Justin Fields Pro Day. March 30th Tuesday

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2021.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I wish i remember the source, but back in that draft there was a scout or analyst who in referring to Sam said he looked like a cow on ice skates! I remember that comment because it stuck me funny but not the guy's name and knowing the nature of the talking heads he was probably one of the guys who then said Rosen is the most pro ready....

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

3 years later and he still looks like a cow on ice skates :(

NYGANGGREEN, Brook! and REVISion like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

bingo. nothing wrong with either of them on film, but nothing impressive and they look like system QBs that needs the right system and a lot of talent around them to be good. where a guy like wilson looks like he can be plugged in anywhere and succeed. we also have to operate with the assumption that saleh/JD will be running the team the entire rookie contract of whoever we draft so it should be someone who fits saleh's system and who both of them feel can be a leader on and off the field

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The added size, speed, superior arm strength & athleticism have real world in game implication. The arm tackle that may have brought Baker down; Fields escapes. The DE that chased Baker down for a loss; Fields outruns. The long deep pass Baker underthrows; Fields hits in stride for a TD. The safety that trips Baker in the open field; Fields jukes. Measurables matter that’s why they measure.

Pepsiguy5 and azhar80 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

I disagree, Fields is not going to routinely outrun pass rushers. He needs to beat them from the pocket. His athleticism isn't anything special anyway.

Josh Allen's athleticism is special and even when he tried to play that way and he sucked. Now he's better from the pocket. Fields is NO Josh Allen physically/athletically

6. chandler

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. legler82

You are disagreeing with point I didn’t make. I didn’t say he is going to “routinely” outrun DEs. I was expressing that he is more likely to make those type of plays more than Baker given his speed superior speed and athleticism. Even if that was net just 1 more of said plays a game or every couple of games, that’s still one more extra opportunity you wouldn’t have alternatively. If you think Fields’ athleticism is nothing special, I don’t know what to say to you except OK.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Fields is definitely a better athlete than Allen. I think Legler is overrating the importance of that in a QB but just saying.

9. BrowningNagle

ok gotcha. Ur right we were comparing him to Baker Gayfield

legler82 likes this.
  10. legler82

Again either I’m doing a poor job communicating or there is a serious comprehension issue here. I was making a comparison between Baker & Fields. At no point did I express athleticism as essential for the position.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Gotcha, my mistake misinterpreting that. I mainly just wanted to address BrowningNagle's point about Allen being a better athlete than Fields and how I disagree with that.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He nearly catches his runningback in a full sprint for the end zone with a 7-8 yard head start..

Allen has developed into an incredible passer in the run and he can run over linebackers. But I wouldn't say he's a better athlete than Fields.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know that he said 2017, but meant 2018, but I think it is actually 2017 that has closer resemblance to what we are dealing with here with Wilson/Fields.

14. legler82

I got you. I Fields & Wilson are closer to the 2018 group than the 2017.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

16. chandler

Something i see all the time. Someone actually makes a legitimate criticism but the subsequent conclusion doesn't necessary follow. People think because the person was right on the former, the latter follows or the person is smart and must know the latter.

in any event this year like that I am completely befuddled on the right choice

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  17. legler82

He got the following 100% right:

NYGANGGREEN, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, he did but then spoiled it all by thinking Rosen was the best QB, I mean that was some flawed thought process right there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. legler82

He thought Baker was the best from what I read. Rosen was the best of the rest that he didn’t like too much.

K'OB likes this.
  20. chandler

this is from the NYPost article
    He likes Mayfield best of all the quarterback prospects, followed by Rosen, Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Allen and Lamar Jackson, assigning first-round grades to all of them. It is not as if Shonka believes all these players will be busts, but, other than Mayfield and possibly Rosen, he does not see what all the fuss is about and certainly does not salivate over this class.

In any event, this is why i personally get frustrated following the guys who are supposed to be pros at evaluating -- Kiper being the worst

Regardless, thanks to you and JV, for all the patience in discussing your thoughts on these prospects. I for one appreciate your effort and have learned from both of your postings