Joe Namath?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Patriot, May 8, 2020.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I can't believe I am defending Joe Namath on a Jets board. This is very strange.

Yes, Joe has made some mistakes and one could argue should have taken his football career more seriously. Yes, star players do not always make the best coaches but that doesn't mean they still can't coach.

Namath was not a moron when it came to the strategy of the game. His pocket footwork is not by accident, ask Joe Montanna, Dan Marino, or Tom Brady. Yes, he liked to party too much, but to suggest he has no aptitude of the game and can't possibly coach or even mentor a player is outright wrong.

One argument that could be made is he is simply too old, and that would be a good point.

jetstopgun and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Patriot

John Hannah is no dummy, he makes to much money in the financial sector.

As to my grammatical errors typing, I didn't think this was an English class! By the way, you forgot to put a comma after "Also", but don't worry I won't bust your balls about it!

3. Patriot

Ouch! Are you making fun of our departed QB or Joe's need for hydration?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. Patriot

Wow, I hope you are never in a jury. Look Namath was humiliated and the incident was a wake-up call he needed.

Suzy Kolber showed a lot of class by not talking about it for many years as to not embarrass Namath further.

I am glad it happened because it probably saved Joe's life!

Again I can't believe I am defending Joe Namath on a Jets board. Is this a Jets board?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The better argument for great players is why haven't they created a sperm bank for them?

stinkyB likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Never heard of the Kardashians?

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe he just can't impart what he knows. Not everyone can teach, in fact few people can. It takes real skill to explain something that just comes naturally to you.

Maybe he doesn't even understand how his footwork was so good. He might have no idea and he might not be particularly eloquent about it even if he did. He wasn't much good as a commentator, I remember.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Lucky you lol

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Having an aptitude for the game doesn't mean you automatically know how to convey it to players that are 40 years younger and frankly playing a completely different game than he played.

I doubt Joe has any interest in doing it anyway. Why would he? It takes a special type of stamina to be an NFL coach. It's 18 hours a day from August to January. A small break in between and you better have your head in college film by the start of March if you don't make the playoffs.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That doesn't hurt Joe Namath. It only hurts you.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Remember the era that Joe Namath played in. Sports weren't year-round activities then. Players weren't paid as much, and many of them had to work jobs during the offseason. The media covered for their team's players' mistakes. Look at Mickey Mantle. He was probably hampered more by his drinking than he was the osteomyelitis in his knees. I know that he played games hung over (he admitted it), and probably played games drunk.

Both were hampered by bad knees. Sadly, medicine wasn't where it is now back then. If so, both may have taken the game more seriously and drunk less. Their drinking could have been because of physical pain or mental pain knowing that they were limited and they couldn't do what they had done before they were injured.

Some "stars" can coach. Others cannot. There's no hard and fast rule. It depends upon their mental makeup, how self-centered/narcissistic they are, how hard they had to work to become "stars," what else they might want to accomplish in life, what their priorities are (family vs football), and a number of other factors. For some, football is all they know and is an all-consuming passion. For others, they have knowledge and skills in other areas that they can do. They've grown tired of a game that has consumed most of their lives and are ready for something new and different. I know something of what it takes to achieve that level of stardom. There is a lot of personal sacrifice involved. Some eventually get tired of sacrificing their personal lives for their sport or career.

12. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

The greatest hockey player ever was a sub standard coach.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .It's not like he disrespected Myra..

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

dont be a twat......

15. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This is like when people want their favorite baseball player to replace the current manger or hitting coach.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

JWN was blessed with quick feet & a quicker arm that was faster in most case then the DLman trying to sack him :)

17. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Wow Everyone needs a chance at Redemption The man made a mistake cleaned up this act stop drinking so far as we know and apologize to those he offended...... There’s only one person that walk this earth that made no mistakes and we crucified him.....we ALL need a chance to be forgive....As far as Joe coaching he’s way too old for that ....perhaps bring him in during training camp to talk with the young players about things you DONT do much like ex Alcoholics Could be beneficial

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Joe never let Mono or a hangover get in the way of chucking the rock on Sunday.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Taking attention away from the Jets was the ultimate team sacrifice.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Just another
    Just another very, very silly poster who never contributes any thing but silliness to this board :mad: