Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I don't thinkanyone wants Kendall to get benched.... he is arguably the best lineman we have. I think Ferguson will improve, but not as quickly as we would like.

Clement had something of a rebound year, but that isn't saying much. He was released by AZ in 2004, and then again by SF after 2005. both of those teams had huge O line problems. Moore, aside from taking too many penalties simply can't dominate his man. He holds ground, but rarely generates any push. Our RB's always have to run through trash if they get to the second level. They rarely get beyond the line without getting hit. That includes the speedy Washington.

This O line just doesn't open holes. Aside from that, Clement isn't even signed. Moore is a guy that is high quality depth IMO, but not a starter if one wants to establish a running game. The right side of our line is weak, if just short of being in shambles.

Wanting a 5 technique DE and a good run blocker at either RG or RT are why I hate the idea of trading a pick for Turner. If we hold onto both of our first two picks, we can pick up two starters.... a DE and an O lineman for the right side. Kendall might have 2 years left... all the more reason to continue to rebuild the O line. People that think Turner will have a 5 YPC behind this line are mistaken.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It isnt a critical flaw and it isnt perfect the way it is. I just don't think it is something to be overly worried about. We currently don't have a RT because Clements is a FA so clearly the Jets will either sign someone or draft someone to fill that void.

I just think we can fill the need for a go-to RB with playmaking ability and patch the Oline up at the same time.

3. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

No, don't blow our first rounder on an unproven back.

4. PennyandtheJets

I think the belief is that the 25th pick overall holds close to the same value as our second round picks. Meaning the first round talent is dried up by that point. I think those two second rounders really add some versatility to our offseason gameplan.

5. PennyandtheJets

Couldn't I make the arguement that Leon Washington is an unproven back as well? Its not like Leon has carried the ball 300 times in a season.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I've always believed you build from the trenches and fit the skill positions in later, but who's to say the FO isn't satisfied with both the OL and DL and who's to say they shouldn't be. Offensive linemen can be groomed and found, and frankly, I think the biggest key to success along the loine is continuity, not individual talent.

As for the DL, I think we need one more player, but maybe that player is Pouha. Who among us has seen enough to say it isn't?

And if both of those things are true, then what's wrong with spending a first on Turner? Well, a first does seem high, but what about a second? There are just too many ifs for us to say anything for certain. God, I love the offseason!

7. PennyandtheJets

I don't think there is any question we need a RT as we don't have one currently signed, but otherwise I agree. Offensive lineman need to have games under their belt together so that they can communicate and block as a cohesive group.

We can get Turner and fix the oline all at once guys.

8. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

I think Turner is an awesome rb. It wont bother me at all if the Jets give up a late 1st rd pick to aquire him. He's more proven than any rb in the draft, and Id bet he is a little hungrier to be a feature back. Turner has looked great to me in the time he had to play, and that includes at least 1 start in Tomlinsons absense. If the Jets could get him for less then Id be all for it, but in terms of performance I think he will provide equal value to any rb in the draft

9. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

full article.

10. RobA

Did the jets spend a 1st rounder on him?

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Wow, that article basically says the deal is done pending the Jets negotiating a contract with Turner.

12. PennyandtheJets

"Speaking to people familiar with the Chargers around Mobile you get the feeling the deal is done."

Wow, that tidbit is much more revealing than what was available to read.

I don't think the Jets will have a hard time striking a deal. This guy will be dying to take the full load for any team.

13. PennyandtheJets

What does that have to do with anything? You said you didnt want to spend a first rounder on an unproven RB...I asked you if the Jets have a proven back on the roster.

14. RobA

No, I guess you could say they don't. But Leon is already on the roster, only cost them a 4th rounder, and had a great rookie yr. He has 2 100 yd rushing games (when he gets the carries, he produces).

I don't think the jets need to spend a 1st round pick on a position that really isn't needed that badly at this pt. The jets really just need a power back to compliment leon, maybe a 3rd rounder.

Question: When are trades allowed to begin?

#94 RobA, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  15. PennyandtheJets

I believe March 2nd...when Free agency begins.

16. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Mangini gives mixed singles so mess everyone up. No way in hell we are even thinking about trading out first rounder. Not a chance, I dont believe it. Our front office thinks to highly of first round picks.

17. PennyandtheJets

This may be true, but from what I am hearing...the first round talent kinda drops off at around 20. The Jets would be wise and either trade out of round one and gather more picks or trade it away and get a player.

18. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I'll eat a sneaker right after I stepped in dog doo if the Jets surrender a first rounder for Turner. You'll have to trust me, as there won't be any witnesses.

19. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

This is a bad, bad move. I like Turner, and I think he can be a very good back, but this is throwing a whole lot of eggs into that basket, especially so early in the process. No one else is going to be giving up a first rounder for him, and neither should the Jets.

20. PennyandtheJets

Yikes...for your sake I hope it is a second round pick :rolleyes: