Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Honestly, everyone complains about him pussyfooting to the hole, but one of Turner's major strengths is that he gets up to full speed/power quicker than almost any back I've seen. In that repect, it's just letting him bide more time for a hole to open up for him to burst through, as he can burst through that hole at full power whether he begins his run from 5 yards behind center or 3 steps behind the line. He also shows impressive speed, power, and tackle-eluding ability once he gets to the second level. His motor doesn't seem to stop until he's on his ass; something we can't currently say about any of our current backs.

He can and will be a starter in this league, and although I'm not sure if I'm willing to to part with anything higher than Washington's second rounder for him. I will say, however, that I wan't be crying about this if it goes down unless if Carriker's still on the board at pick #25. I see Carriker as being the only one who could potentially help us more at that pick.

2. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

I'm with you...I'd rather go with a rookie than the next Derrick Blayock

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I really would like to know why we are possibly the only team that is really in the market for him and furthermore why was he a fifth round pick? If he was such this amazing combination of speed, power, quickness, and elusiveness then he would've been the #1 overall pick. There's a difference between being a dominating athlete and a dominating football player. He can be a dominating athlete, however he is not a dominating football player.

For anyone watching this so called footage, it's a preseason game and he isn't touched until he's four yards into the play. Throughout the whole video he isn't touched until he's five yards down field. He's a very impressive runner in the open field, I will give you that. Which is why the backup role suits him so well. Not to mention San Diego runs a counter offense, that has proven backups to be dominant. Jesse Chatman, a 5'8", 245 lbs. back who ran in the 4.5's is even more of an impressive athlete than Turner and he too averaged six yards a carry.

Watch all the plays in that video and you'll see his hesitant footsteps before running into the hole. He doesn't put his head down, he searches for a hole then accelerates. Something that doesn't work in an offense in which most of our players are right up the gut.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He doesn't pussyfoot in the hole...that was a comment by Jonathan Vilma

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh well, watching this so called highlight film supports it. He hesitates and plants, pulling himself to a halt before finding a hole. Your feature back needs to go get yards, not wait for them. Why do you think Larry Johnson got ate up in the playoffs? Because the Colts just held their assignments, since he's one of those backs like Turner who waits and if there is no hole, runs east and west.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm not gonna lie, I haven't seen too much of the guy, but in that video if the hole isn't about 2 yards wide, he stutter-steps a little rather than just running at it head-on. It seems like he's a great athlete and well-built for the position, but his instincts aren't top notch. I'm not sure whether or not you canhe teach those sorts of things...

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Think the Jets are thinking it's okay to part with their 1st becuase of the depth in defense this year. Espeicially at the DE position. 37th pick is still a great spot to pick up a stud DE. Maybe not the exact guy you wanted, but another very talented player. Than again the whole draft is a crap shoot anyways. Never really know who's going to turn out good and who's going to bust.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We need a NT before a RB. I'll leave it at that.

9. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

This rumor makes no sense. Either someone in San Diego is trying to drive up Turner's price, or this is just completely made up. The Jets would be trading for the backup to the best running back in the league, who's off to one of the best starts in league history. Now, if the Jets had a guy like LT, wouldn't you be surprised if they turned down an offer of a 2nd round pick for his backup? So, why, would the Jets tell the Chargers that they would give up a first round pick for their backup runningback before they even officially tender the guy? Does that sound like good negotiating? I mean, could the price for a backup runningback possibly go up from a first rounder? I am not against the Jets going after Turner, and if they think he's worth a first round pick, then thats fine. But, I am positive that this article is 100% BS.

10. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The Turner rumored trade is a slam dunk. Only a couple of people who have to overrate a late first rounder on this site, don't see that.

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Can't Wait

Till the Jets get Turner. Gonna upgrade the whole offense. Imagine Turner at rb, Leon on 3rd down out of the backfield. Nice !!!

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It would be nice!!!, but who knows if they are really going to get him.

We'd have to give up a 1st rounder for him.

14. baamf

baamf Active Member

Oh great another thread on Turner. I think he's going to be the Ty Law of two years ago in regards to the number of threads started. :smile:

Well, I for one am not interested, but to each his own...

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

and who can play NT thats worth our pick in the 1st?

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Based on what? I'll believe it when I see it, and so far I can't. I just don't think this FO will sign off on a back that can't catch the ball and is unproven in heavy duty.

17. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I like the post where the guy wants a first and Coles :lol: who had produced in our "conservative" offense in 06 :eek:hmy:

#157 The Green Dude, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  18. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Overrate the value of a first rounder? Two years ago we could have had Shaun Alexander for a 2nd rounder. He went out that year and won the MVP.

This is not a slam dunk by any means!

19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

How is any 1st rounder overrated?? We were all flipping over our early 2nd rounder because it was basically another 1st rounder. The draft pick isn't overrated, the damn player is.

20. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I would use the pick on turner over any RB in this years draft... RB is out #1 priority and if we need to give up a 1st rounder to address the best possible solution then so be it, thats just me and the way I look at it.