Kellen Clemens starting to lose swagger

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, May 7, 2009.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

From the moment Brett Favre retired in February (more on the phony QB later), Kellen Clemens has exuded confidence, talking and acting like he expects to be the Jets' opening-day starter. Today, that swagger was noticeably gone.

It's easy to act like "The Man" when the competition is Brett Ratliff. When it's the fifth pick in the draft (see Mark Sanchez), it's a different story.

Clemens addressed the media for the first time since the draft. (This was an open locker-room day in Florham Park, N.J.) That gave him nearly two weeks to absorb the blow and script his answers. Publicly, he spewed the company line, clinging to Rex Ryan's promise it will be an open competition. Either he's in denial or he's trying to be a good soldier. I suspect that it's the latter. He has to know the real deal.

"It's an open competition," he said. "I'm going to get a fair shot at the starting job. That's all I can ask for."

Clemens also said, "For me, it comes down to a simple choice: I can get mad and get frustrated or I can get better. I'm choosing to get better."

I talked to several players about the looming QB competition. Privately, they expect Sanchez to be the favorite, based on his draft status and the amount the team gave up to get him. It's a cold business, but that's reality.

Several players weighed in on the latest Favre news, that he's considering another unretirement, and no one said they were surprised by the diva's latest 180.

Most players said all the right things, but a couple seemed miffed by Favre's newest soap opera. After all, it wasn't even three months ago that he ran away from the Jets, going back to Mississippi to ride his tractor. (Ha! What a sham. Favre has always wanted to play; he just didn't want to play for the Jets.)

S Kerry Rhodes offered a no comment when asked about Favre. "I don't want to get into it," he said. "I'll just leave that alone."

The only other player that prompted a no-comment from Rhodes, one of the most affable players on the Jets, was Jay Cutler. Rhodes made it clear on numerous occasions that he dislikes Cutler. Based on that, it's not hard to figure out how he feels about Favre.

Another player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Favre "is being totally selfish. I'm not surprised."

Third-string QB (if he's lucky) Erik Ainge refused to divulge the reason why he missed two weeks of voluntary workouts. He kept calling it a "private matter." When asked if it was football-related, he said, "What I'm saying is, it's a private matter - personal."

Ainge was clearly uncomfortable during a brief Q and A. He said the coaching staff has been "extremely supportive," adding, "They don't know (the reason) either. It's a personal thing to me. They respect that."

Former Jets CB Ty Law is talking to the Patriots and Browns about the possibility of playing in 2009:rofl::rofl:, according to close friend Darrelle Revis.

Rhodes on Sanchez: "They say he's a pretty good-looking guy. I want to see where I stand in that aspect ... He's going to challenge me for best-looking on the team." (i found this humorous)

Sanchez apparently called the team's veteran receivers to arrange an off-site throwing/catching session.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/05/kellen-clemens-starting-to-los.html

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

whatever is going on with Ainge - I hope it gets better. He's really bothered by something.

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Kellen Clemens had swagger?

4. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I thought everyone stopped giving a shit about Clemens on April 25th?

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ it has other information in the article.

6. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I'm sure his father's stroke had something to do with it.

If not that, who needs a "Head Case" as a Quarterback? He's going all Vince Young on us. Sorry, but this kid is doomed -- he might even lose the 3rd string job to HAVAHD boy.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Why, he's gonna be our starter, Clemens that is

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

"Sanchez apparently called the team's veteran receivers to arrange an off-site throwing/catching session."

Me Rikey!

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This is news ?
    If KC isn't happy playing second fiddle , then maybe it would be better to get a Vet with alot more experience and groom Sanchez (should he need it).
    Ainge just sounds like a waste of a draft pick so far.
    Love the Rhodes soundbite

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The last true swagger I remember seeing out of Kellen Clemens was that Baltimore game that the receivers dropped away for us. He didn't even swagger in the preseason chances he's had.

11. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

...and then you woke up.

12. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Danny Ainge is his uncle and camp was before his heart attack. Ainge just seems kind of shady. There were rumors about his lack of leadership at Tennessee, he gets suspended for performance enhancing drugs and now this. I predict he will not be a Jet in a few months.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Why wait that long ? If Pizzicati (sp) lights it up , then opt for him on the PS.
    I still think we need a Vet in to coach and mentor Sanchez , Vinny anyone ??

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Pizza Bites may have it in him to be the next Brooks Bollinger.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he could start half the season. This is a transitional year. 8-10 weeks, then the Sanchez era begins.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Yeap, Sanchez is gonna come in and take over the team, hell we don't even need a backup QB. There's no doubt. Where's Ray Lucas when you need him. Lets get rid of Clemens and sign Grossman to hold the clip board. The only question is wheter he's gonna be the starter or backup in the Pro Bowl. Oh, and Ryan's gonna be the coach of the year. Drink the Kool Aid.

17. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

If Urlacher can regain his Swagger, certainly Clemens can do the same:

[​IMG]

#17 TheBlairThomasFumble, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Ty Law is becoming a pathetic story. He's really trying to hang on when he has little to nothing left in the tank.

Some of these superstar athletes should learn how to leave the game gracefully because all they end up doing is damaging their legacy. (Sound familar Favre?)

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Grossman has more playing experience and played in a Super Bowl... maybe he can tell sanchez what not to do. good idea

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

We should trade for Jim Sorgi......if Clemens fails at carrying a clipboard too....I want somebody with experience.

I like the "cut of this kid's brow". :wink: