Joe Douglas Conference Call Notes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 1, 2020.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

There’s so many good WRs in this draft that I would almost prefer an OT at 11 if we were guaranteed to go WR in the 2nd and/or 3rd

I would rank them Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs but wouldn’t be upset with any

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What they run at the combine is useless information. When are people going to learn this?

speed is Jeudy’s weakness. Maybe his only weakness honestly. He is very polished for a rookie prospect

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would not draft Ruggs at 11 to play the Hill role of bubble screens. If I’m drafting a player at 11 he needs to be a difference maker, not a gimmick player.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Ruggs is the definition of a difference maker. He's a guy the defense has to gameplan. Any time he touches the ball he can go the distance, doesn't matter where he is on the field. He also takes pressure off of every other player on offense because he is that damn fast and can cause just the slightest hesitation from the defense. The only problem I see with taking Ruggs is if Gase can actually use him correctly...

fdcnyc likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .I like all three but would pick Jeudy first. . However some of the crap posted about "one trick pony" Ruggs III here is like really, really wrong.

Jets69, BrowningNagle and dawinner127 like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a little more refined than that and he is a difference maker, but if you ask him to go up against a Byron Jones / Gilmore / White and win against press coverage, you probably won't see it happen especially with this offensive line. I wouldn't take him at 11, I would take Jeudy or Lamb first easily. I prefer Jeudy for this ability gain separation with his route running. Lamb has better hands though, probably plays better to Darnold's strengths.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's absurd. I've seen Jeudy play numerous times and see clips of him. Speed is not a weakness with Jeudy.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Lamb and Jeudy have very few weaknesses. That’s why I’m perfectly fine with either although I prefer Lamb.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. King Koopa

Just for NFL comparisons/ Playing Style I’ve seen the following:

Jeudy: Beckham, Chad Johnson/Ochocinco, I think Amari Cooper is a decent comp...Think quick, sudden acceleration with crazy good route running

Ruggs: Ive seen Tyreek Hill, Desean Jackson, Santana Moss, Ted Ginn Jr...Pretty obvious here, smaller and dangerous deep threat

Lamb: Hopkins and Torrey Holt...I like the Hopkins comp a lot. Great hands and good size, just a natural athlete

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

So he signed these guys as what camp fodder and we still need to address OL? I'm saying he needs to be able to get into the endzone. He can find OL later in the draft or after training camp. But right now they have no talent at receiver for Darnold and I'm pretty sure Douglas knows that with him letting Anderson go and acknowledging that Enunwa is done.

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

D Jax, Moss, and Ginn aren’t good comparisons IMO. Those guys are more straight line fast. Ruggs is way more than just a vertical go route WR. The dude can stop on a dime and shift direction while maintaining his elite speed/quickness way better than those three you mentioned.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Someone mentioned Steve Smith, but I would say Smith was a far more physical receiver then Ruggs ... perhaps a mold of D Jax and Steve Smith (poor mans)

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  13. King Koopa

I agree that his comparisons aren’t as good as the other ones just what I’ve seen from analysts...I just think Tyreek is even quicker than him though but Ruggs is a little bigger but that’s probably the best comparison

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Ruggs is a combo of Hill and Beckham IMO. He's a lot closer to Jeudy and Lamb than most are giving credit for.

Edit: As in style of player.

boozer32 and dawinner127 like this.
  15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i do not watch college football and even if i did I would suck at predicting who will have success at nfl level

I will say that there have been a lot of fast guys who have not been successful, Can go back to Raghib Ismail, darrius heyward-bey, John Ross

speed is very tantalizing. Personally i think JD is going to stick to his criteria and look for football players first (athletes second), the guys who will play through contact, minor injuries, always seem to find a way to win contested balls, block downfield etc. He's not looking to re-create the KC offense

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've had our share (more!) of "great athletes" who were busts, mainly because they didn't know how to play football. You need a combination of physical ability and an understanding of the game. And of the two, it can be argued that the latter is more important than the former - NOTE: I am NOT saying that physical talent isn't necessary or even important! But guys who have an innate understanding of the game seem to be able to play a few steps or moves ahead of everyone else, and their ability to anticipate makes up for them not being the absolute best athletes. I think these are the guys Douglas is looking for.

chandler and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Would you be happy if Ruggs is the Jets 1st pick? I would and some are saying he might be the first WR picked. I can see that with both Lamb and Jeudy similar in talent. Ruggs is blazing fast and that would be a nice peice to have. Hopefully Ruggs and Perriman would be better than the last time the Jets tried to pair two blazers in Wesley Walker and Lam Jones.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree, but if Douglas could find another Mecole Hardman, I wouldn't mind him imitating KC a little bit.

19. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I would be happy with Ruggs. I'm gonna trust Douglas on this one. I like his mindset and direction so far so if he goes Ruggs over Jeudy and Lamb, I'll roll with it. So far he has earned the benefit of doubt from me.

20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Yup

We all pretend to know more but there's so much behind the scenes with these prospects that we don't get to see.

Hopefully JD is the right guy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk