Johnson Brothers are Alienating the Fanbase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Neat dodge.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I said this very thing this morning when we had been chatting amicably until the 10 wins post, look I don't want a fall out with you or anybody on here particularly tbh, I like a lot of your posts, I didn't like your Mac ones and I didn't like the Mahomes ones either (mainly because it was pointless as he was gone and we now have Sam and Adams) I understood your point however, it just went on a bit and into whiny territory :eek::p

3. ColoradoContrails

Fair enough. Let's move on, shall we?;)

K'OB likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I guess its just a personal thing. Personally, I see an owner that "maybe a football idiot" and is too dumb to recognize that and too cheap to pay for higher caliber football minds, as alienating the fanbase. you don't.

I see a team in NY going 20 years with 1 division title as inexcusable, no matter who is in the division. Yeah, the other teams that don't win the division are Buffalo and Miami, small market teams that are mired in futility. I would like to have a higher standard for ownership than them

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In fairness to Leon Hess, he actually had a full time job building an Oil empire he didn't inherit. He was an original investor in a consortium that bought the Jets in 1963. He bought out his partners in 68 the year we played and won the SB. He essentially bought a team with no financial future helped build them into a SB champion, bought out his partners with a Championship and merger into the NFL. His estate sold that investment for 655 million to guess who.

Hess really didn't give a shit until he was an old man. While Kraft was getting a tug from an Asian hooker, Hess stole Parcells, Bill Belichick and a pair of jockey shorts from Krafts locker room at a Florida tanning salon. He then slapped Kraft around a little more by allowing Parcells to buy Curtis Martin out from under him. Hess was probably 90 when he did that, at least he looked like he was 90.

Leon Hess for all of his neglect of the Jets did more in the 20 minutes he focussed on the team than Johnson or his sons have done as full time executives of the club in decades.

Woody Johnson allowed Bob Kraft to steel Bill Belichik out from under him. For all the suck during the Hess era, Hess was miles better than Woody. If Hess spent the amount of time the Johnson family did on trying to improve this team we would have had multiple championships under HC BB NYJ.

6. ColoradoContrails

But the bottom line, they both sucked. Whether you die by hanging or drowning the outcome is the same.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Bottom line when Hess died we had one of the greatest coaching staff every assembled and 4 1st round draft choices going into the 2000 season.

8. BrowningNagle

it only took him 40 fuckin years tho

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It only took Woody 15 minutes to screw it up.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We had 3 first round draft choices going into 2000. We got the 4th one for Belichick. :mad::mad::mad:

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I actually had a friend send me an e mail last night . it was from him and a ticket rep and it included the Jet schedule and he wanted me to go to a few games, Im still laughing , but still love my buddy he means well. Then today I stop by another friends restaurant, he's in the back doing bills and things and first thing he says " can it get any worse for us " we both laugh he then says lets do a road trip this year ( this is where CBG laughs again ) I say not happening Im done---> he says lets go to 2 away games/ road trips, again I say " have fun " ------he then says lets go to Cincinnati we can go see Ohio State vs Michigan ,I think its the same weekend -----I laugh again and say Id rather go watch the Browns. I honestly thought after the New Stadium / Ticket rep / PSL / Fucking over the loyal fanbase that things could NEVER get any worse = I was wrong. Yep, more people are alienated right now then 5 years ago and this is a tough feat even for the Johnsons squared.I might paste this in the New Stadium thread ,yep thats the ticket

12. BrowningNagle

Anthony Becht for Belichick... nice trade woody johnson :mad::mad::mad:

Biggs likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Poor old Leon Hess.

He took so much abuse at Shea.

Jet fans are brutal.

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I like how you praise all the moves that Mac made to highlight your positive flow moving forward, then bash him in the next breath by suggesting he was only a good GM in the first round.

Huh?

Are the fan base made up of a bunch of whimps, or delusion? Maybe both, eh?

Also, I don't think a fanbase that hasn't won dick in 50 years, that still ride or die with this team despite it all, should be classified as "whimps". It's kind of an oxymoron statement, no?

Maybe it's just me..

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

haha i thought the same as I read that!
    "Got the two best FA's available, the best player in the draft, a top young QB, an offensive HC........thankfully we rid ourselves of that GM!"
    just a little irony in that statement :)

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think we should just change the thread title to...
    The Johnson Brothers are Aliens, it would make more sense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Agreed. The poor bastard actually had better bathrooms at his gas stations that bums used for free than the Jets had at Shea where his loyal customers paid fifty bucks to get into.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ive posted about this previously

Bill B had a falling out with big Bill Parcels and apparently Kraft took advantage of that on Woody's watch

He stole away the most gifted coach in NFL history and the storyline changed into making NE a 6 time champion instead of the Jets getting to the SB

If Bellichek had remained there is a possibility he would have suggested drafting some nobody 6th Round QB from Michigan...

19. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

The effect would be the same though. Can you imagine how utterly embarrassing it would be for the Johnsons if the stadium we played in was just as loud or louder for the opposing team? So while the seats being empty would be ideal, either way Jets fans staying away with send a strong unequivocal message. To people as wealthy and egocentric as the Johnsons this would be a real blow, but a victory for the fans for sure. I don't know that it would make them sell the team but I bet they would change their actions rather than be publicly embarrassed week in and week out. And while I don't want other teams to turn our stadium into an away game, I'd tolerate it for a season if it turned this franchise around.

Edit: made some additions and corrections.

#139 Aewhistory, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  20. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

This is a good point and something worth repeating.

I've defended Leon Hess before as well. Was he a great owner? No. But at the end he did right by this franchise and left us with a firm foundation for success going forward. However the real difference between Hess and the Johnsons is what happens when they actually pay attention. When Hess wasn't paying attention to this franchise they flopped but when he actually gave the attention this franchise deserved it thrived. On the other hand, even when the Johnsons have given their full attention to the franchise it has been a disaster.

NYJetsO12 likes this.