Just Heard Some Good News About Mims

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Apr 7, 2022.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I don't think it was his brains as much as his lack luster attitude. I think Mims thought being a professional WR was easier than it really is. Year two was a wake up call. If he doesn't get it this year, he never will , but he deserves a last shot.

KingRoach, cval and boozer32 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

. JD has probably very little intention of drafting a WR in the first round, contrary to the expectations of many here who want a top WR at ten.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree

4. boozer32

He could have said nothing as usual. It's just a tweet you act as no one else has ever reported a response.

5. boozer32

It was the coaching staff that was the issue. Mims was perfectly fine the prior year and everybody on this site was a fan. Cause of Saleh and Pepe LaFleur's goofy offense play calling he's in the doghouse. Nobody looked good on offense or defense last year kinda weird pinning it on Mims.

blackssmagic, Jojo and RochesterJet like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t think it was attitude,smarts, head on straight or anything like that. I think he’s just a bad fit for this offense and wouldn’t have been drafted by this staff.

b.reyes16 and Noam like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

All traps, no snaps.
    All core, no score.
    All physique, no Tyreek.

Jojo, FJF, b.reyes16 and 8 others like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

#2 is especially good...

K'OB likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's very possible we do depending how the board falls. I could even see him trading up from 35 to grab a WR he really likes in the late teens/early 20s. really depends how things fall.

LAJet likes this.
  10. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Not sure what that is based on, but I think the evidence suggests his top priority is getting WR weapons for Zach.
    1. JD is notorious for not throwing much money at FA targets, but he has now made two attempts to throw everything and the kitchen sink at Tyreke Hill and DK Metcalf. JD is clearly not going to be shy about using any capital he has to get Zach a great receiver.
    2. JD has mentioned multiple times the need to get weapons for Zach.
    3. Specifics aside, I think JD knows the most important thing to help a young QB develop is to have a solid OL and great WR targets. JD has pulled out all the stops on the OL, and I think he knows he needs to pull out all the stops on WR if his prized futre FQB is going to turn into a FQB.

I don't see the issue as a question of who is the BPA or what the team as a whole needs to win an extra game or two this year. I think JD will invest big in a WR (either FA or top ten pick), then get back to BPA.

Noam likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I think we still draft a receiver, loaded class. Mims is still good to have for depth and if he has improved all the better for us. Elijah Moore and Corey Davis were banged up last year. Can't have enough bodies.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I hope everybody remembers that we were desperate for wide receiver depth at one point last year. The Jets did everything they could possibly do not to put Mims in games (a pretty clear sign). He finally came in and got penalties on back-to-back plays and then vanished from existence. It wasn't his rookie year it was his second year. He is yet another second round pick at the wide receiver position that will go down a straight garbage. I would love for him to turn into Jerry Rice but let's be honest, it's never going to happen.

REVISion likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well I might be wrong, but IMO that is exactly why JD has been pushing hard for a WR in free agency. He recognizes the need, but he also knows he wants to go top talent at Edge and CB or OL with the first two picks, where the best talent is, and he does not see enough separation of WR talent in the draft to use the tenth pick over those noted above. There is not one receiver that completely stands out above the rest like last year, but a load of talent a notch below that where we can get a damned good one with the first pick of the second round or trade down some get an extra pick and strike then.
    And yes, the issue of winning a couple of extra games this year and solidify positions we have not had in many years is of major importance along with helping Zach. I’m convinced he will go free agent WR on a trade before the draft, because he does not want to use the tenth pick on one. They have already approached Seattle, and there will be more moves as we get closer to the draft.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

See that's the problem, yeah he's not going to be Jerry Rice but he also doesn't need to be. He is big and he can run, they should be finding out a way to use him instead of burying him on the bench for lesser talents because of their system

Yeah he came in and made some mistakes in limited playing time, but hell the QB throws 60% of his passes in the dirt or to the other team, but they looked right over those mistakes

If you look at his limited play, he has shown ability to run nicely after the catch. The offensive coordinator should be finding ways to get him the ball in space IMO.

blackssmagic, Jojo and KingRoach like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

link to those stats?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The NFL has soooooo many tall and fast WR's that never amounted to anything. There's so much more to playing the position than that.

Based on everything we heard from the coaches last year Mims was an absolute liability due to not knowing the playbook. Can't have a guy out there who runs the wrong routes or misses blocking assignments no matter how tall and fast he is.

dmw, ColoradoContrails, FJF and 2 others like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

which is also easier to fix than a talent issue. so there is hope.

blackssmagic and KingRoach like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The NFL also has had soooooo many coordinators who thought their system was something special and never amounted to anything because they didnt adjust it to the players they had

Brook!, blackssmagic and ouchy like this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Probably based on things like:
    -An established NFL WR is not the same as a draft prospect.
    -JD does NOT have a rep for telegraphing his draft moves and giving people an opportunity to outflank him.
    -The CS has mentioned numerous times the best way to help their FQB is to improve the D
    -The CS has mentioned numerous times that a receiver doesn’t need to be a WR
    -JD is big on value. It has been widely reported that this WR class is meh at the top.

If we could figure out a way to do it, I would BET we don’t take a WR in the 1st round.

LAJet and ouchy like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

everyone knew he was taking wilson last year and leaks came out about AVT as well. stuff leaks for every GM including JD. not saying it's all accurate but sometimes where there is smoke, there is fire

ouchy and Noam like this.