Jordan Jenkins will be back with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 23, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yup!!

sounds like Gregg Williams is gonna have to blitz Jamal Adams every 3rd down again if he ever wants to get pressure on the QB. Sad.

Was hoping he could play Adams like Adams was born to be played - as a roaming safety. Oh well, maybe some day :(

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I trust Douglas will understand this also.

If Jenkins is our elite pass rusher, we're screwed

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It could be that the prospects are raw and not ready to contribute right away. FWIW, Khalil Mack had 4 sacks in his first year. DeMarcus Lawrence had 0 sacks in year 1, and 1 in his 3rd year. Frank Clark had 3 sacks in his rookie season.

Polite had work ethic questions going into the draft. In hindsight, it shouldn't be a shock that he's already on his 3rd team. I don't think it's fair to assume a similar fate awaits an Edge prospect taken this year in round 3.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Just want to shout out, I watched a really interesting video on Jamal Adams that was around 30 minutes long. One of the most interesting tidbits (among many) is that he is not set to blitz nearly as much as we all think. A lot of what appear to be “blitzes” are in fact him diagnosing the play so far in advance and having such great tape study and instincts, that he is already running past the line of scrimmage. This is not speculation, this is straight out of a conversation between he and Brian Baldinger.

5. Falco21

Things like this make me think we have the right guy in Douglas:

[​IMG]

Red Menace, boozer32, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i should have read ahead. If 5 mill is correct, that's a great deal!!!

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

makes sense yeah, it is often delayed pressure where he does his most damage

Brook! likes this.
  8. MaximusD163

I take all of these types of things with a grain of salt. Agents or players often say these types of things, how often they are true is probably a fraction. It takes a running theme over a couple years from a team for me to start believing them.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Jordan Jenkins is a solid player. Nice to re-sign home grown talent and that price tag is fair.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He was also our Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee I believe. And won the Jets team community service award. So I'd have to imagine he's a good guy to have around. $5 mill a year is a good deal. Wish we could've gotten a 4 years for $25 mill kind of deal but he's betting on himself to have a Shaq Barrett kind of year.

chandler likes this.
  11. Falco21

Agreed but you can put the pieces together and determine that there is probably truth to this. Jenkins is a very good player. Not an elite talent, but a guy that put up 15 sacks in the last two seasons. Now knowing that we resigned him on a one year deal worth $5 million, I would bet other teams definitely offered him more or for more years.

I think this is a case of a guy who liked what he saw with Gregg Williams and likes Douglas and his plan. Also flies in the face of people claiming Gase is toxic to keeping and bringing in players to play for him

Sec124DieHard and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

more than fair! I'd like to think JD is talking to guys saying something to the effect of "We're trying to build something here, I know other teams would offer you X and you're worth it, but we can't pay that and build the team we want; we're asking all our players to sacrifice a bit for the sake of a better team. It's not like any saving are going into my or the teams pockets; it's all going to players; All we can offer is Y"

Some guys are buying in, and other guys are chasing the last nickel (looking at you Robbie)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We would've been in the same situation in terms of scheme if we signed Clowney.

I'm being a little sarcastic but he doesn't add a ton more in terms of pass rush.

Jenkins had 15 sacks and 28 QB hits over the past two years (30 games).

Clowney had 12 sacks and 34 QB hits in the same time period (28 games).

chandler and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. MaximusD163

Considering how little we’ve spent on any one player, adding Clowney is certainly not unrealistic even now. I wouldn’t say “probable” but I do see a reasonable chance.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think Hewitt and Burgess resigning means that Williamson will be moved or released for cap space.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I also think Douglas has a long-term plan to avoid the mega/cap breaking deals that MacCagnan foolishly surrendered (Wilkinson, Revis, T.Johnson, etc). The Minnesota Vikings almost never have dead money dragging their cap down because they don't overspend on washed-up talent.

Brook!, Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am liking these non splashy pickups by Joe. LBs are set, and now if he can get an Edge even it is a veteran Edge on a 1 or 2 year deal, it can help the entire Defense. We do not need to be a dominating Defense just improve from last year.

Focus on Perriman or Anderson, and and Edge.
    Then focus on WR, OL, CB, OL with first 4 picks.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Good move. Solid productive player. Glad he's still on the team

BacktoQueens, boozer32 and Brook! like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Would rather have a well rounded linebacker than a guy that just turns up the field. How many teams have Clowney been on now? Means something is wrong with him especially with him being the #1 pick in the draft. Would rather have Vinny Curry and a reduced price than Clowney.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You were doing so good until you mentioned Q Williams. He might be doing 5-10 in Rikers or suspended for a long time, can't be relying on him. Even without a prison sentence he was not someone to be depending on. Just look at his dumb decison bringing a gun to an airport in NYC. Not knowing NYC has one of the toughest gun laws in the world. Two violation right there.