Joe McKnight Fails Conditioning Test (UPDATED 8/1: He passed it)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Actually, we got a fourth round pick for a player that most likely would've walked after this season.

I guess you didn't hear the news: McKnight is practicing today, so that failed conditioning test doesn't mean shit anymore. Stop trying to use it against him - it shouldn't be a factor anymore.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I will never take you seriously again...

Who are you to say that McKnight won't shine in the pre-season? We're still weeks away from the first game.

Washington has fumbling issues and showed poor receiving skills in the early stages of training camp.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I didn't say that either, you guys have reading issues. I said I hated the moves on draft day and up to now I still do. I also said I hope I'm wrong.

But you won't take me seriously now, guess I should leave the board. :breakdance:

4. IATA

IATA Trolls

Okay, VickBlows.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No reading issues here...

You just said Leon looked great in camp and then brought up a pre-season game. Washington struggled in early practices, yet he had a pretty good performance in his pre-season debut.

There's absolutely no way of telling what McKnight will do in the pre-season, so you can't use that against him.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

But Leon was not ever meant to be a centerpiece. Now, if you gave him 25-30 carries per game, he'd probably be one of the most effective backs in the league and may even be a Pro Bowler. But if you did that, he'd wear down in the 2nd half if he hadn't already gotten hurt.

There are a ton of change-of-pace backs out there who probably can't carry a full load. Look at Jamaal Charles. Look at Jerome Harrison. Look at Jerious Norwood. Look at Darren Sproles. Granted, most of these guys have never gotten full chances to be every-down backs, but it's a pretty safe assumption that they would wear down at the end. Runningback is a grueling position.

And I could see McKnight having similar arguments down the line. If he adds some bulk, maybe he can be an every-down back, but he's more of a change of pace guy himself.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm not using anything against him, just telling you my thoughts on what has happened so far. Any issues Leon may have had early in his rookie camp were negated by his performance that pre-season and ever since. Best case scenario with McKnight is getting back what we gave away, unless you think Leon can't come back from a broken leg, which I will disagree with. So to me we should have just kept Leon, McKnight's own college coach opted for Leon, that gave me a bad feeling too. Does it make me right? I don't know, just telling you my thoughts and why I think so. You don't have to like it, only time will prove me right or wrong.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

+1

...damn good post.

The Jets needed a future change-of-pace back. Tomlinson is one of the best all-purpose backs to ever put on a uniform. If he can coach up Greene and McKnight and help them out in certain areas, we'll be set for quite some time.

I've said this many times, but if McKnight gets his head right, he'll be a special player - he's got elite potential and we picked him in the 4th round. This selection has steal written all over it.

I think he'll contribute right away as a kick returner, but he'll also do some damage with limited touches on offense. I don't expect him to get over 70 total touches, but he should create mismatches out of certain packages.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That means absolutely nothing to me.

Pete Carroll passed on every USC player in the draft except for Anthony McCoy.

(...and McCoy tested positive for marijuana at the combine.)

10. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

So you're telling me that 3 days ago he wasn't in shape but now he is?

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Leon also lead the team in penalty laps because he couldn't hold on to a fucking catch. He dropped punts, kickoffs and catches left and right. You are fucking ridiculous with the blind love for a replaceable scatback.

12. CatoTheElder

I'm willing to tell you that three days ago he:

-could have stumbled off the block
    -could have stumbled during the run
    -could have done any number of things that would have caused him to miss the 70 second mark

Just because he missed his first test doesn't mean he doesn't give a shit. Of course, for a Dolphins troll who loves the Steelers, such as yourself, anything to get a rise out of us Jets fans. Right?

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He was probably just on the fringe of failure and worked his ass off to get over the hump. I'm sure they'll be grinding him in camp.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Exactly. I'm shocked by the poor training facilities some of these guys choose to use. Even if McKnight was on the fringe of poor conditioning, the Jets staff now has a hold of him until at least January.

15. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

Ok with me if you can believe that a guy that has been praised for such incredible talent "stumbled" enough to not pass something that should have been easy for him

16. CatoTheElder

Right now, the crisis mode surrounding McKnight should be over. Anyone willing to continue to complain about it is either:

-SOJF looking for reasons that the team should fail so they can continue on with their petty whining
    or
    -Another troll looking to get a rise.

He passed his conditioning test. He's in camp. He's set to practice. Move the fuck on.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i'm telling you you don't know what the hell is going on.

He's in shape, he just failed to pass the test in the time allotted.

Haynesworth is in shape too, but he came in at 71 seconds in stead of 70.

18. CatoTheElder

So how pissed are you that Jeff Reed isn't in camp yet?

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The fact is no one knows a fucking thing.

Any reaction besides "meh" is overreacting.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Bahaha...

BOOM

Headshot

EDIT: I'm curious what a kicker's conditioning test would look like. "Briskly walk 5 yards. Pause. Glance upward. Leap. Run off field. Repeat 5x in 70 minutes."