Jones vs. Mingo.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo?

Poll closed May 3, 2013.
  1. Jones

89 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. Mingo

31 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. laxin

laxin Active Member

This could potentially be the NY Jets biggest decision in the war room. Ive heard that the Jets like both of the players, and they seem like big possibilities at either 9 or 13.

Both of these players have major flaws for someone being drafted in the top 10. They are two totally different animals in their own right.

Jones has been one of the most consistent forces in the SEC and college football. He certainly has the college production to warrant the pick. But then you dive into his medical with the spinal stenosis. The doctor who cleared him apparently was murdered recently, so who knows what is up with that front. To say the least, it scares you about his longevity. Another big red flag is his lack of elite athleticism. Now, I certainly do not think that the numbers he posted at his proday appear on the field, but you can tell from the tape that he doesnt have the elite potential from the lack of the elite explosiveness and bend.

[​IMG]

Mingo on the other hand is almost the extreme opposite. He possesses the great athleticism, bend, burst, flexibility, ect. He doesnt have any real medical concerns either. But he does not have the stat sheet the Jones has. Now, Mingo certainly impacted games much farther than what appeared on the box score, but his overall production did decline and it is a cause for concern. Im trying so hard to warm up to Mingo, but I just go back to the tape and do not see a top 10 pick. Some may say he compares to Bruce Irvin, but the one MAJOR thing I loved about Irvin that Mingo currently does not do, is convert speed into power. Irvin was an extremely violent player for his size. I can not say the same for Mingo.

[​IMG]

What it comes down to, is what flaws can you be okay with? Its almost like the QB discussion. Every passrusher (maybe outside of Jordan) has their majors flaws. Every QB in this class has their flaws. What it comes down to, is what flaws do you think are fixed through coaching and what is more important to you?

Im not sure how anyone can absolutely love any of these players, because they have major red flags. But if I had to choose with a gun to my head... I might unconfidently mutter out "Mingo". That is solely based on the fact that I trust Rex and his ability to coach up a player with elite tools.

What is the draft forum's opinion???

#1 laxin, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's essentially how I feel. Not in love with either player, but I think Mingo has a much higher upside in this defense, considering both what Rex can do with elite athletes and considering that our defense sorely needs SPEED. We've lacked a guy with elite quickness and athleticism in the front 7 since losing Abraham.

I hate it because I was a huge Jones fan in college, but to me, the biggest argument against Mingo is that he has a higher probability of being a bust than most. Jones's lack of size and athleticism combined with his injury history give him a similarly low floor to Mingo, so I'll unconfidently go Mingo as well...

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Jones for me, personally. Comes after Jordan but ahead of Mingo/Ansah (who are kind of tied for me).

4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I think Rex and Idzik want to , at all cost avoid project players. Mingo is, imo a project player.

The bottom line, if a coach or a team were to pick a player in the 1st round and the goal was for that player to help immediately - which means plug him in the line up for all 16 games, it's an easy choice. Jones has that quality because he's a football player first, and an athlete, irregardless of what the pro day work outs seem to indicate. These pro day/combine workouts are over-rated, imo. Too much emphasis on athleticism and not enough on instincts. Jones has the performance/stats to back up his accomplishments.

Mingo has 'potential' but you don't draft a 1st rounder on potential alone. Sure, he's quick and agile, but so are basketball and hockey players.

#4 BomberJet, Apr 23, 2013
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm still high on Jones. Recent report suggest he got a warm and fuzzy interest from the Jets as well, for what its worth.
    At 13, i think he'd be a great selection.

Conversely, i'd be flat out pissed if we gamble on the physical talents of Mingo. He screams 1 dimensional to me, and wouldn't be on the field all downs.

6. Windeos

Windeos Member

Warmack and Jones with our 2 1st's and I'd be delighted, outside of being able to trade back

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No guards in the first round. I would be shocked if Idzik did that. I'll be shocked if he took one before the third in fact.

8. Don

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This poll is a landslide. I hope the Jets brass are looking at this..No go on Mingo!!

10. goat784

goat784 Banned

11. goat784

goat784 Banned

Hope that isn't a smoke screen and we really pull the trigger on him.

12. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Its not even close when u weigh the production. Jarvis Jones & Tavon Austin.

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

14. Don

All I know is this guy better be a beast if we use the 9th or the comparisons to Gholsten will start up immediately..for that reason alone I don't think we take either with the 9th pick and maybe not the 13th either. Idzik's first pick has to be a no-brainer sure thing.

#14 Don, Apr 23, 2013
  15. goat784

goat784 Banned

Jones is not even close to Gholston.. Jones has the numbers plus the motor. He was the best defensive player in college football and he played in the toughest conference.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I know Jarvis Jones isn't the fastest LB but he is definitely faster than the 4.9 he ran. If you watch the video of his pro day it looks like he was pulling up a bit. There are some murmurs out there that he may have been hurt but Jones is not making excuses.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id certainly be okay with that. Give me Austin in the first and Im okay with almost any scenario.

18. NFL

NFL Active Member

Jones over ANY other OLB in my opinion. I'm not as high as everyone else on Jordan.

19. Don

If they take him he better live up to it that's all I'm saying...don't forget Gholsten had 20 1/2 sacks in his last year in school too..your comments are the same thwy were saying about him.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan. If the Jets take Mingo I'm putting a hole in my TV.