John Clayton reports the Jets/Lions are talking trade for the number 2 pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

My favorite posts in this thread are the ones that say "the most I would give up in this deal is Vilma & 25" like that would even be close enough in value to make this happen. Even more mind boggling is the ones who wouldn't even do that.

2. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

Actually I think if VIlma came out in this draft, he could easily go in the top 15, therefore 25 and vilma for #2 is not a reach, however, I still would not do it.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well you have to realize that all those posters who do not want to trade JV are more concerned with the money they will lose for buying a JV jersey vs what is best for the team

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Why would you want a WR with blazing speed when we presently have a QB that throws baby muff balls? This will turn out the same way Santana did when the CS finally realized CP could not get SM the ball downnfield behind the secondary

5. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

If the Jets move "somehow" up to the 2 spot, I would think they could use that position to trade back and pick up players and still get the player they are targetting. As for the Jets getting Calvin Johnson or any burner type, they better be great at comeback routes.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Exactly. Vilma never played the 3-4 before. He's "allowed" to have a tough time with it, as he never played in it before. Not everyone can adapt to something the 1st time it is given to them.

I don't want Vilma gone, or Coles too. I don't think the trade is worth it.

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Look...I'd rather keep Vilma on this team, without a doubt. I defended him and feel only 1 season is not fair to judge someone on a brand new system...

But if a player like Calvin Johnson is made available for 25/Vilma, honestly, you have to seriously consider that, he's a freak and will be one helluva receiver in this league with those intangibles he has.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sending Vilma off would be foolish. It's players like Vilma that make championship teams... highly talented, highly motivated players with great leadership qualities.

In the meantime, if we can get our hands on Calvin Johnson, that would be tremendous. His potential could change our offense... everyone knows that Matt Millen is the WORST person in all of football... maybe we can haggle a deal out of him... send him our first this year and next, maybe another late pick this year, and some retarded player, like Justin McCareins.

9. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

first of all, i didnt say anywhere that I wanted Calvin Johnson (even though i do), 2nd, I dont see Pennington being the starter after the 07 season, and 3rd Calvin Johnson while very fast shouldnt be labeled as just a "burner". He has no weaknesses in his game

10. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

not me buddy....try again.

11. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

what a great post....i applaud you....far too much sense in this post to be put on here amongst all this other shit....you sir are a legend :):):):)

12. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

If we are going to trade down in the draft I would love to go somewhere in the 5-8 range to pick up Alan Branch. I know that this isn't really possible because of how much we have to give up but he is the player that I am really interested in. He would be a great player in our 3-4 system.

13. curtisstaysforever28

this thread has been going for about a day now, and it doesnt matter what anyone 'thinks' because this trade wont happen. this would be so unorthodox of the jets FO to do! think about it...we wont go after any of the 'round one' FA players...we are waiting to get the '2nd round' FA players to add depth to the team. so why would we trade our offensive and defensive LEADERS to get some hotshot out of college, whether it be calvin johnson or peterson...

14. xxedge72x

One point regarding Calvin Johnson and the long ball... even though Mangini named Pennington the starter going into 2007, nobody knows how long Mangini plans on waiting before finally giving Kellen his shot, if ever. However, if and when Kellen does get his shot, all the long ball talk is out the window and suddenly having a long ball guy like Calvin Johnson starts looking pretty good.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This rumored trade would be an absolute disaster. First, the Jets would be trading two leaders, including the brains of the defense. Second, Vilma deserves another year in the system before the Jets give up on him. As Mangini said, good players have succeeded in the system and Vilma will also. Why is it that the Jets were so patient with Bryan Thomas, but with Vilma the patience runs out??? Third, wide receiver is one of the Jets' strengths. With Coles, Cotchery, Smith, Dwight, McCareins the Jets don't need any help. Fourth, the Jets have many other crying needs that are far more important - the entire right side of the OL, NT, a pass rushing DE/OLB. Why trade up for a receiver????? Lastly, there are too many first round receiver busts to throw away a proven player like Vilma to take such a gamble and receivers are not difference makers. This trade would be horrible.

16. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

WR is definitely not a Jets strength. It's not a glaring weakness, but hardly a strength.

17. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i dont understand how it's not a strength. Cole sand Cotch are extremely reliable receivers that have made big plays regarding YAC. They catch it in traffic and take hits and still hold on to the ball. They represented one of the best WO tandems in terms of pure statistics. Sure, there average yards per receptions weren't that high but that's more because of CP. If the jets had any strengths what would there strength be?

18. xxedge72x

I'd say it's at a point where it's "solid" for now. Signing Cotchery was huge. Drafting someone like Johnson would honestly do nothing for us now... but a few years down the line, would be tremendous... assuming he pans out to this monster that everyone is making him out to be.

Personally, I went to the GA Tech vs. Miami game this year, and wasn't overly impressed by him. He played good but he didn't show much flare... then again that's the only game I saw him play in.

19. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

iWR is the only strength we have apart from....PRing...haaha...this coles trade talk is making me laugh...more than the vilma trade talk....all these posters seriously need some counselling on this....

20. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

this topic is still in discussion?