Joe Douglas: Year End Grade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

9.4%
  2. B+ to B-

43.8%
  3. C+ to C-

23.4%
  4. D

17.2%
  5. F

6.3%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Roster management is a big issue for him and you've summarized it well. I'm sure scouts or the coaching staff are falling in love with certain talents, like the hybrid safety/linebacker types, but a general manager has to be able to see the big picture above that and recognize the season is a marathon and at certain positions you need bodies to get through that

Since1969 likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

For me, it’s hard to think it’s any better than a C…I get we had a terrible team, but turnarounds don’t need to take 5 years anymore….the Bengals hired their HC Zac whatever his last name is and he won their division in year 3. And the AFC North is not an easy division.

This is JDs second year at the helm if you go by drafts and it sure doesn’t seem like we are any closer to winning our division next year. I get that this was Salehs first year, but we’ve gotten one player out of that 2020 draft…Hall. I don’t know what to expect out of Becton….he’s missed a lot of time in two years….this year was a freak thing with the roll up on the knee, but most players would not have missed all season on that. So he’s kind of a question mark. The rest of that draft class blows chunks and outside of the punter, I’m not even sure any of them should make the team next year.

I’m not yet sold on Wilson…he showed flashes here and there, and there are plenty of reasons why his stats were so terrible, but some of those reasons are his own fault…throwing into the dirt or over a receivers head. It’s not ALL the lack of talent around him. I hope he improves and becomes the guy, but that’s not a lock at this point. I get stats without context don’t tell the story, especially for him this year, but over time they kind of do…so we need to see improvement next year.

I’m not saying JD needs to go by any means…I would not be in favor of that at all, because I do think he’s done plenty of good things. Trades have been good. It feels like he does have a strategy. But whiffing on that first draft hurts a ton.

it feels like we’ve drafted and invested free agents in the OL now for 2 drafts and 3 free agency periods, and our OL is still in the bottom half of the league. We STILL need more investment in it. Our defense is trash…our receiver group still needs upgrading…and plenty of guys who we’ll need to count on are injury concerns…Carter and Moore were very good but both missed a bunch of games. Becton we covered. Lawson may never be the same after tearing an Achilles so that’s a huge question mark.

it just feels like we still have holes all over the place…if our guys can stay healthy and develop I think we have some hope but that’s still a question mark…

REVISion likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Eh, not so sure. Ross is pretty fucking clueless. How do you fire Flores and not Grier? And from everything I've read, Ross and Grier were the ones that wanted Tua over Herbert. TUA OVER HERBERT!

It's awful that we drafted Jamal Adams over Mahomes and Rub and Tug, but at least we didn't pick another QB over those guys. Fucking Ross/Grier decided to take Tua over Herbert while Flores desperately wanted Herbert. Can you imagine the reaction here if that had been the Jets????

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He hasn't failed on anything yet. One only fails when one quits trying or is fired.

A "ton of premium resources" into the OL. ROFLMAO Whatever. I hardly call two 1st round picks, a moderate contract for McGovern and stop gap signings of Feeney, McGovern, Fant, Moses, and a 4th round pick of Clark as a "ton of premium resources."

Nothing JD has done is "killing us." The hyperbole is absurd. What a bad take.

5. NCJetsfan

Looking through just the first page of this thread, it's is exactly what I thought it would be...a bunch of crap.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Becton is trending to be a bust. Mims is a bust.

AVT, while a good player, was a suboptimal acquisition by Douglas. GVR's poor play earlier this season led to a ton of punishment inflicted on Wilson and him immediately developing bad habits like not setting his feet. There is no question we'd have been better off keeping the third round picks and replacing GVR with them given what a massive % of our OL troubles he was responsible for and the impact it had on Wilson.

And yes, when you sink 2/3 early first round picks into OL that counts as a ton of premium resources considering it's 66% of the total first round picks you've used during your tenure. Feeney sucks and GVR sucks. They were both complete wastes of money.

It's not hyperbole to say his moves have been killing us given that we've won 6 games in his entire tenure. Maybe you should reconsider how rosy your outlook is if you think it's hyperbole to say a team that wins 6 games over 2 years is bad.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. bicketybam

No question in YOUR mind. But if you read the forum and value other people's opinions then there is most certainly a question as to if we would have been better off not trading for AVT. A question. Not saying it was right of wrong but it's still up for debate.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the play of the OL this year vindicated my take on AVT.

At one point this year GVR was legitimately responsible for 48% of our total pressures allowed. It doesn't matter how good the LG is when the RG is getting blown up every play. LDT's been a lot better but he's far from a long term solution given his age.

We shouldn't even have to consider OL early in the draft this year but we do because JD opted to fill 1 hole instead of 2-3 on a line with many holes. Then there's Becton who is trending in the bust direction and would result in another hole. That's another JD guy, and this thread is for discussing how JD's done.

9. NCJetsfan

Obviously, you have a much more critical and negative perspective than I do. Becton is not trending to be a bust. That's absurd! Mims may be a bust for this offense, but that doesn't mean he's a bust, period. You are waaaaaaaaaaay too quick to bandy that word about imo.

It's TOTAL hyperbole and a ridiculously awful take. With that take you are blaming JD for the horrific shape of the roster over the last 10 years, and your expectations are totally unrealistic, especially when he had no control over the HC and CS that was here before him and last year, and for all intents and purposes, this is the first year of the rebuild.

Totally ridiculous take.

10. bicketybam

The key word is "think" in your very first sentence. I respect your opinion but it's not the only one.

REVISion likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hmmm. It wasn't very long ago that Steve Ross fired Adam Gase who was immediately hired by the Johnson family. I don't agree that Ross is a worse owner than the Jersey boys.

ouchy likes this.
  12. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This is pretty hard to give a grade on? You really need to wait for the finished product? What I would say is I love the additions he's making but unfortunately many are turning out to be injury liabilities? I'm not sure what it is specifically but his 2020 draft and MOST of his FA additions are often injured. I guess I would say moving forward he needs to focus on selecting players that are more durable. I'd give him a C- if I was forced to grade him. I do love the players like Zach and I have cautious optimism Zach is our franchise....