Johnson or Johnson... Choose your poison

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Either of them would be fine if they found a strong football guy to run the organization and then sat back and did nothing but check in on his or her progress every 3 years or so.

Joe Douglas could be that guy as could a strong HC who then hired a caddy GM.

The point is that ownerships that take an active hand in the business on a continuous basis are almost always total disasters. Find your guy, sit back and watch him work. Profit. That's what works.

The guy the Johnson brothers should be trying to emulate is Robert Kraft. I'm sure he had dinner with Bill Belichik now and then but I highly doubt he made suggestions about anything but the greatest QB of all time - which was a no-brainer topic.

Leicester Jet, MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Looks similar to 70's Jets, nothing to see here move along.

3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

fwiw.. people within the Woody umbrella like Chris better "BUT" neither one is particularly bright when it comes to foosball. I may reach out to my contact in the inner circle and put my name in the hat, we could do worse.

4. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I think the MLB owned the expos for a while. The Jets aren’t nearly bad enough to be bought out. The browns and lions are both good examples of teams that have been run terribly. They aren’t forcing the Ford family to sell.

5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

CJ over Woody and it ain't even close. Yes, Chris is in over his head from a decision-making standpoint, but he's more likely to let JD do his thing without interference. Woody, on the other hand, gave us Tebow and Revis 2.0 and I just don't trust that he won't meddle with Joe's long term vision in an effort to "win now" and/or win the back page.

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Didn't he do that with Douglas? How can everyone praise Douglas so highly and criticize Chris Johnson for hiring him?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Douglas hire was a good hire. The timing was bad. Maccagnan got to control an extra free agency and draft period and he set the Jets rebuild back by at least one season when he got that opportunity.

He didn't mean to do that, he just had no clue how to build an NFL team.

Jets79 and stinkyB like this.
  8. Ralebird

But the topic here is not MacCagnan; it's which Johnson is less harmful.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If they aren't going to step away and let competent people run the football side of the organisation at least get in some advisors that know the game and have a vested interest in seeing the Jets do well. Mangold, Pennington spring to mind.

NCJetsfan and jetstopgun like this.
  10. Ralebird

What makes you think either of these guys has the business acumen necessary for such a position?

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Nothing. But they wouldn't be there to have anything to do with the business side. They'd be there as a buffer between either Johnson and the football operation. To advise on football decisions as someone who was involved with the game to an owner who has regularly involved outside agencies to recruit people because their own decisions haven't proven very good. Preferable to having the Johnsons have no input or leaning on corporate headhunters or guys like Casserly IMO. I'd rather the GM just be given full control or a Head of Football be installed really, but the Johnsons clearly don't want to go down this route.

12. Ralebird

I don't see the value - that's what Douglas is supposed to be there for. Putting more bodies in there will not help in building a consensus. I agree with your call for a head of football operations and have called for that in the past; it appears to be a nonstarter.

#32 Ralebird, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I pick Sonny Werblin

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They could pick a name out of a grab bag and land a better coach than Gase, but these guys would eschew the grab bag for some other bazar thought process with a lower probability of success.

Douglas needs to level up by forcing these guys to get out of their own (and his) way.

Gun to my head I’ll go with Woody, though. Better track record.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The simple fact that Joe Douglas and Adam Gase both report directly to Chris tells you all you need to know. CJ aint going anywhere and he aint hiring anyone else. We sink or swim with him.

Maybe we should buy Chris this for Christmas?

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whats the use ,,same shit different day

Becoming a Raiders fan becomes more of a possibility for me as the months drag on

Its TL and Gase gone or bye bye

17. It’s not so much the timing of when they fired him but rather that they apparently had no faith in him leading up to that draft even before he inevitably screwed it up.

The timing in some ways was advantageous in that they had no competition in finding a replacement & it gave Douglas time to evaluate the entire roster/situation before taking action;As opposed to the conventional hiring/firing pattern in which a GM gets hired & 10 days later is at the senior bowl then immediately prepping for the combine.

Ron Wolfe credits a similar timing for his hiring w the Packers & the ability to sit back to self evaluate as a crucial piece in his ability to turn around what was a very bad situation in Green Bay.

Some NFL insiders have suggested this could become the new norm as a result. Week after draft if FA/draft classes look like crap,GMs are gonna get fired.Most personnel depts are on vaca & refocusing immediately following the draft anyway.It all makes perfect sense.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They don't need business acumen. They wouldn't be hired for their business acumen. There's already a team President who has business acumen and runs the business side. They would be hired for their football acumen. C'mon, this isn't rocket science!

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Woody has never admitted a mistake, never tried to learn more about the game, and is a totally clueless twit. While Chris isn't much (if any brighter), at least he has enough sense to admit when he's made a mistake, own up to it, and is making an effort to learn. Chris knows what he doesn't know. Woody doesn't have a freaking clue.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I guess.

It’s a lose lose, literally.

NCJetsfan likes this.