Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

You never seen him have more then 10 carries. Micheal Bush is just as good as Turner, only if you give Bush 3 years. They both have the same size and speed. Why do this trade ? I SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Actually, I have seen him with over 10 carries...

Week 1 he had 10 carries for 37 yards and a TD against the Raider Defense.

Week 2 he had 13 carries and the end result was 138 yards and also had another two receptions for 17 yards.

Week 4 he had 11 carries for 56 yards agains the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Week 17 he had 11 carries for 58 yards to go along with his 1 reception for 30 yards

#62 PennyandtheJets, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

Good point, but do you think he could do that every game ?

Why not get Micheal Bush...

Bush/Washington would be sick. ( WE ALSO KEEP THE 25th PICK )

4. PennyandtheJets

He won't average 10 yards a carry every game...no runningback will, but I have just illustrated that he has seen a fair amount of carries in games and the results are quite good.

Bush is a risk. He has potential, but I just don't think as tall as he is. he will run low enough to be a good RB.

Thats the knock on Brandon Jacobs who is very similiar. He doesn't lower his pads because of his tremendous height.

Not too mention he is still rehabbing his leg.

Don't get me wrong Bush CAN produce in the NFL and you have every right to think he will, I just have my doubts with him.

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

There are a number of things wrong here:

1. I wouldn't trade a #1 for unproven (garbage time and sd's awesome line mean he's unproven)-I would give them our late 2, or early if b.shcott thinks its worth it, cause this brings me to my next point

2. Perfect Day 1:DT or DE, 2:Michael Bush, 2B:DE or DT, 3:OG or OT

3.Lamont Jordan is more than average (over 1500 total yards with an avg. QB-collins and avg. line) he had nothing this year so stop dissin our boy just because we couldn't afford him and already had cm

6. PennyandtheJets

I agree with your opinion of Lamont Jordan...

The guy had NO offensive line and zero teammates that gave a damn.

Give Lamont a decent line and a functional offense and the guy will produce.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Would trade the number one pick for Turner in one second and never look back. Stop insulting the Chargers with that second 2nd round pick nonsense. That's embarrassing.

8. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

I respect that, I won't mind Turner. I just hope he doesn't end like LaMont Jordan, who had one good year and then vanished. I would do it in a heartbeat if it was for any of our 2nd rounders.

9. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

He had off the top of my head 1200 rushing 300 receiving and I beleive about 10-12 TD's......pretty confident about those numbers but don't feel like checking. If those numbers are accurate I think you will be hard pressed to say that was not a top ten perdormance for the year by an RB.

I would be happy with numbers like that, let's also keep in mind Lamont was on a terrible team his first year with Oakland and still put up those numbers. If 1500 all purpose yards and 10-12 TD's is a bad season for a RB then your standards of what constitutes solid RB production is not realistic.

EDIT:

I just checked and while he just eclisped the 1000 yard mark rushing, he was over 500 receiving with 70 receptions.

1600 yards and 11 TD's in 14 games is very good production. Average it out with the two games he missed and the guy was around 1800 all purpose yards.....Your expectations are too high.

#69 Big Derty, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  10. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

with tons of mileage on them.. something turner doesn't have.

11. PennyandtheJets

Absolutely. Both of them were 27 or 28 I believe when those trade talks were going around and they both had a ton of mileage.

You could actually argue that Turner could last as a starter until he is 32 or 33 because he hasn't had that many carries in the NFL.

I am not comparing Turner to Tiki Baber, but Barber could have easily played until he was 33 because he didn't carry the ball as much when he was younger.

12. PennyandtheJets

Not too mention he was playing with KFC (Kerry Fucking Collins) and the Line still stunk.

Anyone who bashes Jordan is a fool. He had an awful year this year because Oakland couldn't block anyone.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

My entire point was that the trade would be made if the Jets feel that no player, including those that are 3-4 players, provided more value to the team than Michael Turner.

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the OL is not "just fine". Kendall is not as good as he was in 2004, and is getting older. Moore is not good at all. He had one year where he was "solid" in 2004, but since then has been poor. The Jets must get stronger in the interior part of the OL, that is a huge issue. Although both should be done, if only one was done, it would obviously be to improve the OL and stick with the current running backs. That's not even an issue. RT is definitely not as big an issue as RG or even LG. Clement was the 2nd, MAYBE 3rd best player on the line last year. But since he's not a sexy name, people want him replaced.

15. PennyandtheJets

Keep in mind I am counting on Mangold and Brick to improve which is why I think the Oline wil improve without us even adding to it.

I agree that there is some room for improvement on the right side, but I have to kindly disagree with the comments on Kendall. He is a very good LG and was a big reason for Mangold and his very early success.

No way should we bench Kendall. He is a very smart guy and should start for us the next two years.

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Of course Mangold and D'Brick will continue to improve, but that's only two players. I never said anything about Kendall not being a good player anymore, but I said he's not as good as he was in 2004 in response to your point that the OL is fine because the two guards were on the same line that two years ago produced the rushing champion. Kendall is still very solid, and should start next year. But he's not the borderline great lineman that he was in 2004.

No way can the Jets rely on Mangold and D'Brick improving as reason for the entire OL, especially in run blocking, to improve. They were probably our two best linemen last season. Even if they continue to improve, it won't change the fact that Kendall is getting older and will begin to decline, or the fact that Moore is below average (and that's being kind).

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that overrated #26 pick in the draft is a proven? Gimmie a break. Turner for that pick is an absolute heist for the Jets.

18. PennyandtheJets

Well, like I said in another post, I am not against improving the Oline.

When I say I want Michael Turner it doesn't mean, "let's trade for him and ignore the Oline"...

I think it is quite possible to get Turner and tweak the Oline so that we can have success in the run game.

I never said Mangold and Brick would make the entire oline superior, but they will improve their runblocking thus making the run game better.

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Well after you said the OL was just fine, it led me to believe that you didn't think it was one of the critical flaws of the team.

20. PennyandtheJets

We have pick #25...you make a good point with the proven BS. If anything Turner has proven more.