Justin Fields Pro Day. March 30th Tuesday

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Better be or NFLN got some explaining to do.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You said: "Wilson was one of BYU's highest recruited quarterback of all time"

So I provided a rebuttal that showed that he was NOT a highly recruited guy. Not only was he not a 4 star recruit, he wasn't handed the job and had to compete for it. I didn't claim that he had to beat out anyone special, but simply countered your assertion. Nor did I ever say that 9 QBs in a room was unusual, but the fact remains Wilson DID have to compete with them and win the job. It wasn't an "interpretation" it was a fact.

Again, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west - dispute it if you want.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. legler82

The disrespect is real.

Freddy Mondo, NYJFOREVER and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I never said he was a four star recruit, I said he was one of their highest recruited quarterbacks of all time, which is in fact true as he's the sixth highest rated quarterback in BYU recruiting history.

You tried to crown it as an accomplishment to win the starting job when he was the incumbent starter and somehow related it to the journey of Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes. He doesn't fit into that narrative, nor should anyone be impressed with him winning the starting job.

Are you done crying because someone disagrees with you? Sheesh. I thought we were all grown men here.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Is that smoke that Wilson will in fact be there?

6. legler82

Or they are not interested.

7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Wow. Up until a couple of months ago the general consensus was Lawrence/Fields, 1 and 1a. The biggest part of evaluations that fans don't have access to is the interview process. What's happening in those Zoom meetings?

8. legler82

9. legler82

GMs know best

Justin Herbert 6th
    Josh Allen 7th
    Patrick Mahomes 10th
    Deshaun Watson 12th

10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Sometime we don't know these things... but yes it is kinda weird.

11. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Fields is a far better runner than Dak and Russell Wilson.

REVISion and PJ4Ever like this.
  12. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The best comparison for Fields is Cam Newton. They have similar throwing motion.

13. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

To tell you the truth I'm not sold on any of these QBs but at least Fields beat some really good teams don't see Zach Wilson having any real competition his first 2 years were marred with struggle and injuries I probably feel more hope with Jets taking Fields he beat a really good Clemson team showed he can play in against high level teams . Personally I stick with Sam and would trade down build a actual team around him or trade down take Mac Jones.

ouchy likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

The fact that you can't - or won't - see the parallels to Burrow and Mahomes I can only ascribe to your bias against Wilson. I never said anyone should be impressed that he won the job - another straw man for which you're a master at constructing - I was countering your assertion that he was "one of the highest recruited QBs in BYU history", implying that he was this "walk on water" recruit who would be expected to be given the job, which he wasn't. And my reference to him not being a 4 start recruit was in reply to what you said about the guy he beat out, Mangum:

"Mangum himself was a four star recruit".

And I'm not shedding any tears because you, or anyone else, disagrees with me. But you resorting to insults only shows that you've got nothing to counter with.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Rockinz was the only one that I recall that was on the Allen train. So he should be acknowledged. Listen there are scouts, GM's and coaches that get this wrong constantly. 70% of it is probably just plain luck. They prick and prod these kids, watch months of video and have a bunch of in person interviews and still blow it. Then you have a franchise like the Steelers that has a QB for 12 plus years, not big into free agency signings and always drafting in the back half of the draft every year. They got the secret sauce for sure.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Their throwing motions are nowhere near the same. Cam Newton throws with all arm in a somewhat compact motion and it's hurt him a lot as he's gotten older because he's lost strength in it from taking a beating and throwing like that for so long that he has to torque his entire body to get juice on it since his footwork and lower body doesn't follow his arm.

Fields has an elongated motion that naturally uses his core and drives with his legs.

Fields rushed for 33 yards per game in his college career and that includes a short four game stint where he was used as a change up running quarterback (266 yards in four games). Newton rushed for over 100. Fields has less rushing attempts in his college career than Cam Newton did in his senior season at Auburn.

They're big black quarterbacks who both wore visors. That's about where the comparisons end.

17. ColoradoContrails

Yep, the large majority of GMs and scouts don't seem to have a good handle on evaluating QBs. I attribute that to a lack of attention paid to the mental/character aspects of players which admittedly are hard to quantify. I'm surprised that someone hasn't already compiled a list of shared qualities of great QBs. While they each have their own style, they do all share a lot of traits that make them successful. If a GM sat down and made up that list, he'd be far more successful in finding FQBs.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Burrow only had one good year. He looked very good last year before the injury

19. legler82

I’m glad you did it; I didn’t have the energy.

IIMeanDeanII and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

What. Is. The. Parallel. To. Mahomes.

I already explained how there isn't one.

Burrow was a two year starter who produced the best college football season of all time. He beat SEVEN top 25 teams in fifteen games and they finished THREE games within single digits of their opponent in the toughest conference in the world that pumps out NFL defensive players like it's an Apple factory. All top 25 teams were ranked in the top 10 at the time of victory.

In the year prior, Burrow and LSU beat five top 25 ranked teams. Sure not a great personal season for him, but what he did his last year was absolutely legendary. Given the end result of their college careers, there is no comparison.

He won the Heisman by the biggest total point landslide vote ever and only finished second to OJ's 855 first place votes by 14.

#60 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    ouchy likes this.