Kendall and Baker covered for D'Brick's "gaffes"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, May 10, 2007.

1. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

Sorry, but you're dead wrong.

2. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

No, but I'm sure the writers will have a perspective on Brick's girth and offseason weight increase or lack thereof when minicamp articles start in mid-June...

3. baamf

baamf Active Member

I don't agree. For a LT the sack stat is pretty indicative of the job he did protecting his QB individually. He is assigned the speed rusher coming from his outside and is not affected as much by the stunting that goes on inside. As far as sacks given up, IMO McNeil would have done just as well as he did with the Chargers if he was on the Jets Oline. And I can't find my old posts but I compared Brick to a few first round tackles and he fared about twice as bad as all the others did in their first years in regards to sacks given up per pass play. As for the rushing stats, I think I agree with you. The rush blocking is much more of a unit assignment with the many different schemes used today. But again, my whole point was that he wasn't that good last year. You say it was to be expected, but I had much higher hopes for him last year, and past stats of others backed up my expectations. Oh well, I agree with your last paragraph. I too expect a big improvement this year, and hope he turns out to be the decade long LT we are all hoping for.....

4. KSJets

KSJets New Member

DE's had to respect LT breaking one for a TD because they knew Rivers wasn't going to be carrying that team. In the Jets' case, everyone knew we had to pass to set up the run since we didn't have a real threat in the backfield to take pressure off of our passing game. It's a lot easier to pass block when the DE isn't pinning his ears back on every play because he doesn't fear the RB.

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Comparing any aspect of the 2006 Jets offense to the 2006 Chargers offense borders on insanity.

Brick had an outstanding first 8 weeks. He was as much as anyone could have hoped for from a rookie LT. The second half of the season his weight dropped significantly, as did his effectiveness. He needs to add more muscle weight, and keep it on for the entire season. If he gives us 16 games like his first 8 last season, he will have been worth the pick.

6. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I don't think his development would stall... He'd continue to get better, but his mistakes would be more obvious without the wiley vet next to him to help cover them up. To the common eye, it may look like he regresses, but in actuality, he will be improving

7. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I agree...what bothers me about many FANS and WRITERS is that LT is ESSENTIALLY a skill position, it is the most demanding of all the OL positions. because in the MAJORITY of cases it protects the QB's blindside....that being said there IS a learning curve in the position and to throw a ROOKIE in to the mix against some of the BEST rushing DE's in the NFL cannot be easy.

He had growing pains, EXPECTED of ANY rookie in this league at MOST positions. and at a position that takes normally 2 - 3 maybe more seasons to perfect, but D'Brick did ok...damn good for a 'rookie' ... NOW if he continues on in the trend he had last season into this 3rd season, then there is reason for concern.

Some need 2 give this kid a break.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Exactly... it's alot different when you have the best player in football coming out of the backfield vs. a rookie who played extremely well for what many considered a 3rd down back in Leon and a scrub like Barlow.

9. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

RT was/is our weakest link. No draft, no FA and the loss of KENDELL ID BAD> We also need a road-grder RG. OH BOY!