Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

They are held accountable but it's hard to compare guys out there running for 45 of 60 minutes every game and a player who can't even get on the field.
    I'm not gonna blame these guys for being exhausted, it's every single game now. They tired.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Can we talk about how bad Perine is? My god, what did our scouts ever see in him? Calling him mediocre would be extremely generous. He has zero explosion, zero vision, zero shiftiness, zero tenacity.

What redeeming qualities did our front office see that compelled them to draft him? Usually mid round RB's have at least one defining, notable trait. Perine has nothing.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Everyone is playing NOT to get hurt. There’s zero effort right now.

Br4d, Jets79, stinkyB and 4 others like this.
  4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

THIS. Can't blame them, this is the environment the JETS fo created by resetting the roster to zero and handing a rookie th KEYS.
    There are vets out there trying to get a couple of more years in the league and just need to survive rn.

ftr, Quennin out ther playin w/his shoulder jakt but lets call him out for not chasing someone w/4.4 speed from behind.
    I tell you ..

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree but at the same time if Douglas looked like a socially awkward office manager, I'll bet you there would be billboards by now.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach should have earned the starting spot in camp like Mac did - even if Belichick knew from day 1 he was starting him and cutting Cam. You still make the rookie earn it (perception wise). Saleh and JD made this huge mistake. They could have easily signed Flacco, and had Wilson and White compete. Call it old school or whatever, but Zach should not have been handed the Franchise so easily.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

His signings have not worked out, its troubling for sure. I am hopeful but we look at times worse than last year on offense and defense

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You saw that, huh?

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As someone who remembers 1992, what did Coslet do to Nagle? Nagle sat on the pine one year (1991), and then started his second year and he sucked . When the jets finally gave up on Nagle after a few of years, he didn't do squat with anyone else either. Not Coslet's fault Nagle was a reach by Steinberg in the second round, and no amount of coaching was gonna make this guy much better. You can't make a nuclear bomb without plutonium.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He tried to come back under a different name. He won't be coming back at all now..

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's possible this is true however the baseline has changed significantly since Idzik came in.

Going into 2013 the Jets were 2 years removed from back to back AFC Championship Game appearances.

Going into 2021 the Jets were 10 years removed from those appearances. Half a generation of Jets fans have grown up with no expectations that the Jets will be good because they're never good.

Odds are very good at this point that the Jets won't be good in the next 5 years, probably approaching 75%. We're a sad sack last place loser at this point and Joe Douglas has no immediate pressure to change that status because it is the status quo.

Cidusii and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

JD gets 2022 for me. If the season is over by week 9 again next year, him and Saleh are on the hot seat.

I'm not JDs biggest fan, but I don't think he's done bad enough to only get two years. The 2020 draft seems pretty bad, but if you can come out of it with a long term LT and a long term CB, I can give him the benefit of the doubt.

2021 seems strong so far. Vera-Tucker, Moore, and the Michael Carters both look like legitimate long term players. We'll see what kind of jumps Echols, Pinnock, Nasirildreen make going into next season.

I do think JD would be smart to take a mid round QB this year. Maybe pick up an extra third after a trade back, and grab someone to compete with Zach.

After seeing how White, Johnson and Flacco have looked in this system, I think its definitely worth throwing some darts at the QB position.

13. tubby

tubby Active Member

Can agree on last years draft. Becton and Hall look like the only players out of it.

Not sure how you can say this years class is "iffy" though. Even if you remove Wilson, you are still getting positive play out of AVT, Moore (who looks like a real stud), both Michael Carters, and you can probably throw Eichols in there as well.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can we have the words “rebuild” automatically turn into all asterisks at the start of free agency next year?

Because I don’t want to hear that fucking word in 2022. It’s 8-9/9-8 time with competitive losses or else we need to clean house again.

Royal Tee and REVISion like this.
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Our drafts have been bad but then they are always bad - in part this feels like it is down to poor talent evaluation, it is also because we are constantly trying to fix our QB position (without doing anything to create an environment in which a QB can succeed - and because we keep firing coaches on a regular basis the philosophy and scheme is also always changing and so the players drafted under one regime don't fit with the next one and so on.

Our free agency signings have also worked out very poorly - that is largely down to injuries (this year at least) but we have still seen an abysmal return on the investment.

The trade of Adams was great but that was more a bad decision by the Seahawks than a great move by the Jets as it was a no-brainer - the decision not to bring in a vet QB before the start of the season is pretty much unforgivable as is the failure to address the TE position

papapump, Centiment and Cman68 like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Trot out the apologists.

JD is the main reason we are 5-24 over the last two seasons. And that's with record setting draft capital and salary cap space. The guy couldn't build a playoff team if his life depended on it.

No more excuses for this crap. We all knew much of his tenure was going to be decided by last draft, and especially Zach Wilson. So far that's a massive bust. People are saying, "oh he got this starter and that starter this draft". In reality he got mostly backups that start because we are crummy.

Zach - when I think of what we lost by taking him. How much better our roster would be this season and next of we traded. It stands to be our most epic draft failure ever.
    AVT is a good guard but he was ridiculously expensive and a poor use of capital. Using picks 14, 66, and 86 to land a starter is no big accomplishment.
    Moore is a good small WR but wasn't a position of need. Still his best pick of any draft.
    Neither of the Carters would be starter on decent teams. They are good depth players - not starters.
    All of the DBs we took are backups, which is understandable considering where they were drafted. But we act like they are starters because were Jets.

Don't even get me started on FA.

JDs team building is a diaper accident. He should be fired before he squanders the capital we have left.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of it but how in the world was receiver not a position of need? It still is dude.

KY Jets Fan, Centiment and Cman68 like this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

it is weird how that works - I saw that Miami was generally praised for getting Jaylen waddle by trading back up to get him but he effectively cost them a small fortune with the #6 overall pick and their first round pick (which is set to be reasonably high) next year - which I felt was very steep and hardly worthy of praise.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we had Crowder that covers that position, we had just signed Davis to a big money contract to be our #1 guy and we had Mims that was expected to be a starter - there were bigger needs than WR at the time

ouchy likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What I like about the Moore pick is that draft will go down as one of the best ever WR drafts and we got a piece of it. And I like his pluck.

But seriously, we had Davis, Cole, Crowder, Mims (at the time seemed fine), and Berrios already. That is a good core - probably the strongest position on our roster. Were going to need receivers next year because JD has basically driven Crowder away and clearly Cole wants out of our shitshow. Mims regressed and his future is fading. But we had so many other holes to fill that were much worse off than WR.

Its not that I dont like Moore. I do. It was just such a luxury pick. And he was going to take him at 23?