Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO its too early to really decide on JD but I have a few disagreements with your evaluation.

1) He fixed the cap situation, besides Mosely we don't really have older players taking up big cap space.
    He did this by trading away our veteran players. He has also been cheap with the remaining vets which will drive them away at seasons end. And for the 2nd season we leave a huge chunk of unspent cap space going into the year.

2) INCREDIBLE value on trades, got rid of a problematic player for a ransom and a QB that was an underacheiver and showed more of the same in that Carolina game if you ask me.
    JDs trading has been his best asset. No argument here.

3) Brought in a very qualified coaching staff with Saleh and company
    We hope. We don't know that. Hiring a first time HC, former defensive coordinator, has been done 5 times in the last 20 years.

6) Brought in a QB that most are saying might have the best ceiling in this past draft
    It wasn't that hard when we had the second pick. He did a terrible job disguising our intentions during draft season allowing a division rival to secure better trades. The truth is we weren't ready for an expensive QB, and if this was the right move or not, remains to be seen.

7) Shown willingness to invest in our Oline (AVT, Becton, Clark, Fant) attempted for Thuney--even though some of them look questionable the effort and value were there on the draft board
    He has drafted two linemen in two years and the list of FA linemen he signed is alarming. IMO Moses is the only good FA he has signed. Any qualified GM knows when rebuilding the OL should be the FIRST priority.

8) More depth at WR, we're actually arguing about it now (good thing)
    This is true.

9) Excellent feel for navigating the draft board and facilitating trades
    He has done terrible at this. Trading down on Claypool to take Mims. Giving up 3 top picks for a non blue chip guard when we should have taken a tackle and 2 guards, which was lined up perfectly for us. Suggesting he would have taken Moore at 23 when we got him at 34, and would have taken Carter at 66 when we got him at 104. That called getting lucky after a bad feel for the draft board. Not excellent navigation. Not sure where the good navigation has been?

10) Landed some good value free agents and doesn't overpay
    After 2 years and 170 million to spend on free agents we got who again? He has not been that good at free agency.

I'm not saying he is bad or a failure. But he has made many more mistakes so far than some people want to admit. We'll know more in the second half of the season about what JD is cooking.

#81 ouchy, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    mrmajix, IDFjet, Bellys Lies and 2 others like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Again why would a new coach with a system have to mould his system to a player that was once good but is no way certain to still retain this talent after two years of inactivity?

Though, as you say, it is commendable that he lost the weight to try and fit this scheme.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know there were reports that Joe was trying to trade CJ during the off season. Obviously it did not pan out and Jets have to live with another bad Macagnan contract.

Saleh only has one or two options, either use him in a way that is going to limit his limitations or don’t use him at all, if he chooses not to use him then who do you play in his spot?

CJ is not a complete scrub and is the best LB they have right now. I can empathize with your opinion, but Saleh is handicapped here.

What would you like to see happen with CJ?

K'OB likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He might well still be a good player and it would be best for us if he does retain that ability tbh as it 1 gives us a better player and 2 a chance we can mug his contract off on somebody next season lol

I am steeling myself for a disappointing season but I did see signs that Wilson looked good even with that shit OL performance, Sam would have wilted like last weeks lettuce under that pressure.

So there is still some hope, maybe another top 5 pick and all the other good picks we have can be the turning point, I like JD but he certainly needs to draft better, his trading is first class, drafting not so much so far.

CotcheryFan and Red Menace like this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Your spot on with this, the only thing I will say in JD defense is he had to select players for two different schemes in two drafts.

This will definitely make it more difficult for players who may not be a good fit with new scheme and GM has limited draft picks to address picks for new scheme.

That being said, this years draft picks should grow and develop faster since they were drafted with new scheme in mind.

K'OB likes this.
  6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

here is my biggest problem, he has no backup qb. none. its worse than its ever been if the top guy goes down. you cant act like that in the nfl. the guys are too big and fast.

i am beyond not sold on him, it scares the shit out of me that he has a 6 year deal and seems to be taking his sweet time building a winner. which is great, but if he doesnt build a winner then it will be 6 years until we start over. he needs to up the expectations dramatically next year. this year they basically said ahhh we dont give a shit, were building for the future, we have a plan.

BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I actually don't think having a good backup QB is all that important. If your starting QB goes down your season is over the vast majority of the time, QB is just too important and there are too few good ones.

I would put it this way - only about 30-40% of teams even have starting QB's that are good enough to where they have a real chance at competing for a Super Bowl. To expect to consistently roster a backup that's affordable and gives you that chance is unrealistic. It's also pretty unlikely you'll lose your starter for significant time anyway.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Where's the unlike button.

We need a good backup for what? To help save our playoff aspirations if Zach goes down. Come on. If he goes down we get a great draft pick, which is what we need.....not some guy to lead us to a middle of the pack record and a mediocre draft pick. Now if we were a playoff caliber team I'd completely agree with the need for a competent backup. Are we a playoff caliber team?

Noam, REVISion and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's a rebuild.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We have other people to develop besides Zach. If we end up in another Luke Falk situation people like Mims, Moore, and Carter will have their development stunted. Plus, with a young team its important to learn how to win. Even if they are meaningless games.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. bicketybam

I completely disagree.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think Joe did more good than bad.

I am still behind him 100% and I believe when it is all said and done we will remember him fondly. The OL performance was terrible but Joe D did everything right on paper in terms of executing a plan. The players he picked in FA didn't pan out and his prized LT is a fatboi. But I believe he will learn from his mistakes and right the ship.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Can we at least see one project through for once......

14. bicketybam

No! Instant gratification is the new norm!

stinkyB and Noam like this.
  15. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

You can call it rebuild, retool, or whatever you like. The fact that we did sign a few older OL wouldn’t qualify, in my opinion, as a complete rebuild.

The Jets have done this in the 90’s as well as the 2000’s. JD being the OL guru has not done well in that respect. With a big time pick at #2, we really need to protect his ass. Hopefully he doesn’t develop happy feet because of it.

ouchy likes this.
  16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

We are 2 yrs into a rebuild, it seems that our new coaching staff does not view JDs first draft class as building blocks. Mims and Becton looked better under Adam Gase (I can not believe I am saying that). You would think as a GM you would find a staff that would embrace your assets None of our free-agent signings can be considered building blocks except for maybe C. Davis but we had close to 100 million to spend. Any one of us could find a Gem if we were given 100 million to spend The question I have is what is JDs great vision? It is brought up here all of the time but no one knows what it is and the results are we will probably have another top 5 pick , three yrs into Jds tenure. With JD having one of, if not the worst record of any GM in Jets history. at the end of this season.
    As a Jets fan do you trust this man to be in charge of one of the most important offseasons in our history? If he is average again this off-season we are screwed.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a huge difference between building a team and assembling a roster.

Aside from a couple of seasons, 2009-10, the jets have not built a team since Bill Parcells left town.

The only reason they built a team in 2009 was Rex brought a bunch of his guys over with him from Baltimore.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t classify signing some journeyman OL as a rebuild either, but most of the 2019 starters on both sides of the ball are gone. I would definitely call that (along with hiring a new coaching staff) a rebuild. And it’s an actual rebuild, not the typical “I’m Jets GM so I don’t understand the draft and need to spend all this money signing mediocre free agents to build mediocre teams with 1-2 season windows to maybe make the playoffs so I don’t lose my job” rebuild.

Detractors say he’s had 3 seasons (even though he signed with the Jets in July ‘19) and was GM for the worst Jets team of all time. And he was GM for that awful season, but the guy was actually showing that he has balls of steel that year. Instead of over paying free agents in an attempt to put lipstick on a pig, the guy dismantled that abomination of a roster right in front of the coach who’s coup created the GM vacancy that he now occupies. In doing so he secured a 2nd round pick that allowed him to start the rebuilding process with a new QB and coaching staff of his choosing. When you combine that with the length of the contract he negotiated it’s not far fetched to conclude that he built in the tear down years to give himself the time he needs to do it right.

Now we just need those pesky draft picks and free agents to stay healthy and contribute.

ColoradoContrails, K'OB and Jets79 like this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

That’s not even close to true. He’s really expanded his route tree. He was used as a short yardage guy last year, didn’t run many go routes at all lol

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good points. If Wilson gets hurt there's no reason to watch anymore.

I cannot believe people saying there is no need for a backup. How can you know so little about football. Every season we watch teams having to go to their backup QB. Its been almost 10 years since our own Jets had a season where they didnt need to have a backup play valuable minutes

alleycat9 likes this.