Joe Douglas screwed up by trading up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Apr 30, 2021.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the Jets have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds in 2022. They can fill a bunch of holes in that draft.

#141 dmw, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    jilozzo and GasedAndConfused like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

CB, Edge, LB, TE.

major33 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

wont need a TE Kenny gonna step up that way we can go CB, Edge, LB and OL/WR maybe

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

depends. we drafted a few safeties this year that are gonna move to LBer but I do think LBer will be a need. for CB we have a group of like 9 guys battling for spots. Safety should be a need but seems we are keeping maye and hopefully davis steps up. if so depth is more a need. plus we have like 2 new young safeties now. TE depends on herndon a lot but could be a large need. if herndon balls out though it won't be. I think right now probably CB and LBer are the biggest ones but maybe some of these late guys will surprise us. in 2010-2011 the seahawks drafted sherman, maxwell, and chancelor all with 5th and 6th rounders and them combined with 1st round earl thomas in 2011 became the legion of boom

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I got my new computer, not all of the links I saved came over to the new one, and this one was lost, so thank you for re-posting it. It's not only a sound rebuttal to anyone against trading up, but even more appropriate for those always wanting to trade back. Both approaches make sense at times, but have to be viewed in their specific context, not just adopted a a general operating principle which some posters here seem to have.

IMO Joe Douglas has the correct "operating principle": trade up when there's a guy that would fit your blueprint well and the price is right; trade back when you believe you can get your guy - or an equivalent guy - later and you want to gain assets. I said before this draft that what Douglas did would decide for me if he's the real answer as GM, and he emphatically answered any doubts I might've had. Even the last 6 picks which weren't as franchise-altering as the first four, showed me that he has a clear vision of what he's looking for, and eye for talent and character. Not all 6 of these guys will likely become long term fixtures, but 3-4 might well and that's what teams who have consistent winning records do.

Honestly, if I were the OP, I'd be embarrassed for creating this thread, but it's good to see so many Jets fans being excited for our team even though "Douglas screwed up".

Borat, KingRoach, major33 and 4 others like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

I will say 1 thing i liked about JD a lot is our last few GMs seemed to go into the draft to wing it. take the best player when you pick. don't move around much. let the draft come to you
    JD went in with a clear plan of guys he targeted and found ways to get them. sure some were luck like moore and carter falling and some were pre-planned like staying pat for wilson or moving up for AVT. then in the back end use all the late picks on defensive players who fit the system that can be coached up and let saleh work his magic

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Spot on. This was the first draft in a while where I never found myself staring at the TV going "wtf..."

Borat, Red Menace, major33 and 2 others like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

I mean the jets did that exact thing....

when they drafted michael carter RB and ESPN showed michael carter DB highlights

50ShadesOfGreen and REVISion like this.
  9. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

True. And that's a good thing because it would be very boring if all we did was agree with each other about everything. I like you because of your passion, so even when we're bickering it's still fun since I know you're not just throwing out nonsense to troll people.

That's why I always say not to get yourself so worked up when you read someone's opinion that may seem ridiculous. Even I admit I make ridiculous trade proposals, but then you pause and think about it and realize, yeah, what I was thinking. We all do it. Some fans are just a bit impatient and need to win right this second while others are a bit more patient and like to see things done methodically. I fall somewhere in between, but closer to the patient side. I can wait to add defense next season because I like what we did on offense.

Ok now let's get back to killing each other and having some fun, although I don't really know what we can fight over. LOL We both like the team & the direction we're heading in. Maybe on defense we can bicker since we still have holes there. ;)

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We gotta meet sometime and throw back a few brews.

major33 likes this.
  11. major33

I know I'm very excited about that combination just like you. Moore is small but he's tough and goes over the middle. Perfect player for Zach. Plus we have Mimms on the outside & Davis too running all over the field. That's going to be tough to defend. Oh and our new RB. What a great pick that was. I wanted him. It's amazing out of all the offensive players JD drafted, I had my eye on all of them, but you never think you're actually going to get the players you like later on.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I saw someone say Minn drafted their future pro bowl QB with one of our picks. People love to bitch about everything.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We finally have a GM who gets what we want. So refreshing.

14. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

well-said Ozymandias....I have faith in JD ESP after this draft!!

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL I KNOW this had to be a hard article for Cimini to write. It shows that the OP of this thread is dead wrong and clueless about JD and the draft.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...-score-rare-nfl-draft-trifecta-with-top-picks

Scouting service: New York Jets score rare NFL draft trifecta with top picks
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- At various points during the 2021 NFL draft, New York Jets officials were seen hugging and high-fiving on video released by the team. They weren't the only ones excited.

Often questioned on their draft-day decisions, the Jets received high marks from draft experts on their three-day performance. It was one of the best in recent memory, according to Scouts Inc., which evaluates drafts prospects for ESPN.com.

The Jets drafted three players with a grade of 90 or above, something that had not been done since the 2008 Miami Dolphins. Scouts, Inc. has been grading players since 2004. The only other time a team pulled a 90-hat trick was the 2005 Dolphins.

In this year's draft, only 16 players received a 90 grade. The Jets selected BYU quarterback Zach Wilson (93) with the No. 2 overall pick, USC guard Alijah Vera-Tucker (91) at No. 14 after trading up and Ole Miss wide receiver Elijah Moore (90) with the 34th pick.

Three out of 16 -- not bad. On the Jets' draft board, the trio was ranked in the top 25, according to general manager Joe Douglas.

"We're excited about the competition we're going to create, we're excited about the depth that we added, so I do feel like we improved ourselves throughout this offseason and the offseason isn't over until training camp starts," Douglas said. "There's more opportunities to improve this team, improve this roster. We're going to take it."

That the Jets had three picks in the top 34 certainly improved their chances of landing highly-graded players. They can thank Jamal Adams for that. If the star safety hadn't complained last offseason, forcing his way out of town, the Jets wouldn't have dealt him to the Seattle Seahawks for a package that included first- and third-round picks in 2021 and a first-round pick in 2022.

Douglas took the 2021 picks (23, 66 and 86) and used them to trade up nine spots to grab Vera-Tucker. It was costly -- they missed out on a potential starting cornerback in Round 3 -- but the Jets considered Vera-Tucker a top-10 talent, a future star.

Time will tell, but none of that happens without the Adams trade. That extra draft capital put Douglas in an aggressive mood, and he didn't want to sit on his hands and watch a highly-ranked player land with another team. A source with a team picking ahead of the Jets' original position (23) said his team would have taken Vera-Tucker.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. gave the Jets an A- in his post-draft grades, noting that he, too, had Wilson, Vera-Tucker and Moore ranked in his top 16.

"That's tremendous and is part of the reason this grade is so high, though they did have to surrender a third-round pick in the Round 1 trade up to get Vera-Tucker," Kiper said. "Wilson already has better weapons to throw to and a better offensive line than [Sam] Darnold ever had in New York."

For a change, the Jets, with a GM and a coach working in lockstep, seem to be heading in the right direction. The disclaimer is that high draft grades guarantee nothing. For proof, look no further than those Miami teams.

Of those six highly-graded players in 2005 and 2008, only two made the Pro Bowl -- left tackle Jake Long (four times) and running back Ronnie Brown (once). The others were disappointments -- defensive end Phillip Merling, quarterback Chad Henne, defensive end Matt Roth and linebacker Channing Crowder. Miami made the playoffs in 2008, their only postseason appearance from 2005 to 2015.

Post-draft kudos are nice, but you don't make the playoffs in April. In the Jets' case, though, it feels like a turning point.

The bolding is mine. Sounds like JD plans on signing another FA or two or trading for a player or two.

16. major33

Thanks for posting this. Really good stuff and it shows what a great draft JD had. Obviously, nothing is a given, but if you just rate the draft, he hit a home run. Plus you know he's going to be all over the salary cap casualties which will give us more talent or at least some good depth heading into this season. There really is no pressure this season since Zach will be a rookie and we're working within a new system on both sides of the ball. It should be a lot of fun with these exciting new players and also how our new coaching staff calls plays. Of course we want to win games, but getting better should be the top priority. As long as the team and front office show the fans we are heading in the right direction during the season, I believe the optimism next offseason will be off the charts. So excited for this team, something we haven't really felt in a long time. Hopefully, those that don't see it building now will eventually come around.

17. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I think it would be quite poetic if BOTH Wilson and Fields develop into HOF Elite QBs, and led by each man, the Bears and Jets battle in the Super Bowl numerous times over the course of the next decade. :) All while Mac Jones SUCKS IT UP Big-Time in New England while the Patsies fade away into Bolivian (copyright: Mike Tyson). :);)

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Definitely I am rooting for Mac Jones to fail since he is in NE, and for Wilson to be a HOFer, but I will be honest: just don't care much for Fields or Lance. If they develop into HOFers, good for them as long as they are in NFC, but I am certainly not rooting for them to do so. They are on other teams, and sure they seem nice enough guys, just like most others, but this is a competition.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes and hopefully 3 of those 4 picks will be used on D. If the offense shows signs this coming year and the younger players from last year and this year play like they belong, it would give the jets max flexibility to go heavy on the D next year.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no the football gods just will not have that.