Jones vs. Mingo.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo?

Poll closed May 3, 2013.
  1. Jones

89 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. Mingo

31 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jones has proven to be productive. Mingo is nothing but upside. Jones still has plenty to learn as well. To me it's not even close. Jarvis has a mean streak too, he doesn't give up. No contest

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am not very keen on either - can we get a "neither" option to the poll :)

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Haha, if I had to choose it would probably be neither and go full offense in the 1st, but this seems like a very real and relevant debate :)

4. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

I vote Mingo. Jones had great production but that was the college game. Mingo is the more projectable pro player. You've got to be able to envision what a player can do in the future, not just go on past results.

If you ask me, Jones will be the classic case of a guy who was fast enough to succeed in the college game, but not fast enough for the pros. Plus you've got the injury risk. I just don't see it adding up for Jones.

5. Voted Mingo & my thoughts on this subject are well known.

Folks are putting way much stock into Jones college production as well as too much into Mingo supposively being a project.

Bottom line is EVERY draft pick is a project in way or another.You draft players for the future..not just tomorrow. If the prospect doesn't have a ceiling than odds are he can't help you long term.

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Jones. The combine shit is overrated and Mingo imo is overrated as well.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll take em both......can u imagine.

8. 518

518 Member

Mingo has bust written all over him "athletic freak, huge upside, can be a beast" well if he was such a beast why no production? It's not like he is huge like Coples and Wilkerson, the guy is undersized. I think he is Maybin all over again..... Can he contribute in the right situation? Yeah probably.... Is he worth a first round pick? Not in my book. Jones has proven game after game he is a pass rushing force who has a tremendous knack for causing turnovers. Jones all the way.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Please give the Mingo crap a rest. Anyone who thinks he can pan out has also fallen in love with projects that didn't work out. He is not the right fit.

We need a player that can produce immediately. Shit on these project players.

If it is between a project player and a guaranteed product that has a questionable medical history, take the guy that you know will produce.

Mingo will probably end up sizzling out pretending to be an NFL player.

Project players are for suckers.

10. People who don't have the foresight or ability to breakdown physical ability fall in love w/ college production.

We are not trying to build a college all star team. We are trying to build an NFL powerhouse. Does college production provide the insight of things like Scheme/surrounding cast/level of competition/medical? It can't. Just like players who dominate in HS struggle at the college level..the same thing can happen w/ the jump to the pro's. Big difference between an SEC linemen & an AFC east linemen. If a player doesn't have the strength,quickness,bend,etc to hold up...it doesn't matter how many sacks he had in college.

Ignoring hands on film, physical ability & potential is irresponsible.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Projecting a player to do something at the NFL level that he didn't do in college is a fool's errand. Mingo, for whatever reasons, did not beat all that many SEC tackles for sacks. He had about half as many sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles as Jarvis Jones. He had about 70% of the pressures Jones had.

Projecting him to be an impact player at the pro level when he could not do that in college is just really risky business and it's a heavy bust factor since even if he is a decent player if he does not sack a lot of people it won't matter he'll still be a bust given the pick.

Now projecting Jarvis Jones to maintain his production as he moves to the pros is also a bit risky. Not all great college players are capable of moving their production to the pros.

But nobody will be surprised at all if Jones and Mingo just keep doing what they've proven they can do so far and in that situation Jones will be an All-Pro and Mingo will be a bust.

I just don't see how anybody can suggest taking Mingo over Jones. It's a proposition loaded with downside potential because while Mingo might step it up and find himself at the NFL level there's always the chance that Jones improves also and then you are talking a historically bad mistake.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mingo has a higher ceiling but a lower floor...

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Mingo was also asked to contain many athletic QBs in the SEC instead of rushing the passer. LSU's scheme his final year did not help his stats. If you want, look at his stats from the 2011 season when the scheme actually had him rushed the passer.

Stats don't tell everything, you have to look at the scheme and responsibilities and attributes of a player. Mingo has multiple passrushing moves and is a much better athlete that Jones.

Jones was asked to do one thing in college, rush the passer, hence his higher sack total

14. Br4d

I don't think Mingo has a higher ceiling. I think Jones has a higher ceiling.

To see Mingo as having a higher ceiling you need to think something is going to fundamentally change for him. His production in college was good but not great.

To see Jones as having a higher ceiling all you need to think is that he's going to be able to keep going at the same rate he was in the SEC.

15. Jonky

Jonky Banned

You do realize Mingo missed more games/ snaps to injury last year then Jones did in both years at Georgia. Mingo and Jones both played SEC schedules and Jones produced more each year then Mingo in three. Your argument is flawed top to bottom.

16. So you're telling me there has NEVER Been a player who had better production in the pro's than in college? There are many examples.

Not everybody is put in the best position at every level. There are always lingering circumstances that can affect a guys play. On and off the field. That's why the film is so important.

I'm not a fool to believe that production isn't important. Of course it is. But this notion that its the be-all end all in a league firmly built on athleticism is just crazy talk.

As for taking Mingo over Jones. I've outlined quite a few reasons why it makes sense..mainly of course that he's a vastly better athlete. And while we're on the subject of Mingo's production why don't we take a look at his compared to another player people on here love in Dion Jordan. Their stats are almost identical.Now I like Jordan but if Mingo is an athlete project so is he..Nobody on here has ever acknowledged that however.

17. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Wow very creative but total rubbish. Mingo was asked to do one thing and was so-so at it. LSU had a superior lineup and couldn't top UGA's defense! because Mingo failed in his one role.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Mingo will be fine, but not at #9, I never wanted Mingo with our 1st pick. Mingo will be available at #13 and that's where he should be taken, if we go pass rusher.

19. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

This. I like Jordan but I think other than his coverage skills his "potential" is being over rated.

20. Br4d

His 2011 year was inferior in every way to Jones 2011 and 2012.

If you go look at cfbstats.com, which is probably the best site for compiling stuff including all the miscellaneous stats, you see Mingo looking like a good DE and Jones looking like a great LB.

I mean, maybe Mingo has all this gold in there somewhere but he played 4 games against Alabama and came away with no sacks (McCarron is *not* a running QB who needs to be contained). Jones played 1 game at Alabama at the end of his career and put McCarron on his ass twice.

That's not the same quality player. Nick Saban tried to neutralize Jones and couldn't quite get it done despite having one of the best blocking schemes in the country.