Kenrick Ellis Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GQMartin, Mar 26, 2012.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Tannenbaum makes the call based on what the scouts and personnel guys tell him so putting this on Tannys ability to judge players seems a bit off.

2. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

No offense - but I can't stand when people think Vlad will be alright. These are the same people that probably thought that year 3 was the year Robertson would turn into the bowling ball with knives and the year it would all click for Gholston.

Get real and believe what your eyes are seeing. Vlad is hot garbage.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Wilkerson start every game at DE and made a good amount of positive contributions for the team?just sayin.

I thought Ellis looked good in limited duty. He is definitely a LOAD in the middle of the D and is very hard for O-linemen to handle one on one. If he can get better w/ pad level and hand useag, he could be a very good full time starter.

4. And I'm willing to bet you thought we should have cut Brick after year 2,right?

Players take TIME to develop.Does it always work out?No. But to give up on a high draftpick linemen after 2 years with no reason other than lack of patience is beyond ridiculous and amateur.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You never notice when he tosses dlinemen around like little girls.

6. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Vlad was a second rd pick so its not out of the question that he can be a starter for us. He has potential and it looks like the Jets are leaning on him to have a breakout season. I hope he's the answer for us, or else what a huge waste of a pick....

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The bottom line regarding Tanny is the OL has declined of late. The OL deserves at least, and that is AT LEAST, a new RT this year and one new OG next. They also at this point remain thin at interior line bench strength, which of course last year ended up being a big factor in not making the playoffs when Mangold went down.

Meanwhile VD is a likely bust and that move on letting Hunter's contract go guaranteed without modification will always remain inexcusable.

How can people defend the way Tanny has been mismanaging hte line?

8. Big Blocker

As for Ellis, he hasn't shown much. Not sure what else there is to say about him yet.

9. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Ellis and Vlad are both major x-factors at this point. They both have the size and power to excel at their respective positions but it's yet to be seen if they can put the technical/mental part of the game together. Neither guy has been on the field enough to start calling them a bust but they both have alot to prove this year. If they aren't both at least solid contributors if not starters by the end of the season I think it will be fair to start passing judgements.

10. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Luckily his court date is in May. If he ends up being deported (some how), the Jets will have plenty of time to fill his roster spot with a quality player.

11. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I wonder of "deportation" qualifies a player for the Physically Unable to Perform list...

12. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Physically, Vlad is a beast. He's more than big and strong enough to play the position.
    The question is will he pick up the mental aspect of the position; or continue to look lost on who to block every other play.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Possible the switch to a simpler man blocking scheme from the WCO zone scheme benefits guys like Vlad and Hunter.

14. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

He would only get deported if he were convicted for an aggravated felony. The court date set is a trial date. If he truly acted in self defense (of himself or another person) he will be fine. Either way, he is not going to get deported, he will plea down if the odds are against him.

I look forward to seeing Ellis play this year, he barely got a chance last year as expected.

15. Big Blocker

You do not do Ellis any favors by putting him in the same category as VD.

Any observer with the least bit of understanding can see that size and power are not all it takes to succeed in the NFL.

As for VD, we can say that after two years he has yet to show that he has been or will be a solid contributor, in fact has shown the contrary. Will that change this coming year?

The odds are against it. I would hardly say it is a certainty he will fail, but it is nonsense to think the available evidence is that he is more likely to succeed than not.

16. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I wasn't equating the two players, just pointing out that they both have a lot to prove this coming season if they're going to have any kind of future on the Jets. Ellis may have shown more promise than VD so far but they're both still x-factors.

That's exactly what I said.

I agree, the odds aren't in his favor and the clock is ticking. That's why I say that he either proves himself this season or it will probably be the end of the Vlad project. That said, there are a couple of things that give me some optimism in the situation - a new OC and a full offseason.

17. Big Blocker

If any coach last year had a negative impact on VD, it would have been Callahan, who was the line coach, along with other duties in the O. He is gone as well, and has been replaced. If a new coaching regime has some positive effect on VD, ftr that will be more on Cally than Schotty.

But... I don't think that is what the problem is. Sure it is entirely possible the Jet CS, individually and as a whole, did a lousy job overall in helping VD prepare to play in the NFL. But I kind of doubt that. I have never heard anyone suggest that the Jet CS is somehow noticeably deficient in that regard.

And it may well be that VD was hurt by the shortened pre-season last year. I wouldn't count on that, either, though. He looked far from prepared, not jsut a bit off here and there. How much more of a pre-season would have made him into a good player? I can't imagine the answer.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Anyone who didn't break out last year w/o a training camp is automatically a bust, you didn't know? All drafted NTs instantly start their first year with no issues at all. :lol:

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Hoping to see some big improvement this year from Ellis. I liked what little I saw of him last year.

VD on the other hand is most likely a complete failure unless the new blocking scheme helps him dramatically.

20. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

You can see the potential there for Ellis, the aggressiveness, the football instincts.

Vlad? Nothing I have seen out of him leads me to believe he will be an NFL starter. Stop with this "no offseason" nonsense. The kid shows NOTHING.