Kenrick Ellis adjusting to Pro Game - Star Ledger

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Kenrick Ellis is not like Ducasse.

Ellis was playing at Hampton because he was kicked off of an SEC defense.

Rex Ryan blamed a lot of our AFCCG lost on a worn down defensive line. This staff is keeping Ellis fresh until late in the year.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Your "rule of thumb" sucks.

Kenrick Ellis isn't playing because the Jets don't need him yet. He's an insurance policy.

You remember Terrence "Mount" Cody? Well, he was drafted a round higher than Ellis and he didn't play until Week 7 of his rookie year.

Cody only got defensive reps in six games (four regular season and two playoff games).

You know why he didn't play much? ...because he was behind Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata.

Now he's having a heck of a year as a rotational nose tackle.

Solid journeymen?

Sione Pouha is one of the best nose tackles in the game.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I dont know how much I buy this.

If they want him to contribute late in the year then it would be wise to get him some playing time.

I understand not using him as a full time starter, but at least get the guy on the field a few times a game so he can learn and adjust.

Its not like we have anyone playing like Kelly/Ngata on our team anyway, our front 7 continues to be incredibly mediocre (possibly worse) getting absolutely torched by halfbacks.

And Cody didnt play much because he was a fat sack of shit when he came into the nfl. I remember watching the guy gasping for air constantly as a rookie. Not to mention he had a pretty poor rookie season as a whole .

I think the upside of Ellis on our team is far greater than that of Cody, but unfortunately for Ellis he wont have anything even remotely close to as talented as Cody's supporting cast

#83 dcm1602, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I get your point, but let's not make it sound like the kid has top notch experience after one start for the Cocks.

All in all, I agree with the bolded. The same could be said about Powell. One nit to pick, though- Cody would've taken Gregg's job if not for the preseason knee scope.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

This thread is getting the shonne green inactive treatment soon enough.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I wasn't talking about experience. I was talking about the fact that the kid was talented enough to play in the best conference in the country.

Disciplinary issues were his downfall.

Ducasse played against incredibly weak competition and he was inexperienced.

I just don't like the comparison.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Did the same thing with Greene in 09.