Joe Douglas Conference Call Notes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 1, 2020.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gotta hope it's not too late, we cannot put Darnold through another beating like we did last year. We couldn't run the ball. Lamb or Jeudy will only help so much if Darnold is on his ass.

RochesterJet and K'OB like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’re about to go down the right path. Watch and enjoy

NCJetsfan, LAJet and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

I hope so, feels JD knows what needs to be done.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No comparison to the Sanchez era please. JD, in his short tenure, has done more about attempting to plug the OL holes without the benefit of even one freaking draft than his predecessors over their whole miserable tenure.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200403-76xyi6q3ezhbjgx5ghyxru2p4y-story.html
    May be the Corona Virus crisis is making me hyper sensitive but my dislike for Metha is increasing exponentially by the article. He seems to stir shit up against JD or Gase at every chance, writing articles loaded with meaningless innuendos, softened now and then by some back handed compliments while most often saying absolutely nothing. Good he makes Cimini look like a Pulitzer price winner.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

So do Jeudy and Lamb

blackssmagic and dawinner127 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

The sad thing is that we're all conditioned to failure and disappointment. No one is perfect, but Douglas has done a good job so far. The only thing that was even remotely a mistake was Kalil last season and that was just a move out of desperation. I'm sure that if he had had other alternatives that he would have taken them instead. It's hard for us to relax and trust that the Jets, and the Johnsons in particular, have finally gotten it right. We all have ideas of the moves and players that we think Douglas ought to do, and most of us are passionate and strongly believe in our opinions. Fretting, obsessing and worrying about it isn't going to change anything. We just need to take a deep breath and hope that Douglas will make a lot more good moves than bad, and that he will get things turned around. It may take longer than we want, but we're just going to have to be patient.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the OL. I think we're probably fine at the IOL positions. We have flexibility and depth. It's the OT positions I'm concerned with, especially RT. I have zero faith in Edoga. I have some faith in Fant, but I'd feel a LOT more comfortable if Douglas would go ahead and re-sign Beacham or sign Jason Peters. I do believe that one of those things has to happen before the draft. I think it would be a mistake to go into the draft having to take at least one OT, and maybe two. Of course, Douglas may have already contacted Beacham's agent or Peters' agent, or both, and have a tentative agreement in place, or they could still be available following the draft. Washington may also finally either drop their price or just cut Trent Williams as well. I believe that Douglas has a plan, a contingency play, and maybe even a backup contingency plan, it's just hard waiting to see what that is and how it works out because we all know it's so important to Sam's staying healthy and developing, and again, that just hasn't been our experience as Jets fans except a few times over the last 50 years.

With so much time on our hands now, it also makes it harder.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Oh for sure. But going off the straight SPEED comment Ruggs does more so than the other two. Also heard Perriman on ESPN Radio NY today with Bart Scott + Alan Hahn and Perriman said he is somewhere in the 4.19 - 4.25 range. Couple that speed with another guy who is in the mid 4.2s and defenses will be at a huge disadvantage. Anyways, you know my opinion on the matter. I'm cool with any of the big 3 WRs over any of the OTs. Just a preference on which one.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless we're back in the market looking for a QB, yes, I would give up a top 3 pick in 2021 for Ngakoue.

10. NCJetsfan

Is that said with tongue in cheek, or do you really think we'll be drafting in the top 3 in 2021?

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean I'm not expecting it but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ruggs is the real deal. Good observations

13. NCJetsfan

You either must really think that Gase is the second coming of Kotite or have little confidence in Douglas. The D should be even better this year, and with Sam having a year's experience in Gase's system, Gase having time to adjust to the players here, an upgraded OL, and the addition of talent coming from the draft, I think we'll be closer to being a playoff team than being a top 5 pick in the draft. I'm expecting something like 7-9 wins

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good response NC. I like your thinking. I actually believe Fant will be a pleasant surprise for us. I also believe that JD has one LT in mind with the 11th spot ahead of any WR for us. Thomas. The other three OL I suspect might not be ranked ahead of the top 2 WRs, unless of course he sees one of them with the potential of moving to left tackle eventually. I would also be very surprised if he does not have a back up plan in place with Beachum for another year in the mix or negotiating something with Peters or Trent. I think the dominos will fall further, another move will be made and Winters might become a victim unless he renegotiates at back up money. JD is sticking to his guns financially and trying to fit within his established target value.
    I can’t help but think last year OL was one of the worst in Jets history, or very close to it. Sanchez or Chad would not have survived the season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

JD is making up for lost time, but expecting Fant to solidify the LT spot is a dangerous mindset to have TBH. Gotta take care of the QB, the comparison is the mismanaging. I still consider the Jets O a mess so until otherwise I think we are hearing a similar song

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well I have absolutely no faith in Adam Gase, that's for sure, and I don't know how anyone possibly could. He's been awful any year that didn't involve Peyton Manning. I have confidence in Douglas. He's building correctly and I think he'll continue to build correctly but I don't think that's going to make a world of difference THIS year. The schedule, the coach, the roster... all I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are picking in the top three. I'm not expecting to, just wouldn't be surprised.

K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ruggs is light framed and he had real issues with press man and downfield redirection in his time at Alabama. The NFL is really good at figuring out a guys weaknesses and exploiting them.

I don't mind him as a #2 WR if you have a real threat opposite him however I don't think he's going to slot well into the featured role in an NFL offense. When defenses decide they want to shut him down he's going to shut down pretty easily.

18. NCJetsfan

OK thanks. You could be right. I have my doubts about Gase, but am nowhere near as down on him as you. I might be after this year.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, it was a bit tongue in cheek but Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

ruggs can line up anywhere though. If you has him as a secret weapon like the Chiefs do, he’s gonna be dangerous.

teams will be afraid to jam him at the line. He’s likely gonna be faster than any corner and what I do like about Ruggs is he’s a blur, but he has like a 40 inch vertical so he’s gonna be able to contest balls too. Him beating press is more about technique and using his hands and subtle feet to separate.

if you play off of him on the outside you can throw a bubble screen or quick screen and see if he can make a man miss.

with Ruggs you basically have him line up ALL over. In the backfield, in the slot, out wide...but also use him as the motion man sometimes if you feel he struggles with press, you can use him as misdirection...the chiefs do so well at this, teams automatically have to gameplan for him down the field but you just play cat and mouse. We necessarily haven’t seen Gase do that with any of the speedsters here besides Vyncent smith on the end around TD he scored last year....so its in the playbook, but honestly how many times did the Jets try to get their speedsters in space? Now Robby is more straight line speed, Crowder is more quick and twitchy than super fast so the personnel wasn’t really there, I also haven’t seen that effort or playcalling neither so that remains to be seen here.