Joe D Makes His Mark

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 25, 2020.

1. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

And just like Gase got his boss Maccagnan fired, if Gase doesn't cut it then Douglas can fire his underling Gase.

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

What I like most about JD is he's not going to get bullied by AG. Gase was real quiet through the Draft and JD was the man in charge. This is JD team to run and the sooner The Johnsons realize it the better. I think Gase realizes he will never pull the shit he did with Mac with JD. He will be out of a job real quick & JD will move on to the next HC. JD has surrounded him self with a great front office & I can for the first time in 55 years feel real confident in the organization. All through the Draft I had faith in JD judgment, something I never felt with Mac at the helm. JD passed his first test with flying colors. He came here with a plan & he stuck to it big time. There's a new sheriff in town.....JD. IS THE MAN!

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep , and of course JD and Adam G are supposed to be friends cause presumably Gase pulled his shitfit to oust Mac and get us Douglas...so I dont think there is bullying but from what I saw during the draft some phone convo/collaboration which looks good to me

OTOH however, Joe D also knows Gase has had only one winning season in his entire career and in the back of his mind he would probably be pissed if the HC didnt make use off all the talent he worked so hard to accumulate for the Jets!

Gase has to start winning or his relationship with Douglas, who has a longer Contract, will change fast

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I echo many here have stated.

One thing that I am feeling for first time is TRUST. I trust JD running the team, his almost boring but smart and conservatively but yet aggressive approach (trade back, get picks, “yeah we could have had this guy at 48 but we can move back get this player maybe not first rd material but solid and get another pick”).

It’s not just about the draft and what we’ll expect from him in next year’s draft and beyond but his FA approach in which I thought was solid and feel he is not done. He won’t get big names like Clowney and am ok with that but he’ll plug in couple good character veterans on 1-2 year deals And not maximizing or restricting our cap.

In JD we trust.

5. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

The scary part of what looks to be a really good draft, is that those players will now be handed over to Gase.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This was one of the most talented and deep classes of WRs ever and we walked away with one of them despite having three fourth round picks. I really hope this class pans out because if we have another “Gase had shit to work with, Sam had no weapons” excuse-filled season and guys like AGG end up being legit players, that falls squarely on Douglas. That Morgan pick could haunt us for a long long time.

That being said there’s definitely a different feel this year. You get the sense that outside of Morgan there was a coherent thought process behind every move whether it was a trade or an actual pick. That’s a nice change up.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Some others were also wondering about why Prince Tega Wanogho dropped so much. I read yesterday that he has questionable knees. The article wasn't detailed, and I had never heard anything about his having bad knees before, so that's a little puzzling, but make sense. Teams must also think that Trey Adams' health isn't worth taking a flyer on even in the 6th or 7th round, or he has some character flaw/issue that we don't know about.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not to get in yet another Gase debate, but pretty remarkable that Gase was able to win 7 games last year with no offensive line, his starting QB out for weeks, and leading the league in injuries week after week.

I'm not worried about Gase working with this team

NCJetsfan, LAJet, FJF and 2 others like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It was surprising and frustrating to take only one WR, but imo he had to do something about depth at QB. For too long the Jets have not given enough consideration to drafting and developing a QB prospect who truly had a chance to develop into a solid backup QB and who has an NFL arm.

I don't think one can say that there was a coherent thought process behind every other move but not behind Morgan's pick. Did Douglas have a brain fart or seizure or something? Did he turn in the wrong card? I get it. You, I and others preferred taking another WR in the 3rd or 4th round. We didn't care if the whole draft was offense, but that was never the reality. Williams wouldn't have been happy if Douglas totally ignored the D. Douglas also knew how little depth this team has, especially at QB. Especially after last season, there's no way we could have gone into the upcoming season with Darnold, Fales and White at QB. He would have gotten crucified and rightfully so, especially if Sam had to miss a game or two and the QB play was no better than Siemian/Falk. I was hoping that we could get Anthony Gordon in the 5th or 6th round, but he wound up undrafted and may not be as good a prospect as Morgan. Hall could help this team more than a backup QB who may never see the field. Perhaps AGG, Tyler Johnson, or Collin Johnson could have as well. Passing on them and taking Morgan could have been a mistake. If it's the only mistake Douglas made in the draft, I can live with that. If he and the Jets scouts had Morgan rated that much better than that trio of WRs, and with it being a more important position, I can understand why Douglas made the decision he did. We'll just have to hope that he's right.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i get the sentiment but we have a legit starter and there's always next year. And if Tyler's hip is bad, what's the difference -- he may not be contributing until next year either (even if there were a spot for him)

I liked the Hall pick, and initial signs are the Bless pick last year paid off, but drafting guys with injuries is super risky.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have a feeling there will be several UDFA QB's knocking on the Jets' door this summer. Same for WR's. I would like to think our luck has changed and we could luck up and find a guy that can step in.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agreed. I feel in the minority thinking Gase is good.

There's an old saying, "Talent knows talent". I don't think JD comes here as GM if thought Gase was crap. My suspicion is Gase knew JD was talented and vice versa and they just needed an opportunity to actually mold a team

13. BroadwayAaron

There’s another old saying... “everybody’s got a price”.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets not forget the most important old saying: " You are what your record says you are..."

15. BroadwayAaron

This will forever hold true IMO. Haven’t you heard Gase is just the unluckiest coach of all time though?

16. Falco21

You can mock it all you want, but last year was the most unluckiest year I've ever seen. From the starting QB getting mono to the injured reserve list having a league high 15 players and over $60 million of your cap space.

chandler and Br4d like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So 3 starters this year and 4-5 more with a legit path to a starting job next year . This could be a franchise altering draft. Color me cautiously optimistic

18. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

I hope you’re right. I have serious doubts that he’s capable of of actually leading this team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

I have no desire to get on this shitty carousel but while the injury excuse technically works for this last season, you can and should question why Gregg Williams took a bunch of no names and made them formidable while Gase threw in the theoretical towel. A lot of the completely valid concerns about Gase have nothing to do with the players on the field. But hey hopefully 2020 will be different. I’m rooting for it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Falco21

I'm not getting in a shitty carousel with you either, but a spade is a spade, and last year was an unlucky year for Gase. And it would be accurate to not call it an "injury excuse". Again, $60 million of our cap space was on the injured reserve. That's not an excuse, that's a fact and an incredible one.