Kenbrell Thompkins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Jan 3, 2016.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Nah that first throw early was behind him.

2. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

I certainly can respect that argument, especially because guys like Enunwa, Smith, and Tompkins have downfield abilities and Kerley is a known commodity. I think we mostly agree, I just believe that since Enunwa and co. did not really distinguish themselves most of the season, and I totally understand it takes time, that Kerley should have been more involved. On the whole the offense did an incredible job this year, and everybody associated with that deserves credit. But with basically the worst receiving TEs in the league once Amaro went down, I think that Kerley would have provided a much needed additional dimension to our offense, where are passing game is so centered on 2 players.

3. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Kerley fits the scheme; he just requires a QB to hit tighter windows with him because he's small. That's not good for Fitz who has a weaker arm.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Its not a BS excuse. Its the truth.

They held onto him because they had to pay him regardless. Why pay him to play for another team?

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It would have actually been more fitting if he made the catch and the play got called back for a stupid ass penalty. That would have fit right in with how dumb the Jets were in both games against the Bills.

JetsNation06 and macbk like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's certainly the company line. But is the system really so important that you put below average players in every single time and keep better ones sitting on the bench doing jack shit? This almost seemed more about keeping Kerley from reaching incentives than anything.

Thompkins was the odd man a week after being signed and he was getting snaps all day. Every time Kerley came in, he was in position to make a play.

The company line doesn't make as much sense as it tries to.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

defender made a hell of a play, end of story. rex has been fucking us for half a decade now.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  8. hang3xc

hang3xc Member

He DID catch the ball, but got it knocked out. I think most would have done the same. Funny how everyone has been loving this guy... until today. Now he sucks, completely. Unreal.

9. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Embedded Patriot

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  10. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't get why the hate is being directed at Thompkins. He had a man beat on left sideline at one point in game and Fitz underthrew him. And that play towards the end - he didn't even drop it....whoever that was on Buffalo made a great play. He has shown a knack for getting open, especially deep and has come up big for us lately.

Instead of directing blame at him, where's the blame on D'Brick who got embarrassed on Fitz's second pick? Or on Giacomini - just gross.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Can't forget our gem of a punter immediately handicapping the team with his booming 22 yard punt out of the end zone

MoWilkBeast and HAYN like this.
  12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It could have been. But when I look at the Jets receivers they really are all tall guys, even the guys the Jets brought in to look at when Smith went down all fit that bill as well. So I do think there is something to that.

Coaching staffs have their favorites. I think different regimes just view different players differently. Tannenbaum and Idzik liked Kerley, and Mac and Bowles simply didn't. He's definitely a better receiver at this point than either Enunwa or Thompkins but like I said in another post, the offense took such a gigantic leap forward this season compared to the normally crappy offense we usually have. So it's hard for me to be overly critical of Gailey and his decision to keep a decent slot receiver on the bench all year.

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He had both hands on the ball. Behind you or not, catch the freaking ball. Between him or Enunwa, hard to say which one killed the team the most. Marshall even called both of them out after the game. The moment seemed like it overwhelmed both of them and they seemed to choke

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If that happened it would have been destiny. I don't care what anyone else says. We would have gone to the Super Bowl.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's because Kerley isn't a WR you line up outside the numbers...he's a pure slot guy but all the slot reps were going to Marshall and more importantly, Decker. Guys like Thompkins and Smith have the speed to take the top off the defense.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If we can somehow add a true speed threat (not a paper tiger like D Smith), this WR Corp of Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Thompkins can be extremely formidable.

They need that burner.

_

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's what I've been saying. If Kerley isn't playing the slot his value diminishes. And Decker is so much better than he is. It's not a knock on Kerley as much as it is a compliment to Decker.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

with Fitzpatrick though they would need a QB to go with the burner. Fitz doesn't have the arm strength to properly utilize a burner anyway.

besides the developmental speed threat is supposed to be Devin Smith.

I'd draft a young possession WR in the middle rounds myself. A poor man's Brandon Marshall so he can learn under him for a year or two while Marshall is still playing well and still have an impact in the short term with Fitzpatrick

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I don't buy it. I think Fitz was showing more than enough arm strength to hit a bomb or two and a true speed threat also makes plays underneath and takes away the coverage on Marshall and Deck.

I don't think Smith is going to be ready in September and likely starts the season on 6 week IR.

I wouldn't mind another big possession receiver but a speedy dynamic playmaker would really complete our WR corp.

_