Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Jordan hasn't even reached 1500 yards yet in 22 games as a starter. So that's a horrible stat to bring up.

Turner has the skillset of the Jamal Lewis of late, which is a guy who hesitates before going into the hole. There's a reason it took Lewis nearly 320 carries to reach 1100 yards. He doesn't have that run your ass over mentality anymore when running between the tackles. Runners like Lewis and Turner turn it on, after they're downfield. Their problem is, that they can't downfield often times, without a wide open hole. Turner's a great change of pace back I just DON'T want him carrying my teams load, since he won't do it consistantly. If he was this amazing runningback, that was on the market, every team in the NFL would be after him. But he's not. He's a lowly former fifth round pick who thrives in a counter running system behind the NFL's best. San Diego had one of the most dominating lines in recent memory these last two years and that's evident when a guy named Jesse Chatman put up better numbers then Turner, with a better size/speed ratio and finds himself on practice squad's these days. He's a tremendous athlete, he's just not a fulltime runningback though. Martin never had a tremendous skillset, but he had vision and versatility, two things that Turner does not have.

2. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

This would be a horrendous trade for the Jets. You guys could trade down out of that spot, get an extra pick or two and STILL get a RB with Turner's skills late in the draft with one of those extra picks.

If I were you guys..I'd be pissed if your Front Office made that move.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I can't believe a thread about a bogus rumor has gone to 7 pages. I think there is a decent shot Turner ends up in Green but I don't put any stock into this rumor. Highly unlikely that we have even spoken to SD about Turner yet let alone have already agreed to part with our 1st round pick. Chances are this rumor is coming from SD camp trying to boost his value.

I find it unlikely that our FO would give upo a first round pick for anyone let alone a guy who hasn't proven to be capable of being the feuture RB that this team needs.. I'd love to have him, he would be a major upgrade over what we have now, not for a first round pick though.

4. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

I think he's worth our 1st. If thats the only way we get him, i wouldnt hesitate at all

5. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

yeah maybe we will get lucky and draft a RB like blair thomas! :grin:

6. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

I would like to point out that San Diego has a great running game. If your saying to yourself "wow this guy is the master of the obvious" your right. But one thing that has not been discussed t much is exactly that SD's run game.

They happen to have an awesome FB Lorenzo Neil or something like that that blocks for them. He is huge and is just about as important to their run game has their Turner and yes even the great LT.

What would LT or Turner be without an amazing FB to run behind? Most likely still very good. But the question is still there. Take away some of that Oline that is created around the run game and the question arises. Are the Running Backs going to produce the same way that you see in recent games? Will Turner be able to produce like he has with an Oline still trying to figure out their mojo?

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I just hate talking about ANY RB at this point because we have other, dire needs to fill. NO RB we go after is going anywhere with our unfinished, work-in-progress O-line. We need a legit RT and more work on that side.

Our D-line needs new blood also. Robertson is not a legit NT and needs to be moved... and we need a hell of a lot more pass-rush and another decent corner too, or we're going nowhere next year. I don't care if you bring in f*cking Superman as your next RB.

So, the thought of even wasting keystrokes talking about RB's right now seems idoitic, given that we need to address the other areas first. I'm sure Tangini is on this like flies on sh*t too. Sure, they're thinking RB, but not at the expense of "finishing what they started." Our running attack will automatically upgrade to some degree once we address the right side of the O-line.

8. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Great post man- I don't want this guy on the team, especially not for a 1st round pick. The Chatman analogy is great- guy put up better YPC than Turner.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

Jordan ran for over 1,000 and caught passes for over 500 in his first season. This was without a decent QB and a horrible offensive line.

How is that a fact? I don't see Turner hesitating to hit any holes when I watch him.

Yes heres a few reasons:

Injuries have taken away some speed
    Jail time and other off the field problems caused him to get out of shape

Turner? Yea, none of those things going for him.

Are we watching the same Turner? Has anyone else seen this Turner?

Off the top of my head, Barry Sanders is the only back who ever created his own holes.

Opinions stated as fact = bad.

The Jets have been rumored to be going after him for at least a year now. Many teams appear to be interested obviously, otherwise San Diego wouldn't be putting the kind of tender they are rumored to be putting on him.

Terrell Davis was a lowly 6th rounder. Curtis Martin was a lowly 3rd rounder. Priest Holmes? Undrafted. Tom Brady? 6th rounder.

Yea, nobody drafted behind the first and MAYBE the second round can become anything...

What? San Diego's been looking for a RT for two years now, and in '05 their line blew period. McNeil saved that left side, and the growth of Hardwick and Dielman made it one of the best. That was this year though.

Again, how do you know this stuff? Is this your opinion, or is this a factual statement that can be backed up with more than opinion? Lemme guess, because he runs behind the best RB in the game, he couldn't possibly be good?

When Turner has been on the field, he has done nothing but impress most. It's backed up by the fact that the Chargers are putting such a high tender on him (rumored), and even by how long the Jets have been rumored to be after him.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

A lot of these replies are also based off opinion. I guess you don't watch the same Turner as most people do. If Turner used his running style all of the time, he'd be injured extremely quickly.

Your point about LaMont Jordan, while it's a fair one, where has he been? He's started 22/32 games because he never carried a fulltime load and thus struggles to stay healthy because he's not used to the beating that an NFL runningback takes.

I never said anyone drafted low can't make it, but you still haven't told me anything I don't already know. Fact is, San Diego has had one of the best running attacks in the NFL the past two years and it's not just LT and Turner tearing defense's up. You are still shying away from the fact that Jesse Chatman was absolutely dominant in the same role as Turner and he was an equal athlete with better size then Turner. Give me Turner for a fourth or fifth, but I'm not taking a thusfar career backup for my first round pick, to come in and struggle to take a lot of carries, especially when we should be drafting an offensive lineman with that first pick.

People overrated this guy like crazy because he's a big man with wheels. So was Jordan and few people wanted to keep him. He doesn't run people over in between the tackles, most of his highlight films are based off of him running through wide open lanes, where the play is designed and running over a 205 lbs. safety. I just don't buy it.

If you're trading me Clinton Portis, a proven runner who has thusfar had one of the best starts ever in NFL history, then by all means I'll give you my first round pick. But a backup runningback behind the leagues best offensive line? C'mon. It's like buying a Chevrolet when you have enough for a Ferrari.

11. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

Clinton Portis has been run into the ground, and is now starting to show signs of wear and tear. Id rather trade our 1st for a guy who has impressed me and is likely very hungry to take on a feature role at the RB position. They aren't going to go after him if B.Shottenheimer says something like "hold on a minute guys, I've seen this guy up close and personel while I was on the coaching staff at SD, and I've got to tell you he just isnt worth a 1st rder". If they go and get him, you can be sure he got a glowing endorsement from Shottenheimer, and his opinion has more merit and carries more weight than any of ours. Based on what Ive seen from Turner, I think your all nuts for not being excited about the possibility of the Jets aquiring him regardless if it has to be for the 26th pick in the draft.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Schotty Jr. also sees him everyday working with the second team, and going against practice squad players. What a player does in practice doesn't always translate, especially since most players are trying not to get hurt there.

I think you're crazy if you're thinking about trading for an unproven back, in a system that allows backups to rush for more than 6 YPC, and trading a first round pick nonetheless.

13. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

B.Shottenheimer seeing him everyday in practice translates into a much more accurate opinion of his talent than either of us have of him. In the chances he's had, and the times I've seen him play,he has done nothing but impress me with his style of play, and with the stats he's put up. If there was a guy likely to be sitting there at#26 that I was crazy about then Id feel a lot differently, but there isnt. Just my opinion.

14. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i dont think theres a shot at tangini giving up a first rounder for him. the highest i think we would see offered from our FO is our 1st second rounder....and that may be pushing it...

schotty knows him well, and he may push to get him, but i doubt we will see anything liek that from the jets side. the giants....they might....

15. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

no way we take an OL with the first pick! thats just assinine! the draft is deep when it comes to the line and with 2 OL 1st rounders, theres no way we go that route again.

where do you get "few" ppl wanted jordan to stay? the only reason jordan didnt remain a jet was because he wanted a starting gig, and he wasnt going to move martin out of first on the depth chart. when did you start following the jets? it seems to me youre a bit backwards with some of your thoughts, and even more of your statements.