Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Last I checked we have Mike White.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We have 2 backups--White and Johnson is a phone call away. What solution do you propose?

3. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I really don’t consider myself to be anti JD. What he did with Adams is commendable. His refusal to overpay Mayes is also a good call.

His control of any injuries is absurd. Lawson #1, was an outstanding signing, who fell to injury. My beef is with his OL choices. With high hopes, and capitol invested in Wilson, keeping him healthy is a big priority.

In regards to JD, he’s only had two years, which basically has become one, with the departure of Gase. Saleh is also brand new to the HC position. I do believe that some growing pains are inevitable, but they must learn that certain adjustments, Mims for example, must be made. Play with the cards you are dealt, not the ones that you wish you had.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Nicely put.

Jets81 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Picking up someone better than those trash bin guys

ouchy likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Those who don't care if we have a qualified backup QB are being illogical. They say if Zach goes down nevermind, the season is over. Did that mean with Zach we were going to the playoffs? What do you mean, "its over"?

They also say they just want to see improvement week to week. But if Zach goes down nevermind, its over. Its like the whole offense is Wilson and without him lets just quit and get another high draft pick. No point developing any other skill positions, or giving a young team a chance to learn how to overcome adversity, and learn how to win games. I don't care what your record is. Its borderline incompetence to not have a qualified backup QB, especially with a rookie starting. And especially with more than enough money to afford one.

IMO the people who say we don't need a qualified backup say that because it was JDs decision - which means it was the best decision.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What/who do you consider a qualified back-up? A young unproven 2-4 year vet or Jag? because we have both backing up Wilson.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  8. K'OB

Or they say it because they think that having a VET come in and push the team (by some miracle) to 6 or 7 wins for instance, would be the biggest team building killer going, pushing us out of the skill draft slots for absolutely nothing.

I do accept and understand your point that there is more than Zach Wilson that needs to develop for the good of this team but again it all starts with the QB and if Wilson goes down for the season it will be a wasted season for sure, as we will be back to square one at the start of next season with essentially a brand new rookie QB and he will still need to develop chemistry with the other rookie skill players who have now just got used to another JAG QB's way of playing.

I don't agree with the learning to win games part, you will win if you deserve to do so, you don't learn that part but that is just my own opinion, now coaches would be a different matter, Bowles needed to learn how to win a game, as he seemed to retreat into his shell if we led at the half and then coached so conservatively to protect the lead, inevitably having the opposite effect and we would then lose.

#108 K'OB, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The thought of overpaying or trading for a veteran backup that could "help" the other skill positions is ludicrous to me. You make sure you have a good backup that can win games if you are a playoff caliber team. The Jets are not that. I think anyone who says we needed a Foles type backup is because that's what JD didn't do and they have a hard on for him. Works both ways ;)

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

qualified backups are for playoff teams. to keep the ship going for a few games and still give a chance at winning. rebuilding teams don't need a guy like that. it isn't worth the money or taking away reps from younger players for us.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So we should sacrifice another season for draft picks? How many tanks do we need before we can have a winning record? No GM should require multiple tanked seasons.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

"Pick up someone better"--who's that?

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its too late now. But the list during FA was long.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Who did we pass on? I want to take your idea and run it through the costs to see if you have a good argument.

ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What are the odds a backup QB is the difference between a bad record and good record? There are two questions - how likely are they to come into play and how big a difference will they make if they do end up seeing action? Pretty small to both I'd say.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not going to list specific players but it needs to be someone with experience who can manage an offense and execute the playbook effectively enough to be competitive, and not limit the playbook. This gives the offense and chance to continue to develop and the team a chance to continue to be competitive and to grow.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

OK--but we have to recognize that as of right now, we have 3.4mm in cap space given everything else. So if we took say a Flacco, he'd cost about 1mm more than White reducing our current cap to 2.4mm.

We all know Flacco is on his last legs and White has some probability of longevity and upside so we'd be giving up a possible multi-year backup for 1 year of Flacco with this current roster. Obviously we gain nothing here so Flacco is a no-go.

Some people talked about Foles--we would have to have given up a draft pick and we couldn't sustain him on our current cap without getting rid of someone else. That wouldn't be worth it for this year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

here are the top free agent QBS

All these below stayed with their team or went to a new team for good money to start
    fitzpatrick
    dalton
    taylor
    winston

here are the ones that signed as backups
    flacco - we had him and he was awful
    brissett - has a better chance to play in miami, career backup, wasn't good as a starter.
    trubisky - him you could make a case for. only got 2.5mil but seemed like he wanted to be on a team with a chance to win. went to buffalo

nobody else was worth a damn out there so who was he gonna sign?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Trubisky was a decent option in retrospect--if we knew Morgan was getting the axe. He's only on a 1-year with Buffalo so maybe he's in play next year.

20. K'OB

Hypothetically, the answer would be a yes from me.

I am not interested in winning 6, 7 or even 8 games a season, all that leads to is what we have had for years since the last playoff appearance, which is a whole pile of nothing.

I wouldn't mind winning 8 games if the rebuild is well and truly in place and a chance of true progression was on the cards, ie win 8, win 10 = a playoff appearance, win 12 and then SuperBowl lol

To win 6, 7 or 8 games with a JAG QB while our future FQB is injured and the squad still having many holes to fill doesn't really help us in the long term, again this is just my opinion.

Having your future FQB go down injured isn't tanking either btw.

If we could have just tanked properly we would be through the other side now but we coudn't even do that right.

#120 K'OB, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.