John Clayton reports the Jets/Lions are talking trade for the number 2 pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vilma would be pleased with a trade to a warm-weather contender who played a 4-3. There aren't many of those around at the moment. Maybe none. Atlanta?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You can't possibly believe that was the only week there was competition for the #2 spot, could you?

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Weather doesn't mean jack to Vilma...He's played 3 years in NY, New England, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc. and their isn't any of those excuses...

I'm just very very puzzled at this scenario...If it's 25/Vilma i'd do it, maybe throw in a a 2nd day pick if they want...But nothing more.

4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I don't know why the Coles speculation ran so rampant in this thread. Clayton didn'tmention him.

If Mangini isn't sold on Clemens, I can see the deal being Vilma+Clemens+#25 for #2 and drafting Quinn.

While Johnson may be worth it, I don't see us moving up that high to grab a WR, even though I believe the remaining shelf-life on Coles is limitted.

Peterson is a stud and fills a huge need, but #2 seems a little high for him. Same would go for Branch. If it's a deal that'll happen before the draft, I can see us potentially looking to slide back a few spots.

Long story short, I believe all the rumors surface because the Jets are doing their due dillegence. You call teams and run some low-ball offers by them. If they're interested & give you extraordinary value for somebody you jump on it. Based on the pick value chart, trading our 1st, 2nd and Vilma for #2 puts a value of the #7 pick on Vilma. That's more than Vilma is worth to this team in my opinion, so if that's the offer, you'd have to jump on it.

5. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

all this crap about coles bitching is being taken out of context, yeah he had a few words to say but i would think tangini takes it with a grain of salt and if coles was really serious, something would have been done....to the guy who said coles is crucial to pennington, spot on....those two would be married if it was legal....i want both vilma and coles on this team and thats the mindset tangini has IMHO.

6. Drew

Drew Active Member

If we trade Clemens, doesn't necessarily mean we have to draft Quinn. I'd love to see us pick up someone like Drew Stanton in round 2.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Why would we trade Clemens? That'd be a lousy move...

8. L3JET

L3JET Active Member

Maybe the Jets will trade Vilma, Coles, chad, Rhodes and the 25th pick for the Lions 2nd round pick...:rofl:

9. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Exactly, what a BS post. Someone lock it.

10. Khan

Khan Active Member

It's BS to have a Clayton report now? I never knew that...it's not like he made it up, guys.

11. jetsman22

jetsman22 Banned

Oh man, I hope this is not true.

12. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I really don't see that happening......Mangini likes to run the RB by committee, why would he trade away Vilma for a rookie with only Hi Potential?...I just don't see it going down. Same crap last year with Reggie Bush

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

If this were to happen I'd be very very upset.

14. penny2coles

penny2coles New Member

No way.

Adrian Peterson won't go until about 8 to Houston anyway. No need to overspend for the 2nd overall pick and pay 2nd overall pick $.

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

It's likely he'll go 3rd to the Browns, that's probably why if the Jets want him they're trying to move to #2.

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I wish they hadn't been so quick to trade Bly, I would've been a lot more tempted to do Bly and the #2 for Vilma and the #25. This trade I'm unsure on.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

As much as I love Vilma, I don't think he'll ever be the player in the 3-4 that he was in the 4-3. Vilma and the #25 (and even our second 2nd rounder) for the #2 to take Peterson is a move that I have to make.

18. ViLMaNiaC51

ViLMaNiaC51 New Member

Vilma gets traded...I burn my house down and cry for an hour or 2 forgetting my name

19. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Just because you don't like it, it should be locked?

I don't think I would like this trade, but if it's mentioned as a rumor by someone like Clayton it should definitely be discussed here.

20. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

It would be a huge leap for the Jets to take the 3nd overall pick. Personally, I don't think they have the ammunition to do it.