Jim Popp: Interesting GM Candidate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 10, 2013.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

why would we(or anybody else) care that people who don't like anything wouldn't like Popp? thats hardly a reason not to hire a person who would do an excellent job. If Popp is the best candidate he should get the job.

2. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Agree. This guy might be our best bet. He wants a shot at the NFL and so he would prob be ok with keeping the buffoon around as long he can be an NFL GM.

We had no shot with Caldwell as his first act was getting rid of malarkey. He never would have put up with the buffoon. I bet that is why gamble "didn't interview well." I'm sure Omar khan will come with up some excuse too and Ross also. No way guys from franchises like the steelers or giants would put up with our buffoon HC.

3. odessa

odessa Banned

hmmm that's some out of the box thinking, I like. I won't jump for joy if they hire him, but I also won't be down on him. He has obvious pass success as a GM in the CFL,so see what happens if the Jets hire him.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i wonder if he was the guy who signed ricky williams... sign this beast!!!

5. Combustible Rextible

Sounds like a hoser, eh?

6. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Nope, Ricky played here in Toronto.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

haha i love that it automatically puts the smiley up.

thanks for the correction. i thought it was montreal for some reason.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Please no.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Having a poop gm would be a legendary phase in Jets proud history.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

no, but suckchise can.:eek:hmy:

11. mr nyjet

quite the contrary. what they did before hasn't worked, so why not think outside the box? :up:

12. mr nyjet

weeb won a title in the nfl with the colts, then won the super bowl with the jets.

jimmy orr was not surprised. he said you could put a bunch of guys in a room, have them jump over tables, and weeb could pick out the real football players.

some guys just have the skills no matter where they work.:beer:

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

he got rid of Mularkey because he won two games, for crying out loud, and is a proven failure as a head coach. there simply is no way you can even remotely compare Mularkey to Rex.

14. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

i like him, but he's from Canada sooooo....no.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

How is he a proven failure? Because he had a single bad season with a roster thats a shit load less talented than ours (believe it or not)?

Are you seriously going to argue that Woody insisting that Rex must stay didnt hurt our chances at our #1 GM candidate? C'mon now, this is getting a little old. Its clear Caldwell wanted to pick his own candidate and he wouldn't have had that power here.

16. Classyy61

Classyy61 New Member

I live in Montreal and he is the best GM in the CFL !

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

career HC record of 16-32. even Junc couldn't rationalize that record if he was a Jets coach, but you are free to give it a spin if you are actually attempting to go down that road.

you don't know why Mularkey chose the Jags. I'm sure the ability to fire the coach in Jacksonville was a likely requirement for his interest in that job considering their recent history, but you don't know how important that would have been with the Jets, or if it wasn't a big deal if the Jets could offer other positives that the Jags didn't have. I have said this before, but by your argument had he been interviewing for the 49ers, he would have turned them down if he would have had to keep Harbaugh if it is an absolute condition of taking a job that he fire the coach.

the reality of his interest in firing a coach was based on the specific dynamics of that specific situation, and the Jets and Jags situations are different.

beyond that, if Woody believes he can find an equally competent GM as Caldwell to go along with Rex, then losing Caldwell isn't a big deal. the fact is until Caldwell proves to be the greatest GM hire of the decade, and the Jets hire proves to be a schmuck, the Jets haven't lost out on anybody so you have no grounds to complain about it.

18. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Instead of sending Tebow to the CFL we can bring the CFL to Tebow. Nice.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

My mistake, I thought this was his first coaching stint. Although outside of his one year run with Jax, 14-18 looks a whole lot similar to what Rex has done the last two years.

I've never said in my argument that it is absolute condition that the GM must fire the HC. As I have been saying this entire process, I think the fate of Rex should be left up to the GM. If the GM chooses to fire Rex, okay. If he chooses to stick it out with him for another year, alright. I think its a horrible idea forcing Rex upon a GM who is likely to be here longer than Rex himself and also having Rex have input on who the GM should be.

Also, for the record, I dont think that comparison to the 49ers is a good one. Harbaugh is a hell of a lot better coach than Rex Ryan and I would take him every single time over Rex. Harbaugh has won his division 2 years in a row. He made the NFC championship game last year and is one win away from the only thing Rex can hang his hat on at this point. He's also developed a young QB, implemented a well rounded offense while improving the defense and created a great culture and professional environment over there; all things Rex has not done.

But thats another argument... This is about the GM job.

Well, it seems like Caldwell was their #1 candidate, so I do have "grounds to complain about it". He may not turn out to be the best candidate, but he was a top their list from what it seems and thats what matters to me. Many people said that pushing Rex upon a GM wouldnt hurt our chances at hiring our top candidate as GM... Well thats false.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It's true, if you look at the two greatest seasons of Mularkey's career they are comparable to the two worst seasons of Ryan's.