Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

Does no one remember how good Blaylock looked running at garbage time in KC? Remember the past... learn from it.

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Priest Holmes and Ahman Green looked great in garbage time, and they became great starting RBs.

Turner could be horrible like Blaylock, great like Holmes, or average like Jordan. No one knows. If the Jets think he can be closer to the level of Holmes/Green, then they should go after him.

3. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

For a first round pick?? I don't think so.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If they feel he can be a top 5 caliber RB, then of course they'd trade it.

5. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I don't think he is worth a first round pick. He's not as good as Shaun Alexander, and he could have been had for a second rounder last year. I would like Turner, but I'm not willing to part with the first round pick.

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

If they pull this off they need to make a deidcated effort in improving the run blocking because that's where the real problem is.

7. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

they would be much better off taking the top guard in the draft at this spot and keeping the RB by committee.

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

If we give up anything more than a 3rd its a HUGE mistake.

9. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

My guess is this is being leaked by SD who is looking to get some team to give them a first rounder for Turner. I would understand a 2nd rounder but our only first round pick? after how we held out with Atlanta seems a little too much for our FO IMO.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

No thank you.

11. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

My $.02 is that we still have are not good enough in other areas to the point where we can be giving up a high draft pick for a RB that we think is going to be good. We still have to many areas on both sides of the ball (especially the lines) where other quality teams can beat us . I would tend to think that EM would try to bring in a quality RB and possibly WR to make a run at the SB in 08/09 and use this years draft and some FA to put more of the pieces together.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Difference is that, this draft is LOADED with 3-4 players and right tackles. We simply can't give away the pick based on the total value, we have to say to ourselves. Can we get a player that can help our team more at a position of need at 25? The answer is yes.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I said it before and Ill say it again. AT BEST we give them a 3rd round pick, nothing more. If desperate which I doubt we will be, give them the Jets 2nd rounder.

SD must be thinking the RB market this offseason is going to be intense, when in reality it wont be with Id say 3-6 teams with ??? as RBs in GB, HOU, CLE, NYG, NYJ, and BAL. And You'd figure Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch eliminates two of them(GB/HOU and CLE is my guess). And then you have guys like Michael Bush who can be possible guys to help teams which NYG or BAL may look upon.

So honestly theres 2-3 teams looking for RB's, hell Im questioning HOU since they seem to trust Domanick Davis(Refuse to call him Williams. :lol:). Lets not forget where Kubiak came from, so he has the chance of making a no one a capable RB.

We gave a 4th round pick for a RB already..... Hell I have a good feeling we can grab Thomas Jones with a 3rd round pick and he has proven to be rather alright as a starter. Not as high of a ceiling I guess as Turner but of course less question marks.

14. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

All you guys are saying he's not worth the 25th pick. Would he be worth more than Anthony Becht who was picked late in the first round? What about Deangelo Williams or Kelly Jennings or Mercedes Lewis? All those guys were picked late in the first round last year.

I say, if the Jets see more Value in Turner than anyone projected at 25-30, than go for it. Who would you rather have splitting carries with Washington next year? Cedric Houston, Barlow or Turner? I say turner, unless the Jets think they can get better value later in round one. But picking there is a bigger crap shoot than getting a back that has already proved IN THE NFL that he can run over guys or run around them on the ends...

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

But its fine to see him as the franchise RB but the Jets can play it smart and play their cards right, they can get him at a lesser price.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I saw a lot of posts about how Seattle couldn't get a 1st for Alexander or the Colts couldn't get a 1st for James. The difference is they both were close to 30. That's a big deal in determining whether or not to give up a 1st for a RB. That's why they could not get a 1st round pick for either of them.

I don't know if I would give up a 1st round pick for Turner right now. I think he is worth a 2nd round pick for sure. But, if we did give up a 1st I certainly wouldn't be looking for a noose.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Acutally Priest was the full time starter with the Ravens before Jamal was drafted and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a season.

I sure as hell hope that they dont give up their #1 for Turner. We may have a late pick but there is always value.
    Mangold was still available at 29 last year.
    Logan Mankins was the last pick in the first round a few years ago and even though the draft may be showing as a 20 man first round so far, things/ratings change so much until the draft occurs that its hard to even place value on anyone yet.
    If the Jets do trade their #1 pick for Turner then they should get Turner + a pick (3rd/4th round).

18. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I agree yeah he looks like a nice rb but he is unproven

19. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

This is a source at the CHARGERS not the Jets. This is purely spin vy the Chargers to try and raise the trade value of Turner. There is not story and no meat here. Someone in the Chargers front office has picked a very believable target in the Jets, and "leaked" the info that the Jets are willing to give up a 1, thinking that it will make sure that they get at least a 1 for Turner. There is nothing to say there is any validity here to what the Jets are thinking. I for one, do not think we are going this direction.

20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Face it guys...one way or another it looks like a lock that Micahel Turner will be a New York Jet.

Now...I am not a fan of giving up the 25th pick, but they clearly are giving away this pick because...

A: They see the talent this guy has

B: There aren't going to be any better RB's at 25th overall

C: They are going to feature this guy and let Leon be the change of pace

I think Michael Turner to the Jets makes tons of sense and will make our Running game a force to be reckoned with.

OUR OFFENSIVE LINE IS JUST FINE!

We had two rookies starting last season...THEY WILL IMPROVE!

We have the Veteran Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore who were a part of the 2004 line which blocked for Martin's 1600+ yard season.

The only place that needs help is RT and that can be easily filled with a veteran.

Stop complaining about the Oline because it will only get better as they gel.