Jets will go WR with the 4th pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

On tape I have no concerns about his quickness as he lined up everywhere and showed it from the slot and running back position. His agility I can see he needs some improvement. Leaping ability he displayed on a regular against SEC DBs, check out the game he had vs Ol Miss.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm not really seeing it man. He made a couple nice catches down the field because he had good body positioning which I've said he does well but I'm not seeing leaping ability. His feet barely come off the ground. Check out the play at 5:14, it's like he has ankle weights on.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't see it either. rock and one other guy here really love him but I just don't see it either. same way a couple people last year liked fields and most of us didn't see it either. just the way it goes. it's why the draft is a crapshoot

4. Rockinz

He went up and high pointed the ball. Exactly what your supposed to do and did it twice.. It does seem though he doesn’t get off the ground too high. I’ll give you that for sure. I’m not sure if it’s because he can’t or if that’s just his playing style. On the play at 5:14 first off he was on empty as it was the last play of the game and it looked like he was trying to sell a flag.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

According to this chart - which isn't fact and is only speculative - it has Christian Watson pretty far down. If we could get Wilson, London, or Burks and then get Watson with a later pick that would be great!

Rockinz likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

I agree with most of your reasoning, except not necessarily your conclusion. I do think Wilson would be a good fit in the sense that Hill was, but he's really a lot like Moore physically, so if Wilson is gone when they go to pick, you suggest Dotson who I really like a lot, but given they have Moore IDT JD takes another guy like him. That said, if he takes London at #4 or #10 and "double dips" I could see Dotson maybe. If he waits until the 2nd round I'd like to see him take Watson who his size and speed and would complement Moore better IMO.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

The one thing Burks has going for him is that he's a big target with speed. But he doesn't really have sharp cuts and it makes me question his route running ability - shades of Mims.

Rockinz likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

i made that chart a bit ago. the rankings have changes since then. watson has moved up for sure. i'll probably do another after all the pro days as the draft gets closer and sites update their rankings. as of now watson seems to be a late 1st early 2nd but strange things happen when a team falls in love with a player

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Burks isn’t a polished route runner no doubt. That can be coached up though. His ability to dominate/impact games is what jumps off the screen for me. Arkansas used him everywhere and on decoys that just had defences account for #16 when he was on the field. Plus he played in a pro style offence. He will step in day 1 and be an AJ brown type player on any team he goes too.

Mims played at Baylor in a air raid type offence. Mims wasn’t asked to do much more than Go’s and Posts so he just wasn’t a developed route runner. It was Corey Coleman 2.0 with him. Baylor receivers are fools gold.

10. ColoradoContrails

I disagree that route running can be coached up much, especially when the player doesn't show the ability to make sharp cuts, that's why I highlighted that shortcoming. Making sharp cuts is a function of excellent "twitch" muscles and not everyone has that. IDT Burks does. If you can show me tape of him displaying that ability I'd reconsider my POV.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

honestly though. how many times have we heard you can teach routes but you can't teach size and speed only to watch the physical freak bust and the route runner have a good career?

mattyd99 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Didn’t he have 7 receptions for 130 yards and a TD in the highlights above, and we are discussing if he can jump?

The man is 6’3 and 220lbs, how high do we want him to jump?

I’m sure he can run sweeps, my question is, is he considered a possession receiver? I’m more concerned if he can line up outside and get separation.

Rockinz likes this.
  13. Rockinz

That’s not his strength but it’s still above average. Watch the A&M tape.

His ability isn’t a crisp route running technician his game is a playmaker with excellent size (thickness/girth), football speed and extends plays after the catch along with strong/safe hands.

The route running technician on our team is Moore and Burks the different flavour being a miss match nightmare.

14. Rockinz

He ran every route in the tree all over the field.. can it be improved? Yes, as should most college prospects.

15. GasedAndConfused

if we take him, i hope your right

16. Rockinz

The crazy thing he consistently put up those kind of numbers over 3 years in the SEC.

Arkansas had to use him all over the field because he got doubled a lot on the outside. When he did get singled up on the outside he used his body to shield back shoulder throws and 50/50 balls.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Rockinz

I hope so too. Whoever we take I will root for. I have my reservations about a few guys and even dislike for a few but I think it’s inevitable we are drafting at least 1 WR if not 2.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Do you think he’s a better version of Quincy Enunwa? Same size, same build, similar 40yard numbers?

Serious question!

19. Rockinz

It’s a decent comp. I can see that as his floor.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Zach Wilson is a mediocre east-west passer. He is a good north-south passer.

The question is: when will Mike Lafleur start calling plays that let his QB succeed?

It was no accident that every other QB on the Jets last year played better in Mike Lafleur's offense than Wilson did. The question is whether the Jets have gotten this message clearly or whether they are going to keep asking Wilson to do things he does not do well.

The best way to win in the NFL is to ask your players to do the things they do well.