Joe D Makes His Mark

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We'll see what 2020 holds for Adam Gase and his offense. There's no excuse why it shouldn't be a lot better statistically unless the problem lies with the system itself.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Williams lost his star LB game 1, another high level starter at LB in the preseason, was starting 4th stringers, had no competent corners, no one resembling a pass rusher especially when Jenkins got hurt, his rookie first round pick played injured when he wasn’t out injured... the list goes on and on. Injuries should have taken a way bigger toll on the defense than it did the offense but it was the complete opposite. And that’s what I mean when I say the valid concerns about Gase have nothing to do with the players on the field.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i never said he was unlucky. (Sean Payton is unlucky fwiw)

Gase was 7-9 with a crap roster. the two biggest free agent signings (which many on here were ecstatic about) contributed diddly (for whatever reason). Throw in Trumaine and you had 50 million in cap space doing nothing

That's playing with a handicap for the hand he was dealt in terms of roster

People of course are entitled to have different opinions on whether he did a good job or is a good coach

I'm optimistic about him and not apologetic about it

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Adams had that bad sound bite of him wanting to change his dick size...likely contributed to him not being drafted.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Really solid draft by Joe D., I'm in the camp that you can't really judge the picks in themselves until at least a couple of years. (Polite/Hackenburg being obvious exceptions)

-Like many of you mentioned, the way he moved down in the draft was a thing of beauty. It's been a long time since we accumulated picks.
    -For the most part, we got solid value. Morgan might have been the only reach--but if you feel a QB has potential to blossom you take the risk in the late rounds.
    -Each one of our picks has traits to be studs--physical,mental,leadership. It's up to the coaches to develop now.
    -Each pick has good production, proof that they can go on a field and add value
    -Loved Braden Mann pick, you pick great players when they are there, doesn't matter what position. Everyone agrees he can be Shane Lechler type.

Great start to UFA's as well.

I hope we have some kind of season this year guys!

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Again, you are comparing Williams losing his star linebacker to Gase losing his play caller and then losing his backup play caller. While Mosley is the signal caller for the defense, a defense can function with one linebacker out. Try having a scoring productive offense when you lose your starting QB, tight end, wide receiver, and you have the leagues worst offensive line.

You do also realize the Jets had the 26th rated defense and gave up 22 points per game and 320+ yards per game.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We were 16th in points allowed, 7th in yards allowed, 17th ranked passing defense, 2nd ranked run defense. It’s been 5 years since a Gase-coached offense ranked top 17 in anything. Points, yards, passing, rushing. Again... the concerns with Gase go far beyond the inactive list.

All of this per Pro Football Reference.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Looking forward to seeing Davis and Perrine on this roster, I think they already have predefined roles. Davis will play more deep safety to allow Maye to be more of a play-maker.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Davis for sure in the big nickel. He should give us big play protection on the back end while not giving up much in the run game bringing Jamal up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My concerns with Gase aren't based on the players he had or the injuries but how he reacted to them. I didn't see him making adjustments to his game plans or schemes based on the actual players he had vs. the players he wished he had. He badly used Bell's skill set, and almost never (if at all) employed multiple RB formations that could've taken advantage of Bell, Montgomery and Powell's abilities as receivers. He failed to play his starting OL even one snap together in P.S.. He never tried to adjust the blocking schemes to fit the linemen he had. After the starting drive he never seemed to adjust his game plan to what was actually happening in the game. My image of Gase is of him sitting on the bench with no one within 20 feet of him, his head down while he was drawing up plays on his clip board.

As a Jets fan I hope he finally figures things out, beginning with the awakening that he isn't the genius he believes he is, but I have my doubt, and I will remain skeptical until his record proves otherwise. JD has given him a massively revamped team, so there should be no excuses now.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Cman68

Gase might be better suited to be an OC instead of a HC. We'll find out this year what the deal is with AG.

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I posted in another forum about his plan to build the team (trenches and outward) during FA and like you a
    I couldn't agree more. I posted in another forum about his plan to build the team (trenches and outward, establishing grading guidelines for player selections, ensuring that all scouts as well as, coaches understand it and agreed with it, LISTENING to coaches and executing the conceptual model he talk about in the very first press conf) during FA and like you and others I may not agree with every selection but he proved my faith in the premise that he had a plan and would execute it.

NOW as CC, Cman65 stated AG, has no excuses - not even his shitty PC - for not have an efficient and effect O. If this team's OL and O is as dysfunctional as it was last year he should be fire... period.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fixed for you.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the Jets didn't have Biadasz on their board. Mogriffjr in post #40 of this thread posted a quote that said that Biadasz is very limited athletically (a below-average athlete who doesn't show great range climbing to the second level in the run game and is going to need help working against quicker interior pass-rushers), and they want very athletic, mobile OL. One of the key things I read early this offseason is that the Jets wanted a C who was mobile, could pull and could get to the second level easily. Then there's Biadasz' injury which makes him even more limited. With all that being the case, I think it was probably unrealistic to want Biadasz and think that the Jets would draft him. I'm sure there were things like that with the WRs that I hoped that Douglas would pick. We just don't know all the information about the prospects and don't know all the specifics about what the CS and Douglas are looking for in players.

#74 NCJetsfan, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. Cman68

Now now... be nice to the guy in the big chair. Remember, Belichek sucked in Cleveland and wasn't doing much better in NE until the GOAT came along. AG has this year to show us something. If his offense doesn't click with all these upgrades, then the problem is systemic and AG has to be held accountable.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

It was a dumb thing to say and very immature. I think you're on to something. Maybe it was that and just how he came across in interviews in general. I think interviews had greater importance this offseason than ever before since teams couldn't have players in for physicals and workouts, and there were very few Pro Days.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I agree with this, but Gase's failure to employ multiple RB formations more than likely was due to the atrocious OL play. Some of those plays can take time to develop that Sam never had. I think we'll get a better read on Gase this season in how he uses players, what new plays/formations he comes up with to take advantage of the improved OL and new personnel.

I think the criticisms of him sitting alone on the bench with his head down, drawing up plays is potentially very valid. He could, and perhaps should have been on his feet talking to players, coaching them, firing them up, rallying the troops. That said, perhaps he was desperately trying to come up with some plays that would work with they horrific OL we had. Perhaps he knew that he could give pep talks and coach until he was blue in the face, but when you have a young QB who doesn't really even belong in the NFL and perhaps the worst OL in the NFL, it didn't matter. It was a lethal combination that would have sunk any OC's offense. I think I remember also reading that a number of times receivers ran the wrong routes and the offense just wasn't in sync. Now perhaps Gase gets some blame there for not sticking to fundamentals and insuring that the players knew where they were supposed to be, but the players have to accept some blame as well. They are professionals and should know their responsibilities on any given play, and what routes they're supposed to be running. By all accounts, practices were well organized, moved crisply, and the team worked hard. So it may have been more than many of the players we had just weren't smart enough and/or talented enough to execute and NFL offense.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

just saw he finally signed with Buffalo

19. NCJetsfan

Yeah. I hope he learned from the experience. I hope that he will develop and make a good career for himself in the NFL if his body and mind will allow it, just not with Buffalo.

20. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

How about if the one WR the Jets took in this draft does not pan out or gets injured? Looks like the Jets will have receivers by committee this season since they blew an outstanding chance to significantly update the receiving corps. I guess the Jets need a Punter, backup QB and Safety more than they need WR depth.