Joe Douglas: Year End Grade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

9.4%
  2. B+ to B-

43.8%
  3. C+ to C-

23.4%
  4. D

17.2%
  5. F

6.3%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

D and Zach's improvement over the second half is the only reason it isn't an F.

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I gave him a C. I love his ability to trade pieces and get a very good return. So far, that seems to be his strength. First draft is panning out to be a complete disaster - save for Hall and maybe Becton, maybe. Second draft is promising at this very early stage. Hard to believe the same guy made the '20 draft and the '21 one. Let's just hope this isn't a bad-good pattern with '22 being another bad one.

We'll see how he handles the Berrios signing and eventually the Q Williams contract.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't blame Douglas for the record this season. It's the GM's job to get the talent, which I believe he has done. It's the coach's job to get the talent to play at a high level. I wish he'd done a few things differently, but overall a decent job. Therefore, he gets a B- from me.

4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

For 2021, I think Douglas gets a B-/B. Is it too late to retroactively lower his 2020 grade?

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

1st year ? It's his 3rd !!! 2nd complete.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Typo! Correcting now

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Joe Douglas Jets are 6-27 in the 33 games where he has had full control and full responsibility.

The only worse 2 year stretch in Jets history was when a guy named Rich Kotite ran the show.

Those are the facts.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

D

The roster is terrible.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's pretty hard to judge both his drafting and trading as great when nothing on the field reflects that. How long is it that we must wait to see the results of his "great" work?

In April we were told that the Jets HAD turned the corner because Douglas had everything under control as far as the draft, trading and the greatest new coaching staff ever installed. Now all those things that were looked at as assets are the reasons for the Jets being so lousy. All you're doing is kicking the can down the road. 31 months and counting.

SOJAZ and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

D

Didn’t expect a winner this season but expected too see some positives. Saw 1, the last draft class.

Didn’t expect Wilson to set the league on fire but expected to see more positives. Saw 1, reduced interceptions.

I did expect the OL be borderline good this season.

JD can make some quality trades where acquiring draft picks are concerned but that does not a GM make. He needs to get way better with acquiring personnel from coach down to kicker. Otherwise we should retain him as “trade for draft picks guy”.

I really, really hope the guy figures it out. Seems that people all around league had nothing but good things to say about him during the hiring process. If he fails then the Jets become the “career suicide” franchise. There will always be the allure of being the guy to bring a championship to the Jets but plenty of quality talent won’t even talk to the team if we charge into the middle of the 20’s without a playoff appearance since 10’.

#30 Jets81, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Ralebird likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

C = average Joe

A good last draft with Moore, Carter's going to be decent to AP but it really does boil down to Wilson at the end of the day.

His trades have been good, his acquisition from the Seahawks and Panthers have the chance to set this franchise down the road to success.

Will he take it and build the roster we have all been waiting for?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Brutal

And outscored 151-46 against the two teams that played for the division title this year. (Bills & Patriots). Average score in those losses: 38-12.

not even close to competing

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The OL is by far the biggest indictment. Had we taken Wirfs instead of Becton and not traded up for AVT we'd probably have a significantly better OL than we do now. Combine that with JD showing no urgency in FA to fix the line and that's how we end up still having a questionable line going into JD's third full year.

Had JD done the right things the last two years we wouldn't even have to consider taking an OL early in this draft. We could focus solely on WR, S, LB and TE. These missteps that seem relatively minor in the moment have bad domino effects.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Does anyone think, "the Jags tripled their win total, they had a good year"?

Me either.

REVISion likes this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

D.

The WR class he gave Wilson was garbage.
    He refuses to invest in a kicker -- the highest point scorer on a football team.
    The offensive line for 50% of the season was poor.
    Becton looking like a bad pick.
    No investment in a TE

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bingo.... now make whatever excuses you want and state it as fact, but the real fact is his record which is abysmal. In my mind, he had a nice honeymoon, but it's time to field a competitive team that can stay healthy. ITs Time to put a winning mandate out publicly and state what "indentity" this team is... because right now it has none.

Br4d and ouchy like this.
  17. K'OB

They get the #1 pick again and no doubt a better HC will be coming in, not sure what to make of generational QB TL though, it is still a watching brief for all of this years QB's tbh

18. K'OB

How many games do you expect a team in rebuild mode to win?

How many games do you expect a team run by Adam Gase to win?

Are these excuses? Seem valid ones to me.

Of course, I'd have liked to have seen more improvement than what we have done this season but last years draft looks like it could be a solid one, let's see what 22's brings moving forward

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I was one of the few that gave him an A. I have some good reasoning

Draft A+
    this is the biggest factor. Wilson started looking the part after coming back form injury. I think he found us our QB for the next decade. hopefully i'm right
    elijah moore looked amazing and could be a WR1 in this league but worse case a WR2
    AVT was above average all year as an OG. could be a pro bowler in years to come
    micheal carter was a top RB in the league in forcing missed tackles and yards after contact. he's a true RB1 we just need to find a RB2 to pair with him
    carter II was a solid nickel for us all year and should win that job again
    echols was up and down but showed some promise toward the end of the year. worse case he's worth a roster spot best case he's a CB2
    UDFA yeboah had some nice catches and huff was a good situational pass rusher

Overall he got a ton of core players for us in 1 draft

Trades A+
    traded nothing to get LDT who was a solid RG and an upgrade over GVR. impressive for a midseason trade
    traded to get shaq lawson who was ok and badly needed and didn't give up much

FAs D
    this was kinda a bust area sadly. lawson got hurt, joyner got hurt, davis sucked, curry went on non football IR. davis missed a lot of games and had drop issues.
    we did get some good value out of kroft, feeny, and coleman though

Extensions B
    JFM - got good value for a solid player. he's not a world beater gave him a fair extension as we build up the d-line. probably would have cost more in the open market.

coaching staff
    I really like the saleh hiring. I think he was a great choice. he also gave saleh full control over his staff. MLF was awesome. the jury is still out on ulbrich but the last 2 games the D played well for the rag tag bunch we had on the field.

We also have 4 picks in the top 38 now including 2 in the top 10 and we have top 5 in cap room to spend on FAs.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets having injury problems this year really showcased how bad the overall roster is. Our injuries may have been a bit worse than most teams, but a lot of teams lose 3, 4, 5 starters for long periods of time and can muster up better performances in some of these games than we did.

Douglas has done a pretty bad job. He should likely be fired if we don’t hit 8 wins next year. I’m also quite unsure as to why we don’t try to draft offensive lineman later in the draft and instead opt to take a million 210 pound safeties to try to make into linebackers.

The Packers are starting former 4th and 6th round picks at the guard spots. Rams 4th and 5th rounders at guard and center. The Chiefs found Trey Smith in the 6th.

It’s a position group that has the most players on the field at all times and we need to create a pipeline rather than fucking around with Chuma Edoga and McDermott. There is going to be injuries when you have the most on the field as well.