting him from his first full offseason.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Now warnings are retroactive?

Could it be the Mods are falling in behind the "Black Jersey Boys" and are looking to eliminate some of the traditionalists before the big reveal next week?

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Kicking the tires on Bryant shouldn’t be ruled out completely. But it should happen after a physical (of course), the draft, signing UDFAs, and towards the start of camp. This is because the Jets should know, with relative certainty, what they’re getting out of Bryant. The roster spot might be more valuable to a younger player who has to the potential to either grow.

17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

He is everything we don't want on the team...he's old, slow, & a headcase oh yes, he wants to be paid well too. Definitely NOT.

NCJetsfan and CBG like this.
  18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I was about this last year. But now in his 30s and coming off an achilles I just don't see the upside.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I ignored that whole thing mostly because there wasn't enough WOP Mick Guinea Squarehead Spic Gook Kraut Towelhead Fruit Honky Cheap Jew Chink Polack Frog Hairy Greek Irish Drunks in that thread. If I left anyone out, I apologize.

EDIT: Oh, and Dez Bryant looks fat to me.

#79 jetophile, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm old, slow, and a headcase and want to be paid well, too. What's so wrong about that? Kids today.