Joe Paterno's health takes a turn for the worse

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Yisman, Jan 21, 2012.

1. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Or this.

He's openly admitted he knew.

2. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

anyone pathetic enough to bash joe and talk about what they would have done on an online forum would definitely not have the courage to do more than he did

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Anyone pathetic enough to blindly defend a football coach on the interweb just because he's a successful football coach, purposely ignoring that children were being abused under his nose, has only a tenuous grip on common sense. If any at all.

4. devilonthetownhallroof

Anyone who doesn't know EXACTLY what they would do upon hearing what was happening is a piece of shit. There is no fucking courage involved in calling the police (bare minimum) immediately upon hearing the news.

If this was Joe Paterno, janitor, everyone would have the exact same reaction I am.

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

You clearly just got trolled haha. That's like not knowing Osama Bin Laden is dead.

6. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

He did go to the police as Schultz is in charge of our police. In reality, he was an old man who reported to those above him, had everyone tell him that the situation was resolved and then was done-in by trust and being honest about the incident after the fact. McQueary said he never got detailed with Joe, as far as he knew it was an isolated incident that was resolved until all of a sudden it wasn't. Not saying it was right, I absolutely think he should have done more, but lay off the dude already. He's done more good for this world than we could possibly imagine doing in our lifetimes. And most importantly the current Board of Trustees and the media have thrown him under the bus while men like Tim Curley, Mike McQueary and Gary Schultz walk around with their lives almost entirely intact.

ESPN holds onto Tapes with evidence that Bernie Fine molested ballboys for almost a decade without telling the police (the evidence is no less than the short, undescriptive testimony of a graduate assistant), saying it's not their job to do so as a news organization, and yet I'm sure you and other sports fans bashing Paterno left and right turn on their station every day. It just seems like a double standard to me.

#46 DonnieIsTheKing, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

im not blindly defending joe and especially not because hes a football coach. his life was defined by much more than wins on the field. he could have done much more than he did and he admitted this. im ripping the people that have been on forums pontificating on how they would have handled it behind a computer screen, when in reality most of them are dickless cowards that really dont know what they would have done at all

8. PATS16N0

PATS16N0 Banned

I'm glad he's dead.

9. PATS16N0

PATS16N0 Banned

It doesn't take any courage to call the damn police when you find out a creepy old man is molesting ten year old boys in the shower. It isn't like charging a machine gun nest. ANYONE normal would of done it. So Ole' Joe is just a sick freak, he aided it.

I can't believe people are defending him. If it was your children I bet you would change your tune. I can't imagine any one of you saying "Yeah, he allowed my ten year old son to be raped in a shower but let's not forget all the good things he's done for Penn State!"

Yeah right! What's wrong with you people?

10. Sundayjack

Heh. The moronic things people say in blind defense of Joe Paterno the great football coach.

You're making a comparison between a man and a cable network. A very powerful man, and a television channel. How absurd. Now, if you tell me who at ESPN was responsible for squirreling away the evidence, I'll tell you that he should be prosecuted, convicted, and jailed. Not for as long a stretch at the creep who committed the act, but not a weekend stay either.

Of course you are. And that you would double down on it only makes you doubly stupid.

Here's the great kicker and what makes Joe Paterno particularly contemptible: it wasn't just that he made only a modest attempt to report this - something he admits; he allowed Jerry Sandusky to continue to hang around the football facilities and work out in the gym - as if everything were perfectly normal. It's a world that he controlled top-to-bottom, and Jerry Sandusky may have been jailed years early. Imagine all the great molesting he was able to do for another nine years, and all because of what JoPa DIDN'T do. The man's name will be forever soiled. Rightfully.

I'd also bet anything that Joe knew years early, back when Sandusky originally "retired" to dedicate more time to his molesting organization. But I doubt we'll ever hear that story. Joe was protected through the grand jury process, and he'll be protected until Jerry Sandusky is eventually found hanging by a bed sheet in his cell.

11. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

even the bigggest fucking assclown understands you cant report to the police on hearsay...its that redheaded buffoon that should have made the report

12. Sundayjack

Holy fucking smokes! OF COURSE you can. It's done all the time, every day, in every police department on the planet.

Imagine the absurdity:

Joe Paterno: One of my graduate assistants saw a young boy being molested in the Penn State showers by Jerry Sandusky.

Police: Oh.... umm.... gee... that's terrible if it's true but unfortunately we can't investigate on hearsay. ​

And by the way - McQueary is nearly as culpable. But it was Joe Paterno's world.

13. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

yeah makes sense theres tons of people more guilty but joes the biggest name in the story and makes more headlines so we'll blame hi instead and not dozens of other people that fucked up worse

14. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Joe Paterno reported the behavior to the university president and was only wrong for trusting the chain of command in assuming it would be doing the right thing. I say the media killed him, and I say he should not have gone out in such shame over the actions of an assistant whom he did initially report to both his direct superior (on paper), and that man's direct superior.

That said, it was still his ship, he was still the captain, this is such a horrible thing to have happened, especially to kids..I say with his death should be the programs. Salt the earth.

#54 RevisOfNazareth, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. Sundayjack

Only Jerry Sandusky fucked up worse. And that's why we'll rightfully always remember Joe Paterno as the coach who was fired in disgrace.

16. devilonthetownhallroof

No, he was wrong for not immediately picking up the phone and calling the State College PA police department to report a possible child rape. Since when is it enough to report crimes to the perpetrator's boss? Saying he reported it to the college officials is fucking bullshit to try and cover for someone because he coached football.

17. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Would you want the police called on you over an allegation at work or would you want HR to at least look into the matter first? (I am not saying child rape is something to have HR investigate and be done with it. University Presidents arent HR. This is a bit different.) I bet if JoePa could've gone back knowing what he knew after reporting it and seeing nothing happen he would've called the cops then. But we'll never know.

Look. I am not going to blindly defend the dead great football coach. I remember him as a shamed coach like everyone else. I am saying this, however, to draw a little perspective as to what COULD have gone through the mind of someone so old school. Child rape is so serious an allegation, put yourself in the position to be the one notified, would you not be astounded at the accusation? Every office environment has a chain of command. Even the office manager has a boss he has to report to. It was JoePa's University President who needed to make the decision to call the police or not after JoePa reported it. If you worked in an office and called the police on every criminal activity you thought might be occurring, I assure you that job wouldn't keep you around long.

By this logic anyway, why are we not going after the graduate assistant who first reported anything for not calling the cops himself instead of going to Paterno anyway?

#57 RevisOfNazareth, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  18. devilonthetownhallroof

If I were committing some sort of crime, of COURSE I would rather have someone call my employer than the police.

Astounded or not, I can guarantee you that the first thing I did would be to call the police if someone reported to me that they walked in and saw the guy raping a kid in the shower with their own eyes.

Criminal offenses take precedence over office chain of command. Even if you want to say that Paterno did what he should have and reported it to his boss, he should have followed up on it every day until something was done. And if it was clear that the higher ups weren't doing what they were supposed to, he should have then gone straight to the police himself.

No, but if I basically built the company myself and had as much power as anyone there, I think I would survive going to the police when I heard from someone who witnessed a child rape. It's not exactly the mailroom guy calling the cops for someone parking in a handicapped spot.

He's a piece of shit too. Start a thread about him, and I'll say the same things there as I am here.

19. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

who the shit cares everyones crying about the children who are about to be multi millionaires thanks to punitive damages and other lawsuits. yeah it sucks they took it up the ass from an old man, but theyre gonna get the best therapy and a shit ton of money. im tired of people acting like there is never gonna be any justice

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That would only be true if he witnessed it which he did not. All he had was second hand information and who knew if there was any motivation behind that. He did exactly what he should have done and told his superiors what was reported to him. It was they who let the ball drop and I suspect for the exact same reason. The real question that nobody is asking is why didn't the fuckhead who supposedly saw this report it to the cops? Well?

#60 Don, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012